An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Vocation Quotes

tinytherese

Indwelling Trinity

My favorites:

Come let us make something beautiful for God ! Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

I looked for one who would comfort me and found none..... Psalms

O consuming fire! Spirit of Love- descend within me and reproduce in me, as it were and Incarnation of the Word that I may be to him another humanity where in He may renew His mystery..... Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity.

The life of the priest like that of the Carmelite nun is an advent which prepares the Incarnation in souls.... Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity.

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

Abba Antony the Great

The Abba and the Bowman

A hunter in the desert saw Abba Antony enjoying himself with the brethren and he was shocked. Wanting to show him that it was necessary sometimes to meet the needs of the brethren, the old man said to him,
"Put an arrow in your bow and shoot it."
So he did. The old man then said,
"Shoot another,"
and he did so. Then the old man said,
"Shoot yet again,"
and the hunter replied,
"If I bend my bow so much I will break it."
Then the old man said to him,
"It is the same with the work of God. If we stretch the brethren beyond measure they will soon break. Sometimes it is necessary to come down to meet their needs."
When he heard these words the hunter was pierced by compunction and, greatly edified by the old man, he went away. As for the brethren, they went home strengthened.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Staretz' date='02 March 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1267587087' post='2065699']
Abba Antony the Great

The Abba and the Bowman

A hunter in the desert saw Abba Antony enjoying himself with the brethren and he was shocked. Wanting to show him that it was necessary sometimes to meet the needs of the brethren, the old man said to him,
"Shoot another,"
"Shoot yet again,"
and the hunter replied,
"It is the same with the work of God. If we stretch the brethren beyond measure they will soon break. Sometimes it is necessary to come down to meet their needs."
When he heard these words the hunter was pierced by compunction and, greatly edified by the old man, he went away. As for the brethren, they went home strengthened.
[/quote]

Oooh, I've never heard/read this one before! I like it - a lot!

Thank you!!! *saves*

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Staretz' date='02 March 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1267587087' post='2065699']
Abba Antony the Great

The Abba and the Bowman

"Shoot another,"
"Shoot yet again,"
and the hunter replied,
[/quote]

I love it! +1 !

• 1 year later...

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1324045351' post='2352234']
I didn't know there was already a thread on this topic. Is there something you people have NOT thought of.
[/quote]

I don't think so... :P

I'm joking! :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1324045351' post='2352234']
I didn't know there was already a thread on this topic. Is there something you people have NOT thought of.
[/quote]

Very little :)

• 2 years later...
Ancilla Domini

I don't know if this qualifies as a "vocation quote," but here is one of my favorite quotes (by one of my favorite people. :pray:)

"Hidden away from the glare and noise of worldly living, we are enclosed in the womb of holy Church. I walk down the cloisters, and my heart moves to a single tune: Lord, it is good, so good to be here!" – Mother Mary Francis, PCC

brandelynmarie

I have often thought that on my own when at church...oh, how I want to live under the same roof as the Blessed Sacrament!

PhuturePriest

Yet there are souls to be saved! So many parishes are without priests; so many children are deprived of all religious teaching and of the Sacraments. Is so rich a harvest to be lost for a lack of laborers? It is well worth his while to face every difficulty, to master every obstacle. -- The Cure D'Ars by Abbe Francois Trochu

Sponsa-Christi

One of my favorite quotes on consecrated virginity from St. Ambrose:

"...Virginity is not praiseworthy because it is found in martyrs, but because it itself makes martyrs."

(from book I, chapter 3 of De Virginibus)

Mary+Immaculate<3

When Mother Teresa was asked when she and other women were convicted of their vocation she simply replied, "She knows, she knows."

One of my favorite quotes on consecrated virginity from St. Ambrose:

"...Virginity is not praiseworthy because it is found in martyrs, but because it itself makes martyrs."

(from book I, chapter 3 of De Virginibus)

Yes...echoing St. Ambrose, Charles de Foucald writes:

"...Live as though you were going to have to die as a martyr today."   (Found in a notebook after his death)

In his journal he also notes:

"Jesus speaks:

Your vocation-- Preach the Gospel silently as I did in My hidden life, and as also did Mary and Joseph.

Your rule: Do what I did, in every situation ask yourself:  What would our Lord have done?  Then do that.

This is your only rule...