An Old School Catholic Message Board

Execution Of Heretics

Resurrexi

In the past it seems that ecclesiastical authorities approved of the execution of heretics by the State. Indeed the proposition "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit." was condemned by Pope Leo X ([i]Exsurge Domine[/i], 33). I've read Jimmy Akin's [url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0109bt.asp"]article[/url] on the topic, which I think is pretty good (compared to his article on Friday abstinence). How, though, can that be reconciled with the teaching of the Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican: "This Vatican Council declares that the human person has a right to religious freedom. This freedom means that all men are to be immune from coercion on the part of individuals or of social groups and of any human power, in such wise that no one is to be forced to act in a manner contrary to his own beliefs, whether privately or publicly, whether alone or in association with others, within due limits." ([i]Dignitatis Humanae[/i], 2).

Perhaps it makes a difference for instance if you say you believe in something heretical, and also say you are a Protestant, than if you say you are a Catholic. It's kind of like what I told someone the other day that they are certainly allowed to say that they believe in gay marriage, they just can't claim to be Catholic in the same breath.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1622765' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:12 PM']Or maybe there was an issue of heretics trying to convert orthodox believers?[/quote]

Would you say, then, that that would fall "within due limits"?

thessalonian

First of all I think we have to put statements in historical context. At the time of Leo X first of all most of Europe was Catholic. Also the majority of the people could not read or write. Therefore those who could read or write had a great advantage in influencing the minds of the ignorant. The ignorant could not read official Church sources that would correct such errors. So those within the Church who were heretics could exert a high level of influence on those who were ignorant. Heresy was considered akin to murder and one who was spreading heresy. The problem was not less their religous freedom and more their dragging of other souls in to hell with them.

Now the executions were done by governments primarily. This is in line with what Romans 13 says, that the government can use the sword to keep order. Many times the heretics caused disorder in societies as well.

We should also note that crimes were much more severely punished then as well. There weren't nearly as many jails as their is today and even crimes of theft and abduction received capital punishment. We have to be careful in judging all of this because the times were far different than today where everyone is literate and there are prisons available, etc. etc.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1624924' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:10 PM']Would you say, then, that that would fall "within due limits"?[/quote]
Don't put words in my mouth.

thessalonian

It should also be noted that heresy was illegal in both protestant and Catholic countries. A book with a good perspective on this, written by a protestant is "salvation at stake". Can't recall the author.