An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reasons For Veiling

Lil Red

let_go_let_God

I actually am considering veiling but my fiance thinks its out dated and that it shouldn't be done any more. I should show him this and let him make up his mind.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1625922' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:30 AM']And, how did it go?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i almost didn't do it. :sadder: honestly, i was scared, and nervous, and yes, i shouldn't be concerned what others think of me, but i was. but ultimately, i did it, and felt much better. no comments were made (good or bad), and one of my students was there, and she said she was glad that i did it.

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1625998' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:41 AM']I actually am considering veiling but my fiance thinks its out dated and that it shouldn't be done any more. I should show him this and let him make up his mind.

God bless-
LGLG[/quote]+J.M.J.+
really pray hard about this. i was praying about it for over a year before i finally started. i will pray for you also. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1625998' date='Aug 13 2008, 03:41 PM']I actually am considering veiling but my fiance thinks its out dated and that it shouldn't be done any more. I should show him this and let him make up his mind.

God bless-
LGLG[/quote]
Do you think he would be more open to other forms of head coverings? For example, I use a Pashmina scarf about the colour of my hair, so it doesn't really stand out a lot.

But I second what Red said about praying. I prayed, researched, discussed, etc for quite a while before actually doing it.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1626024' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:29 PM']+J.M.J.+
i almost didn't do it. :sadder: honestly, i was scared, and nervous, and yes, i shouldn't be concerned what others think of me, but i was. but ultimately, i did it, and felt much better. no comments were made (good or bad), and one of my students was there, and she said she was glad that i did it.[/quote]
So glad it went well! :) I know I was really nervous when I started doing it, and thought I was going to get a thousand comments, and probably all negative, but didn't get any. I've only gotten one comment the entire time, and that wasn't about the fact that I was veiling, but more the style of head covering I chose.

I'm sure you are having a wonderful influence on your students, as well. :)

And just for you, a random smiley: :underdog:

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1626034' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:40 AM']Do you think he would be more open to other forms of head coverings? For example, I use a Pashmina scarf about the colour of my hair, so it doesn't really stand out a lot.[/quote]
i agree, i use a scarf, but lol, it's blue, and obviously not the color of my hair. :hehe:

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1626042' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:52 AM']So glad it went well! :) I know I was really nervous when I started doing it, and thought I was going to get a thousand comments, and probably all negative, but didn't get any. I've only gotten one comment the entire time, and that wasn't about the fact that I was veiling, but more the style of head covering I chose.[/quote]yeah, i thought, oh geez i'm gonna have a ton of people just rip me apart, but they didn't.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1626042' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:52 AM']I'm sure you are having a wonderful influence on your students, as well. :)[/quote]i hope so. i've been talking to my students lately about actual 'active' participation at Mass, so i hope to get them thinking.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1626042' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:52 AM']And just for you, a random smiley: :underdog:[/quote]
:grouphug: aww, thanks!! :hippie:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1626024' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:29 PM']+J.M.J.+
i almost didn't do it. :sadder: honestly, i was scared, and nervous, and yes, i shouldn't be concerned what others think of me, but i was. but ultimately, i did it, and felt much better. no comments were made (good or bad), and one of my students was there, and she said she was glad that i did it.[/quote]

You're totally hardcore for having done it while feeling so nervous :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1626051' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:04 AM']You're totally hardcore for having done it while feeling so nervous :)[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
thank you, but it was totally God's grace that did it, not me.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread was a long time ago, but I haven't been to Phatmass in a couple of months I think, and of course I went straight to search for any new veiling conversations :) (btw, Lil Red- hooray! When did you start?)

The answers here are fantastic! I just wanted to add something that I like to start with, when asked (which, to be honest, is quite rare)... I say that in the old testament (Isaiah, can't remember the chapter at the moment, maybe 40?), the angels covered their glory when in the presence of the Lord to give Him all of the glory. And so, as St. Paul says, the glory of woman is her hair (and I can attest to this- people have told me since I was little that my hair is beautiful and they all wanted to dye their hair the color of mine (red/auburn/strawberry-blonde)!)- for this reason we should cover our "glory" when in the presence of the Lord.