An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pro-abortion Or Pro-choice

Didymus

From the death merchants themselves:notice 47% of abortions are repeats.

July 2008

INCIDENCE OF ABORTION
• Nearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended, and four in 10 of these are terminated by abortion.[1] Twenty-two percent of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.[2]

• Forty percent of pregnancies among white women, 69% among blacks and 54% among Hispanics are unintended.

• In 2005, 1.21 million abortions were performed, down from 1.31 million in 2000. From 1973 through 2005, more than 45 million legal abortions occurred.[2]

• Each year, about two percent of women aged 15-44 have an abortion; 47% of them have had at least one previous abortion.[3]

Number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44, by year

• At least half of American women will experience an unintended pregnancy by age 45[4], and, at current rates, about one-third will have had an abortion.[5,6]

WHO HAS ABORTIONS?
• Fifty percent of U.S. women obtaining abortions are younger than 25: Women aged 20–24 obtain 33% of all abortions, and teenagers obtain 17%.[7]

• Thirty-seven percent of abortions occur to black women, 34% to non-Hispanic white women, 22% to Hispanic women and 8% to women of other races.**

• Forty-three percent of women obtaining abortions identify themselves as Protestant, and 27% as Catholic.[3]

• Women who have never married obtain two-thirds of all abortions.[3]

• About 60% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children.[7]

• The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level ($9,570 for a single woman with no children) is more than four times that of women above 300% of the poverty level (44 vs. 10 abortions per 1,000 women). This is partly because the rate of unintended pregnancies among poor women (below 100% of poverty) is nearly four times that of women above 200% of poverty* (112 vs. 29 per 1,000 women[3,1]

• The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[8]

CONTRACEPTIVE USE
• Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[9]

• Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[9]

• Eight percent of women who have abortions have never used a method of birth control; nonuse is greatest among those who are young, poor, black, Hispanic or less educated.[9]

• About half of unintended pregnancies occur among the 11% of women who are at risk for unintended pregnancy but are not using contraceptives. Most of these women have practiced contraception in the past.[1,10]

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Didymus' post='1662581' date='Sep 24 2008, 09:13 AM']and what exactly is your experience?[/quote]

Well I don't really have time for an adequate answer to this question, but it has been far more extensive than I would like. I have taught in intercity schools, bioth Public and catholic for sometime now, and have unfortuantly had, if I am recounting correctly, 16 students in 7th and 8th grade who got pregnant. Those that were in abject poverty ALL had there baby, those that had abortions were either middle class or upper middle class and were worried abot "ruining there lives". I have also had personal experiance with at least 20 women who, as adults, had unexpected pregnancies those that answered that by having an abortion were not those who society would say "had no other choice", the truely poor agian ALL had the baby, it was those who were middle class who did not, in several cases it was simply a matter of staying middle class, they just couldn't stand the idea of being "poor", and were to selfish to go through pregnancy and then give up the child for adoption. In some cases the father pressured the women, I would say he too is culpable as a murderer. Many, many, years ago I helped with crisis intervention as part of my Apostolic work when i was a postulate for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. My experiances there were not very differant, in the main, though certianly not universally, the middle class girls were more likely to kill there child that those in real poverty.

So that is my experiance.

Whats yours?

Don John of Austria

[color="#FF0000"]• The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level ($9,570 for a single woman with no children) is more than four times that of women above 300% of the poverty level (44 vs. 10 abortions per 1,000 women). This is partly because the rate of unintended pregnancies among poor women (below 100% of poverty) is nearly four times that of women above 200% of poverty* (112 vs. 29 per 1,000 women[3,1][/color]

This is a desceptive statistic, but I don't have time to adress why right now, I will have to later.

Don John of Austria

Very briefly, according to the Census Bureau about 12.5 % of americans are in poverty, meaning that 1 in 8 women are in poverty, so taking just women as a whole ( not accounting for racial concentration in other catagories which might increase or decrease abortion rates) if women in povert had an 4 abortions for every 1 a women out of poverty( which by the way is NOT what te above statistic says, but just for arguement) had, then women out of poverty the women who where not impoverished would still be having 7 out of 11 abortions. of course it is a higher rate than this, but I will have to go into that later.

as a full-time student, I would have to admit I have comparatively little experience in the field, aside from being a side-walk counselor, founder of the pro-life group on campus, and a state officer for Students for Life.

But I usually try not to base my own opinions about the movement on some significant experience that I have gained, but rather what I see from the level I am at in the movement.

I have great respect for your line of work. But I also must admit that I have heard differently from other individuals who also work with women facing unexpected pregnancies.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Didymus' post='1614693' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:00 PM']This may have been discussed before, but I really don't want to hack away at an ancient thread.

Even if it was already debated, I really believe we can cover new ground in this new thread, so here we go.

Socrates and I were just about to start discussing this in the "Anti-Obama or Pro-McCain" thread. I mentioned briefly that I do not follow the typical pro-life habit of referring to our 'opponents' as being 'pro-abortion,' but rather 'pro-choice.'

Here is Socrates' response, followed by my initial response:

I will return to this thread in a little bit. My bad, I've just been doing a lot of work around the house..[/quote]

imo, "pro-choice" = sissified version of "pro-abortion" made to hide the truth. i use both in different circumstances.

when addressing pro-choicers, i use "pro-choice" to make sure they know they're being addressed. when addressing abortion specifically, i use "pro-abortion" to address everyone.
e.g. "you can't be Christian and pro-choice" (makes sure they know they're being addressed in case they don't consider themselves pro-abortion).
e.g. "God is not pro-abortion"

• 3 weeks later...

As a pregnancy-counsellor, one remark I hear all the time from women seeking an abortion is:" I have NO CHOICE"!
So the term "pro-choice" is an absolute misnomer!

As a pregnancy-counsellor, one remark I hear all the time from women seeking an abortion is:" I have NO CHOICE"!
So the term "pro-choice" is an absolute misnomer!

[quote name='Majella' post='1689567' date='Oct 30 2008, 10:46 PM']As a pregnancy-counsellor, one remark I hear all the time from women seeking an abortion is:" I have NO CHOICE"!
So the term "pro-choice" is an absolute misnomer![/quote]

that only makes me want to use the term more when trying to convince pro-choicers of the evil and sadness that is abortion. If we show them that most of these women really have no free choice, then some of them will be more willing to work with us to provide the good choice of life. Abortion is obviously available as a legal option for these women. What's not widely available to these women is the choice to keep their child. We ought to challenge the pro-choice crowd. I am a counselor as well, so I agree with you that many of these women really do have no choice, or at least they feel as though they don't. It's more like hope. They have no hope.

Sad, isn't it!
Ihave found talking to "pro-choicers" that most of them don't even CARE about the women involved. When a woman desides NOT to have an abortion, they are not interested to help her further.
Last week I even got a call from FPPA (equivalent of Planned Parenthood in New Zealand). They had a girl there who was over the legal limit for an abortion and they just wanted to get "rid" of her; they were desperate enough to call a pro-life counselling service!
Last year a pro-choice professor found (to his amazement!) that women who have had abortions,experience major psychological problems. Of course that is nothing new for us, but the FPPA refused to accept his findings and the government won't give any funds for further research. They are blind to the truth!
Let's keep praying and hope Obama doesn't get in!