An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Yo Say The St. Michael Prayer

picchick

How do you say the St. Michael Prayer?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1612857' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:53 PM']I tend to opt for whatever's easier to say, physically speaking, and flows better. "Thrust" and "wander throughout" don't seem to flow as naturally off the tongue as "cast" and "prowl about."

But, St. Mike? He's not really a drinking buddy... shouldn't we call him Michael? :)[/quote]

There is reasoning behind that...

:( I admit. I have trouble spelling Michael, Raphael, and Rachael correctly. St. Mike was an easy way to cover it. I fixed it in the title and poll but didn't go to fix the Mike...I say Michael when I pray. And I am working on the spelling. I don't know why I have trouble. I think I self doubt my spelling on those words. I always trip up....sorry. However, I do not mean that offensively. I have no drinking buddies and the saints are my buddies. Anyways, I will get the spelling down.

Meg

IcePrincessKRS

St. Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou, oh Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the divine power of God, thrust into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

I say it like this:

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in praelio; contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militiae Caelestis, satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute in infernum detrude.

BTW, there's no "in this day of" in the original Latin... just to let everyone who says that know...

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1614815' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:43 AM']I say it like this:

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in praelio; contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps militiae Caelestis, satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute in infernum detrude.

BTW, there's no "in this day of" in the original Latin... just to let everyone who says that know...[/quote]

And the translation....prowl or wander, cast or thrust?

This will be interesting...I wonder what the translation is...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='picchick' post='1614606' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:24 PM']I have no drinking buddies and the saints are my buddies.[/quote]

Would be pretty awesome to have some saints has drinking buddies. I don't think St. Francis of Assisi would be too interested in drinking (post-conversion, that is), but he'd enjoy the comraderie. St. Augustine and Blessed Giorgio Frassati would be good company. Is there a cause for GK Chesterton? :)

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1615175' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:14 PM']Would be pretty awesome to have some saints has drinking buddies. I don't think St. Francis of Assisi would be too interested in drinking (post-conversion, that is), but he'd enjoy the comraderie. St. Augustine and Blessed Giorgio Frassati would be good company. Is there a cause for GK Chesterton? :)[/quote]

:lol:
Jesus drank wine...I am sure many of the saints did. :)

How cool would that be? Partying up with the saints? I am picturing it now...it is really cool. We'd all be laughing at each other's past lives and it would be cool because we'd all be Catholic or whatnot. I wouldn't stick out so to say. Awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

This is how I pray the St Michael Prayer...

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us this day of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts by the (Divine Power) of God, thrust into Hell Satan, and all the evil spirits, who prowl throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

A few remarks. I put "Divine Power" in brackets cause I pray with one group who adds that, and another who doesn't. Also, there are some people who say "world", and some who say "earth". I dunno... mundo is "world", so I'm going with that one.

so, in case it's not clear, I chose thrust (cause St Michael was laying the Godly smackdown on Satan in the beginning of it all, and still does) and prowl, cause scripturally, St Paul mentions the devil is like a lion, prowling for someone to swallow up.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1614815' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:43 AM']I say it like this:

BTW, there's no "in this day of" in the original Latin... just to let everyone who says that know...[/quote]
:cool: I knew you'd do that. ^_^ I was considering coming over to Latin on this prayer soon, but first I have to round off the Pater Noster...

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1615175' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:14 PM']Would be pretty awesome to have some saints has drinking buddies. I don't think St. Francis of Assisi would be too interested in drinking (post-conversion, that is), but he'd enjoy the comraderie. St. Augustine and Blessed Giorgio Frassati would be good company. Is there a cause for GK Chesterton? :)[/quote]
Man, that's an awesome idea. The last two would be pretty awesome. Bl. Giorgio is a modern saint, who probably wouldn't mind chillin 20th century style. G.K. Would probably want some Whiskey on the rocks (I think it's whisky... how does that sailboat thing go again?)

[quote name='picchick' post='1615201' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:38 PM']:lol:
Jesus drank wine...I am sure many of the saints did. :)

How cool would that be? Partying up with the saints? I am picturing it now...it is really cool. We'd all be laughing at each other's past lives and it would be cool because we'd all be Catholic or whatnot. I wouldn't stick out so to say. Awesome.[/quote]

Yep... laughin it up, and singing songs of joy, then havin those not-so-awkward silent moments where we sit and just... chill :mellow:

JM + JT

I really think a standard translation should be made.

My school's patron is St. Michael and so we pray it every Friday. Most students don't know it, but the few that do have almost unique translations because of all the "options."

Today in my Journalism class my teacher chose me as the class "chaplain" whose role it is to say a prayer before the beginning of class. I chose to say the St. Michael prayer since he's our patron and since it was the first day of class. It seemed as though there were three of us saying it, but it all sounded like mumbling at the parts where there are different words one can use.

[quote name='picchick' post='1612656' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:08 PM']I am just interested.

I say,
St. Mike, the archangel, defend us in battle be our protection against wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and Do thou oh Prince of the Heavenly Host thrust into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

I don't know...thrust sounds more heavy than cast. I like to imagine satan being THRUST with one big heafty push into hell. :lol:[/quote]

St. Michael the archangel defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devi. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou O Prince of the heavenly host, by the divine power of God and in the Name of Jesus Christ cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. O glorious St. Michael, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ, pray for us that we may be made worthy of Hi promises.

I know the last part is really a separate "petition" but I learned the St Michael prayer WITH the last part so for me it's "all one" now. Also, I personally added the in the Name of Jesus Christ, there is just SOMETHING ABOUT THAT NAME (especially when it comes to kicking some evil spirit "but" <big smile>) and I really don't think St. Michael or Jesus minds....so I go ahead with it.

Pax

Edited by osapientia

• 1 month later...
missionarybelle

St. michael the archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. may God protect us we humbly pray, and do thou oh prince of hte heavenly hosts, by the power of God, cast into hell satan, and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

cast,
power of God,
prowl.

Jason taught me it. This is what I say:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl the earth, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

thrust
power of God
prowl the earth (no about)

eagle_eye222001

Had to say the St. Michaels prayer to figure out why words I use.

St. Michael the Archangel defend us in :sword:, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the :devil:...may God rebuke....thrust into hell....prowl...Amen

[quote name='salterrae' post='1633014' date='Aug 20 2008, 06:12 PM']JM + JT

I really think a standard translation should be made.

My school's patron is St. Michael and so we pray it every Friday. Most students don't know it, but the few that do have almost unique translations because of all the "options."

Today in my Journalism class my teacher chose me as the class "chaplain" whose role it is to say a prayer before the beginning of class. I chose to say the St. Michael prayer since he's our patron and since it was the first day of class. It seemed as though there were three of us saying it, but it all sounded like mumbling at the parts where there are different words one can use.[/quote]
I agree! it would be nice to have one that's a little more standard.

I learned with a phrase I haven't seen in here yet... I say "be our safeguard" instead of "be our protection. I kind of like it, but I might switch just because protection is what everyone else says.

I don't know if I say "thrust" or "cast". I think it's whatever comes out, since I've made an effort to learn the one I didn't learn originally... whichever that is. I think I usually say "thrust".

I learned with "wander".