An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reasons For Veiling

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
this is NOT a debate thread on whether women should veil or not veil. i just simply need those women who veil to state the reasons they give people when they are asked. the answer can be long or short, simple or complex. Thanks and God bless,
Lil Red :D

Deus te Amat

It's a form of humbling myself in front of the Lord.

Also, it can act as a form of "blinders" keeping you totally focused on what is in front of you. If you move your head, the veil slips out of place, so there is less of a temptation to look around and get distracted.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1619116' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:03 AM']It's a form of humbling myself in front of the Lord.

Also, it can act as a form of "blinders" keeping you totally focused on what is in front of you. If you move your head, the veil slips out of place, so there is less of a temptation to look around and get distracted.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i'm trying to flesh out a response to someone else, so bear with me. :))

so using your answer, when should only a girl veil? (i know it's sounds like a silly question, but i promise i'm being serious! :))

puellapaschalis

Really short answer: because I believe that women should cover their heads when in church (I say "to cover one's head" rather than veiling because a headcovering doesn't necessarily have to be a veil).

Less short answer: because St. Paul said so and because women have done so throughout the life of the Church; it shows the dignity of a woman, it directs her beauty towards that beauty's Creator and is a consequence of her unique relationship [i]as a woman[/i] with God.

Non-short answer: Shall we get a cup of tea and have a chat?

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1619124' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:07 AM']Really short answer: because I believe that women should cover their heads when in church (I say "to cover one's head" rather than veiling because a headcovering doesn't necessarily have to be a veil).

Less short answer: because St. Paul said so and because women have done so throughout the life of the Church; it shows the dignity of a woman, it directs her beauty towards that beauty's Creator and is a consequence of her unique relationship [i]as a woman[/i] with God.

Non-short answer: Shall we get a cup of tea and have a chat?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
awesome! :cool: thanks. and that answers my question to Deus.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1619122' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:06 PM']+J.M.J.+
i'm trying to flesh out a response to someone else, so bear with me. :))

so using your answer, when should only a girl veil? (i know it's sounds like a silly question, but i promise i'm being serious! :))[/quote]

A woman should veil any time she is in the presence of the Lord. The women that I know that veil put it on before entering the sanctuary of the church, and leave it on until they leave.

I'm in a transition stage right now, because I want to veil. No one in my Parish does, though, and I'm in a visible location as a music minister, so it would be distracting to the other members. However, a friend of mine is giving me a veil and I will wear it full time once I get to University.

The veil itself is a symbol of Womanhood, and the vocation God has called us to as women. It is a remembrance of Mary's fiat, a sign that we are not worthy of God's favor, yet choose to serve Him anyway, in our humility, in our smallness before Him.

It isn't a degrading action, it doesn't demean women, but rather it exalts them as God's creation.

:)

If a guy happens to find you attractive, it gives him an excuse to chat with you after Mass. "Hey I noticed you're wearing that veil..." :))

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1619126' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:09 PM']+J.M.J.+
awesome! :cool: thanks. and that answers my question to Deus.[/quote]

:(

sorry, I started my reply before seeing either post.

Archaeology cat

Yeah, I usually try to think of an answer in case someone asks me. My answer would just be that I feel it is an act of humility and submission, and that I feel I should cover my head when in the physical Presence of the Lord.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='XIX' post='1619131' date='Aug 6 2008, 07:14 PM']If a guy happens to find you attractive, it gives him an excuse to chat with you after Mass. "Hey I noticed you're wearing that veil..." :))[/quote]

It happened to me once. A complete stranger approached me after Mass and complimented me on covering my head. Apparently this showed that I was a more decent woman than all those Dutch people who walked around parading their genitals. His words, not mine.

He was a creep. He wanted me to run off to Burundi with him.

Sorry, that was :offtopic: Let's not derail Red's request.

Edited by puellapaschalis

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1619130' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:13 AM']A woman should veil any time she is in the presence of the Lord. The women that I know that veil put it on before entering the sanctuary of the church, and leave it on until they leave.

I'm in a transition stage right now, because I want to veil. No one in my Parish does, though, and I'm in a visible location as a music minister, so it would be distracting to the other members. However, a friend of mine is giving me a veil and I will wear it full time once I get to University.

The veil itself is a symbol of Womanhood, and the vocation God has called us to as women. It is a remembrance of Mary's fiat, a sign that we are not worthy of God's favor, yet choose to serve Him anyway, in our humility, in our smallness before Him.

It isn't a degrading action, it doesn't demean women, but rather it exalts them as God's creation.

:)[/quote]
:cool: awesome!!
[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1619132' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:14 AM']:(
sorry, I started my reply before seeing either post.[/quote]
no, i love your reply!! :D
[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1619150' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:23 AM']Yeah, I usually try to think of an answer in case someone asks me. My answer would just be that I feel it is an act of humility and submission, and that I feel I should cover my head when in the physical Presence of the Lord.[/quote]
thanks.

VeniteAdoremus

I do it because the feel of the thing on my head reminds me that I should be praying. With my attention span, that's very useful :)

And also, I don't have to worry about my hair... people tend to stare at me a lot, veil or no veil, so it's a worry less :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1619200' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:01 AM']I do it because the feel of the thing on my head reminds me that I should be praying. With my attention span, that's very useful :)

And also, I don't have to worry about my hair... people tend to stare at me a lot, veil or no veil, so it's a worry less :)[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
do you have red hair? :hehe: (i do)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1619211' date='Aug 6 2008, 08:06 PM']+J.M.J.+
do you have red hair? :hehe: (i do)[/quote]

No, boring dark blonde :) I just stick out because I, er, stick out. People crane their necks to see if I'm standing on the kneeler.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1619221' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:11 AM']No, boring dark blonde :) I just stick out because I, er, stick out. People crane their necks to see if I'm standing on the kneeler.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
aha! ;) gotcha.