An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Twilight Thread...

pan!c139

Twilight?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK I just read Twilight, and I'm IN LOVE!!!! it's only the best romance novel in the world, and the movie is coming out and I absolutlely love it and I wish Edward was real, because he is basically the dream guy.

I thought it was cool how Edward and his family are "good" vampires because they restrict themselves to eating only animals, but still, if they are around, and a human's blood is out, they can barely resist. The book is really good, it's a good example of temperance and fighting off temptation; Edward could easily kill Bella and wants to eat her, but they both resist tempations of their own.

I found these cool avatars that describe exactly how I feel:

"Thanks to Stephanie Meyer, now I'll never find a man"
"Edward Cullen - highering the standards for future boyfriends"
"Whoever says they don't have an imaginary boyfriend clearly hasn't read twilight"
"I never got my letter from Hogwarts, so now I'm moving to Forks to live with the Cullens"
"Edward Cullen - I love a guy who plays piano and sparkles"
"When life gives me lemons, I throw them back and demand EDWARD!!!"
"Dracula? Pffft, more like Edward Cullen"
"Twilight - because we all secretly own two copies"
"When other girls dreamed of being ballet dancers, I kinda wanted to be a vampire"

You wouldn't get it if you haven't read the book, but they're pretty funny.

If you've read it wats ur favorite part in the book?
I love the part when he saves her towards the end!

Okay I got it out of my system. I'm better now.

TeresaBenedicta

I refuse to read them, because Anne Rice owns Vampire novels until the end of the time. 'Nough said.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='pan!c139' post='1611552' date='Jul 29 2008, 02:41 PM']Fine then be that way! :P :rolleyes:[/quote]

Haha. But, I do plan on seeing the movie... 'specially since the kids who played Cedric Diggory will be playing Edward.

From what I've heard, the story line's good and the characters are good, but the writing isn't much. So, I figure I won't have to waste my time reading it, I'll just watch it and get only the good parts!

The story isn't very exciting until the end in the book, but nevertheless it's good. What makes it [b]GREAT[/b] is the characters - you really care about them. And yes, Robert Pattinson is glorious. But still not good enough to be Edward, just because Edward is described as the most beautiful, god-like man ever...but Robert P. is pretty close to how I imagined him.

The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn by Aidan Chambers is an incredible book too. No vampires, but fantastic characters and a deep and intricate and amazing story!

no, I don't think hate is it.

I think peeps just don't know. I didn't know until the trailer was out.

And I've read all 3 books.

I didn't like the books, but they were okay. I wouldn't recommend for teens not strong in their faith or who don't have a clear idea what love really is. And this "love" between Bella and Edward NEEDS to be contested. While some may argue that Edward and Bella resist temptation, I would argue that they don't. In fact, I would argue that they invite temptation and dance that fine line quite often.

Edwards says many times that he shouldn't be with Bella. Not for heroic reasons, per se, but for the fact that he will kill her and goes back and forth between "loving" her (in what sense?) and wanting to drink her blood. So he saves her life. He was caught between "wasting blood" and the fact that "he just didn't want to see her die." I would venture, at the time in the book, it was "wasted blood" because he hadn't made the choice to not kill her until waaaaaaaaaaay into the book. Which is fine. He is developing as a character. I just think Bella works against him instead of with him most of the time.

They sleep together in the same bed, her dad totally unaware. Which is why they dance that fine line so often, she can't control her "spontaneous passionate kissing" and he has to fight the urge not to shred her neck. Until the end of book 1, where he does make the choice. however Bella is always insisting they "try" to sleep together. (Book 3) I don't want to bring spoilers if you haven't read it, but that made me certain that there was no "resisting" temptation, only avoiding Bella from being killed. Also, I have a problem with Bella not caring about Hell, (this is another discussion she has with Edward) that vampires are damned and she doesn't care. Life isn't worth living without him. Pretty serious thought. Is anyone worth the damnation of your soul? It just poses questions that Bella doesn't seriously seem to think about.

And book 2 is just drenched with the theme "I can't live without you or I'll die" with Bella in deep depression throughout the book, to the point where she endangers herself many times. I have a problem with that suicidal theme that runs through the books only to be redeemed with a returned love. Romeo and Juliet was depressing enough. And the lady that was praying the rosary getting eaten by vampires? Why a lady "with a rosary"? (book 2)

Anyway, that's just my 2cents. I am waiting for that fourth book because I want these characters redeemed in some way. But I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and I will see the movie.

I can be shallow like that. :smokey:

Edited by jmjtina

Wow, thanks for shedding light. I havent read the second or third yet, but thank you very much for what you told me!

I sat for a long time thinking about these books.

What everyone was saying about them (really highly praised, etc) didn't jive with what I thought about them as a whole.

You might feel differently. And that's fine. I just thought it was worth thinking and discussing. I'm definitely the minority on this. And I'm fine with that as well. I could go into it more, but there are way to many spoilers to make a point.

^_^

Edited by jmjtina

Well I've only read the first one, and not much happens in the first one - but now that you take into consideration the second and third books, and give your thoughts on them, it really makes sense. So thanks, it helped.

[quote name='pan!c139' post='1612361' date='Jul 30 2008, 12:13 AM']Well I've only read the first one, and not much happens in the first one - but now that you take into consideration the second and third books, and give your thoughts on them, it really makes sense. So thanks, it helped.[/quote]

so are you going to finish the books before August 2? :coffee:

tinytherese

I can definitely see where one would be concerned about the not being afraid of damnation, the temptations, etc. Especially the suicide thing. I couldn't help but notice the reasoning behind immoral choices. The constant really of lying, stealing, etc.

The second one was very psychological what with Bella going crazy. It was actually having a bad affect on me, or at least contributing to some issues that I was having and I blew it out of proportion. I'd preferrably not go into the details of that on here.

I question if she really loves Edward. It's more of an obsession really. She just can't live without him, which is being co-dependent. A very unhealthy thing to be. As much as I shudder at the thought of Bella moving on and forgetting about Edward, it would have been a sign of true strength and character that she didn't need him in order to have a life. That's how she fell into the hands of Jacob. She needed someone to hold her up and help her have a life again instead of being a confident and independent woman.

Team Jacob? Seriously? Who could possibly picture them as anything more than friends? I liked him earlier on in the series and then after you know what happened he became a totally different person- even a jerk to Bella at some points.