An Old School Catholic Message Board

"a Personal Relationship With Jesus"

Guest crazyprolifekid

Guest crazyprolifekid

My roommate is a born again. The more i talk to her the more i realize that there is more to Christianity then going to church. How do i achieve a Personal relationship with Christ?

Thy Geekdom Come

This is an important question that anyone starting to take faith serious must ask himself or herself.

Jesus tells us that He is with us always, and He truly is, both spiritually and in the Eucharist. The greatest blessing He gave the Church was the Eucharist and the Mass, but it is often unappreciated because most people do not go beyond the surface. The majority of people in the pews don't know how great the Mass really is. The Son of God loved us and wanted to draw near to us even as we pulled away from Him and chose sin. He is like the loving husband who longs to make up with his wife when she has been unfaithful (see the Book of Hosea, it's filled with this imagery). He speaks to us through His Scriptures and offers us His Body (His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, all that He is). He asks us to be one with Him in the Mass, in the Eucharist, and that is something our non-Catholic friends and neighbors do not have. He asks us to love Him, so that we can be filled with His love. He asks us to lay down all that we have and are to accept all that He wants to give us and become all that He desires us to be. He offers us everything we could ever truly desire and asks us to drop only those things that fail to satisfy. There are hard times and difficulties because we are used to doing things our own way, but He challenges us to offer up those things that are no good for us or fall short of the riches He has to offer. Essentially, He wants to bless us all abundantly, not necessarily with money or food or wordly things (saints come from every kind of background and status), but with Himself.

If He sounds like someone you want a personal relationship with, then the first step is to tell Him that. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and teach you how to pray. If you are Catholic and are aware of any [url="http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1854"]mortal sins[/url], then go to Confession, attend Mass every week, pray every day and offer yourself to Jesus. Do good things, try to root out sin in your life. In the early stages especially, find a good group of Catholics close to your own age. You can use the support. Learn about your faith (I can recommend books if you send me a message), speak with a priest who might be able to help you more specifically with your own situation.

It is hard, especially when first starting out, but Jesus calls to you and wants you to come to Him.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Those here who have "Church Scholar" under their names are very knowledgeable and usually have degrees in theology. Those who have "Church Militant" under their names are faithful and know their faith well and have proven it by defending their faith. They will all be very helpful.

God bless,

Micah