An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nab

Resurrexi

Why is it that the NAB (with its footnotes that often tend to be contrary to the teachings of the Church) is the Bible that seems to be the one that is the official standard used in the dioceses of America? Why is the RSV-2CE, which is a much better translation (and does not have doctrinally errant footnotes) and is now popular amongst more educated Catholics who desire an modern English translation never used by official diocesan programs? Seriously...

They use the rsv in Canada. It takes some getting used to since I'm used to hearing phrases the other way. We use the rsv in class. I still find myself using my dogeared nab to find something quickly.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1636057' date='Aug 23 2008, 10:44 PM']Why is it that the NAB (with its footnotes that often tend to be contrary to the teachings of the Church) is the Bible that seems to be the one that is the official standard used in the dioceses of America? Why is the RSV-2CE, which is a much better translation (and does not have doctrinally errant footnotes) and is now popular amongst more educated Catholics who desire an modern English translation never used by official diocesan programs? Seriously...[/quote]

Not sure which version, but I do know that the RSV is used for the lectionary.

Still, the "Not A Bible" is prolific (though, I own one out of habit ... I'm kinda attached, the same way I am to the Cardinals ... I could never be a Cubs fan.) And I digress ...

My ONE request out of a bible, though, is that they get "kecharitomene" translated right as "Full of Grace" in Luke. I can't even find Catholic bibles that get it right ... Le sigh.

+J.M.J.+
i think it depends on which diocese you are in. or parish. i know some parishes/dioceses that do use the rsv-ce (which is awesome, imho). sadly, i wish it were the norm

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1636057' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:44 PM']Why is it that the NAB (with its footnotes that often tend to be contrary to the teachings of the Church) is the Bible that seems to be the one that is the official standard used in the dioceses of America? Why is the RSV-2CE, which is a much better translation (and does not have doctrinally errant footnotes) and is now popular amongst more educated Catholics who desire an modern English translation never used by official diocesan programs? Seriously...[/quote]

Grrr, I hear you. And my theology classes like to use those footnotes as though they are doctrinally correct.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1636298' date='Aug 23 2008, 10:43 PM']Grrr, I hear you. And my theology classes like to use those footnotes as though they are doctrinally correct.[/quote]

Yeah, the NAB is the textbook of my religion class this semester. I'm just hoping that the footnotes will be ignored!

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1636057' date='Aug 23 2008, 08:44 PM']Why is it that the NAB (with its footnotes that often tend to be contrary to the teachings of the Church) is the Bible that seems to be the one that is the official standard used in the dioceses of America?[/quote]
Quite simply it is because the USCCB owns the copyright to that translation.

KnightofChrist

The USCCB seems to be at times, well... liberal and anti-traditional... I just do not understand it, it saddens me...

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636359' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:36 PM']Doesn't even www.vatican.va use NAB for their online English Bible?[/quote]
Yes, it does. Of course it uses that translation because it is the one that is officially approved by the USCCB.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636359' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:36 PM']Doesn't even www.vatican.va use NAB for their online English Bible?[/quote]

Yes. But that may be because it's the only online Catholic translation (at least that I know of). I'm guessing that the Vatican website probably took it from the USCCB's.