An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reasons For Veiling

Lil Red

Guest charlotte

"Veiling to me seems to be a very beautiful thing and I've considered doing so a few times. (In fact, a group of friends and I are considering to all start together.) But actually, one thing that has deterred me, is that I have no idea how I would respond to people asking why I veil... the only thing I can think of is that it's a beautiful outward sign/reminder of humility and obedience to God."

I wanted to reply to these posts. The answers you have all given are so useful and true. I have noticed that more ladies are beginning to wear a veil, and it feels so right to return to this old tradition. I loved your idea about having a group of friends all start together. That way you will encourage eachother and make othwers feel as if they can join without standing out. I am lucky that it is much more common in my church. Maybe we can persuade others to form groups and set a date to start all together. It would be so wonderful to help others to know the feeling of grace and humility which comes from wearing a veil.

God Bless

Charlotte

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1619994' date='Aug 7 2008, 10:58 AM']Or maybe they just figure the crazy American is going to be weird. :lol:[/quote]

I get that here a lot. Only it's British, not American: "O ja, die PP, ze is Brits weet je, ze doet alles een beetje anders" Only then it stumps some a bit when other people - as Dutch as you can get - start doing stuff like that too. Then I become a bad influence ;)

Nah, I exaggerate. Many people here are of an age where they remember the times when every lady covered her head, and many are happy that some are doing it again. After the recent history of the Church here maybe it's reassuring to them to see that not everything was chucked out with the bathwater.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1620010' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:08 PM']I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry about your mantilla! You're too good at hiding the pins :([/quote]

:cool:
It's ok, don't worry. These things happen and I have plenty enough other bits of cloth to fix to my hair :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1620011' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:11 PM']:cool:
It's ok, don't worry. These things happen and I have plenty enough other bits of cloth to fix to my hair :)[/quote]

I like the blue one :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1619865' date='Aug 7 2008, 05:52 AM']Veiling to me seems to be a very beautiful thing and I've considered doing so a few times. (In fact, a group of friends and I are considering to all start together.) But actually, one thing that has deterred me, is that I have no idea how I would respond to people asking why I veil... the only thing I can think of is that it's a beautiful outward sign/reminder of humility and obedience to God.

So, I like reading these answers.[/quote]

This probably differs from lady to lady, but when I began I didn't have much of an idea either. Or rather, I did, but at that point there I was no way I'd have been able to verbalise it. Someone did once ask me at that time why I was covering, and I was stumped and could come up with nothing more than a shrug and "because I think I have to", which in that person's case was anything [i]but[/i] sufficient.

Argh, I babble. My point here is that for me actually doing it increased my understanding of what I was doing. It's a non-vicious circle that continuously feeds itself.

[quote name='mortify' post='1619875' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:01 AM']Great answer[/quote]

Thank you :)

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1619124' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:07 AM']because St. Paul said so and because women have done so throughout the life of the Church[/quote]

That's usually what i start with.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1619130' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:13 AM']The veil itself is a symbol of Womanhood, and the vocation God has called us to as women. It is a remembrance of Mary's fiat, a sign that we are not worthy of God's favor, yet choose to serve Him anyway, in our humility, in our smallness before Him.

It isn't a degrading action, it doesn't demean women, but rather it exalts them as God's creation.[/quote]

That's why i also wear long skirts in the presence of the Eucharist.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1619150' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:23 AM']My answer would just be that I feel it is an act of humility and submission, and that I feel I should cover my head when in the physical Presence of the Lord.[/quote]

That's usually my second answer.

[quote name='charlotte' post='1620003' date='Aug 7 2008, 03:40 AM']I wanted to reply to these posts. The answers you have all given are so useful and true. I have noticed that more ladies are beginning to wear a veil, and it feels so right to return to this old tradition. I loved your idea about having a group of friends all start together. That way you will encourage eachother and make othwers feel as if they can join without standing out. I am lucky that it is much more common in my church. Maybe we can persuade others to form groups and set a date to start all together. It would be so wonderful to help others to know the feeling of grace and humility which comes from wearing a veil.

God Bless

Charlotte[/quote]

Hi! Your first post! :bye:

melporcristo

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1619992' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:24 AM']Another lady has an enormous piece of fabric she covers her whole head, neck and shoulders with. I generally have a piece of fabric wrapped around my head and tied at the back. Occasionally a mantilla.[/quote]

That would be my grandma and all the other older women in Mexico!! I loooove it. Its so beautiful seeing their act of humility.

I used to wear a scarf when I didn't want to be distracting in the Mass but then stopped. I need som encouragement to do it again I guess ...

+J.M.J.+
please pray for me this weekend. :sign: i have a feeling that i will be facing *ahem* slight contempt.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='melporcristo' post='1621108' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:21 AM']That would be my grandma and all the other older women in Mexico!! I loooove it. Its so beautiful seeing their act of humility.

I used to wear a scarf when I didn't want to be distracting in the Mass but then stopped. I need som encouragement to do it again I guess ...[/quote]

If you feel pulled to do it, despite the distractions, then take courage and ask Our Lady for help. Be gentle with yourself, though. In my experience at least this is a really delicate personal matter and there's a fine line between stepping out bravely and pushing yourself :)

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1621117' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:31 AM']+J.M.J.+
please pray for me this weekend. :sign: i have a feeling that i will be facing *ahem* slight contempt.[/quote]

Will do.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1621117' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:31 AM']+J.M.J.+
please pray for me this weekend. :sign: i have a feeling that i will be facing *ahem* slight contempt.[/quote]

Yes, will do, of course!

If you want to start "light", you can wear a scarf that matches your clothes - pull it over your hair when you enter the church and wear it around your neck before and after. That way, it'll almost look unintentional. (Which is a good thing, because we're veiling for ourselves more than for the outside world, aren't we? :) )

+J.M.J.+
I actually do wear my scarf similar to Mary in my avatar. :) but i'm really nervous about tomorrow, especially since i work for the church. so thank you for the prayers. i think i'll need them.

btw, my students saw me at daily Mass with it on, and it opened up a conversation, and they were really supportive. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1622250' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:27 AM']+J.M.J.+
I actually do wear my scarf similar to Mary in my avatar. :) but i'm really nervous about tomorrow, especially since i work for the church. so thank you for the prayers. i think i'll need them.

btw, my students saw me at daily Mass with it on, and it opened up a conversation, and they were really supportive. :)[/quote]
That's great that your students seemed open and supportive. :) I imagine it would be more difficult with you working for the parish and everything, and I'll definitely say a prayer. :)

Mary-Kathryn

A priest reassured me when he said "You do it for God and not other people." And that's the truth. I veil simply because *I believe* that Christ is present in The Blessed Sacrament and it is my way of acknowledging who I am there for, why I exist, and the ultimate meaning of Mass.

I do it because I love and adore Him. :D

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1622380' date='Aug 9 2008, 03:58 AM']That's great that your students seemed open and supportive. :) I imagine it would be more difficult with you working for the parish and everything, and I'll definitely say a prayer. :)[/quote]
thank you so much. :)

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1622500' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:45 AM']A priest reassured me when he said "You do it for God and not other people." And that's the truth. I veil simply because *I believe* that Christ is present in The Blessed Sacrament and it is my way of acknowledging who I am there for, why I exist, and the ultimate meaning of Mass.

I do it because I love and adore Him. :D[/quote]
:D