An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Yo Say The St. Michael Prayer

picchick

How do you say the St. Michael Prayer?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am just interested.

I say,
St. Mike, the archangel, defend us in battle be our protection against wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and Do thou oh Prince of the Heavenly Host thrust into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

I don't know...thrust sounds more heavy than cast. I like to imagine satan being THRUST with one big heafty push into hell. :lol:

+J.M.J.+
this is how i say it:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of the Holy Spirit, [b]cast[/b] into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl [b]throughout[/b] the world seeking the ruin of souls.

i bolded what's different from yours.

i know some people who say "by the power of God" though, instead of Holy Spirit.

I do like "prowl" over "wander". It sounds more "predatory", which is what those demons are.

But I prefer "cast" to "thrust". "Thrust" sounds like it takes too much effort on Saint Michael's part. When I think of "cast", I think of casting dice which is pretty effortless. I have to believe that when you are on the side of truth and have the love for God in your heart, that casting these spirits to the place where they belong is pretty effortless. For us it achieving that state of being on the side of Truth and having the love for God in our hearts that takes the effort. Saint Michael on the other had is already there. ;)

lilac_angel

I used to say "thrust," but when I started saying it more with my husband, he'd always say "cast," so now I say "cast" more. He says "cast" because it's used on the Rosary CD. I have to admit it was a bit of a grudging change, though. haha. I never said anything, though. maybe I should bring it up. :D I think I used to say "wander" too, but now "prowl." hehe

VeniteAdoremus

I think "cast" sounds better than "thrust" because it gives me the feeling of going a looooooong waaaaaay dooooooown instead of five steps backwards (which I have with "thust"). I wouldn't use it for the effortless reason, although that does make sense, but I think it detracts from the utter coolness of St. Michael. I like to think it did take some effort, so I look infinitesimally better in the comparison ;)

I'll save you from my version... because it begins with "Heilige aartsengel Michael, bescherm ons in de strijd". 'Nuff said.

LouisvilleFan

I tend to opt for whatever's easier to say, physically speaking, and flows better. "Thrust" and "wander throughout" don't seem to flow as naturally off the tongue as "cast" and "prowl about."

But, St. Mike? He's not really a drinking buddy... shouldn't we call him Michael? :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1612850' date='Jul 30 2008, 02:50 PM']I'll save you from my version... because it begins with "Heilige aartsengel Michael, bescherm ons in de strijd". 'Nuff said.[/quote]

Although, it would be cool to learn these prayers in a foreign language, whether it's Latin :incense: or another vernacular tongue. I'd like to learn the St. Michael Prayer in Espanol. :sombrero:

littlesister

For the traditional prayer, "thrust" and "prowl" has always been our familiar version.

Here's another one, taken from a work called The Skelligs" by E. Barr. Although the prayer is contemporary, it is clearly modeled on something much older:

Gripping sword and shield in hand,
Michael the Victorious!
Michael of the Sea!
Michael of the high places,
Angel of Light, protect me!
From all that would harm
From all that would darken,
From all that would turn
and shadow my way...

Michael the Victorious!
Michael of my heart!
Michael hope for the hopeless!
Snare me with your spear!
Float me on your shield!
Bear me to the Spirit of Rest!
Carry me to the Son of Peace!
Lead me to the Father of Love!

He's a great patron. God bless us one and all.

God Conquers

I say it slightly different too!

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us [b]in this day of[/b] battle. Be our [b]safeguard[/b] against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. Do thou, Oh Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of [b]God, cast[/b] into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who [b]prowl [i] now[/i][/b] throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen!

Then I do a triple fist pump.

TeresaBenedicta

It depends on what others are using (I know I'm bad, I rarely pray it on my own). I mostly have it memorized. In fact, I apparentally do, as I just said it... but then I got confused because I was reading this thread and so now I don't know which words I would use naturally, haha. I believe I would use "cast" and "prowl". I'm not sure though!