An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-traditional Wedding Dresses

friendofJPII

Non-traditional wedding dresses  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A girl I work with recently got married in a black dress (no joke). Granted, it was just a court wedding, and she's not planning a church wedding till she gets back to the States, but I still thought it was a rather odd color choice. :mellow:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1607443' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:27 PM']+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, but there are so many options out there right now, that i truly do not believe our only options are 'hot mama' or 'grandma moses'. there are internet stores (some based in utah as you said), there are always the 'misses' sections of stores (instead of the junior section which is mostly that very immodest stuff). even in a juniors section though, you can make things modest (not just talking about hemming or sewing). i put on a 'girls day' event that had a modest fashion show from the juniors section. there are modest options out there, you just have to look harder![/quote]

I agree completely with you Red! I don't think that we are left with either looking less than tasteful or looking like we are 90 years old. I have had the experience of trying to find modest maternity clothes lol. This seems to be a difficult task, but all I can say is I've invested in a number of under shirts as to not scandalize anyone lol. Under shirts are a quick and easy fix for shirts that are either too thin or are too low cut. Layering is always beneficial!

[quote name='StColette' post='1607518' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:36 PM']I agree completely with you Red! I don't think that we are left with either looking less than tasteful or looking like we are 90 years old. I have had the experience of trying to find modest maternity clothes lol. This seems to be a difficult task, but all I can say is I've invested in a number of under shirts as to not scandalize anyone lol. Under shirts are a quick and easy fix for shirts that are either too thin or are too low cut. Layering is always beneficial![/quote]
+J.M.J.+
oh, i have a site for you, hang on, lemme find it.

modbe has great stuff - [url="http://www.modbeclothing.com/Category_Landing_page.asp?Supercategory=Maternity"]http://www.modbeclothing.com/Category_Land...egory=Maternity[/url]

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1607529' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:53 PM']+J.M.J.+
oh, i have a site for you, hang on, lemme find it.

modbe has great stuff - [url="http://www.modbeclothing.com/Category_Landing_page.asp?Supercategory=Maternity"]http://www.modbeclothing.com/Category_Land...egory=Maternity[/url][/quote]

Merci!

+J.M.J.+
i know of another place, but i can't think of it. when i do, i'll let you know. it's very stylish yet modest (for ex. their camisoles and tops are longer so they don't show belly)

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1607533' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:56 PM'](for ex. their camisoles and tops are longer so they don't show belly)[/quote]

lol which is getting more and more difficult to find lol

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Barbarus' post='1607130' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:00 AM']I mean, I have known for a while that this is the guy, and we've been talking marriage since our second month of dating, but somehow the dress made it real-er.[/quote]

sounds like Sarah and I, we just knew from the beginning, we could both see and feel it as could her father the first time we met...:love: I better stop before I get too emotional

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1607563' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:29 PM']sounds like Sarah and I, we just knew from the beginning, we could both see and feel it as could her father the first time we met...:love: I better stop before I get too emotional[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
aww, you two are cute. :love:

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1607563' date='Jul 24 2008, 04:29 PM']sounds like Sarah and I, we just knew from the beginning, we could both see and feel it as could her father the first time we met... :love: I better stop before I get too emotional[/quote]

lol that's too cute!

My fave part of picking out the dress was when you squat down in them to rest lol cause some make it hard to sit. You generally look like a cupcake when you squat down lol

homeschoolmom

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606494' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:12 PM']I totally agree with you that modesty is more important than color, and that a woman's purity is not determined soley by the color of her dress.[/quote]

Sorry... I must say something here... a woman's purity is not determined one iota by the color of her dress. In other words, the color does not in any way determine her purity.

friendofJPII

[quote name='StColette' post='1607518' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:36 PM']I agree completely with you Red! I don't think that we are left with either looking less than tasteful or looking like we are 90 years old. I have had the experience of trying to find modest maternity clothes lol. This seems to be a difficult task, but all I can say is I've invested in a number of under shirts as to not scandalize anyone lol. Under shirts are a quick and easy fix for shirts that are either too thin or are too low cut. Layering is always beneficial![/quote]

True, I personally like Khols department store, they have a nice selection of modest AND stylish clothing (not sure if there is one throughout the country.... Some stores, tho, like New York & Co, purposely make every almost shirt low cut

Some of those "Catholic modesty sites" tho, take things to the extreme....

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1607443' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:27 PM']+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, but there are so many options out there right now, that i truly do not believe our only options are 'hot mama' or 'grandma moses'. there are internet stores (some based in utah as you said), there are always the 'misses' sections of stores (instead of the junior section which is mostly that very immodest stuff). even in a juniors section though, you can make things modest (not just talking about hemming or sewing). i put on a 'girls day' event that had a modest fashion show from the juniors section. there are modest options out there, you just have to look harder![/quote]
Try J. C. Penneys catelog.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='1607518' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:36 PM']I agree completely with you Red! I don't think that we are left with either looking less than tasteful or looking like we are 90 years old. I have had the experience of trying to find modest maternity clothes lol. This seems to be a difficult task, but all I can say is I've invested in a number of under shirts as to not scandalize anyone lol. Under shirts are a quick and easy fix for shirts that are either too thin or are too low cut. Layering is always beneficial![/quote]
I had to sew the neck on one of my maternity shirts so it wasn't as low-cut (it was a [b]really [/b]low V-neck). I wish I'd gotten a black turtleneck to go under it, too. That would've solved a lot of problems (with other clothes, too).

friendofJPII

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1607600' date='Jul 24 2008, 04:27 PM']Sorry... I must say something here... a woman's purity is not determined one iota by the color of her dress. In other words, the color does not in any way determine her purity.[/quote]

I don't know about that, colors do convey feeling/meaning...I would question the woman who would wear black or red as a wedding dress....I'm not saying that necessarily means she is a loose woman (we shouldn't even be insinuating such things about our sisters, we are all sinners) but her color of dress would not be appropriate for such a sacred occasion.

Edited by friendofJPII

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1607624' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:48 PM']but her color of dress would not be appropriate for such a sacred occasion.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
because you say so? :huh: because it's your personal taste? what if it's a 'family' color? what if the dress is the dress her mom/grandma wore? what if it's a cultural thing? what if it's a country thing? or what if they just like the color? :hehe: