An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nab

Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1636360' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:38 AM']Yes, it does. Of course it uses that translation because it is the one that is officially approved by the USCCB.[/quote]
So do they... not use that commentary that's supposedly wrong?
I say supposedly because I don't think I've actually read it, so I can't say.

It contains the footnotes, but those would probably be required based upon information provided by the translators. As far as the "commentary" is concerned, I doubt that the Vatican site includes a biblical commentary.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1636370' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:44 AM']It contains the footnotes, but those would probably be required based upon information provided by the translators. As far as the "commentary" is concerned, I doubt that the Vatican site includes a biblical commentary.[/quote]
Probably not...
So are the footnotes of the NAB also in error in some instances?
I have a Good News Bible. Is that one any good?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636362' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:40 PM']So do they... not use that commentary that's supposedly wrong?
I say supposedly because I don't think I've actually read it, so I can't say.[/quote]

No, they use it. It's exactly the same as on usccb.org.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636374' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:46 PM']Probably not...
So are the footnotes of the NAB also in error in some instances?
I have a Good News Bible. Is that one any good?[/quote]

Dunno. Does it have an imprimatur?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1636380' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:48 AM']Dunno. Does it have an imprimatur?[/quote]
It does. Funny I wouldn't think of that, given my name!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1636384' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:53 AM']The Good News Bible is a paraphrase, not a translation properly socalled.[/quote]
Darn!
What's the very best English translation to get then?

Although it has problems of its own, I prefer the Revised Standard Version (Catholic Edition) of the Bible.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1636397' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:02 AM']Although it has problems of its own, I prefer the Revised Standard Version (Catholic Edition) of the Bible.[/quote]
Are there any that are perfect? :D

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636407' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:07 AM']Are there any that are perfect? :D[/quote]
God alone is perfect.

:rolleyes:

Vincent Vega

I want a Douay-Rheims soooo badly! I just wish there were ones that weren't so danged expensive.
I need to find me a RSV-CE, too. I have an NAB, and a GNV.
Do I have to bury it to rid of, since it's the Word of the Lord? I wouldn't feel right throwing it in the trash, even if it is a horrible translation/paraphrase.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1636410' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:09 AM']God alone is perfect.

:rolleyes:[/quote]
Now if I could just get a printed version...
"What do you think, big guy? No. All right, I'll settle for the Bible then."

I would never settle for the Bible, because in addition to it I want the liturgy, the Church, tradition, etc.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1636418' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:15 AM']I would never settle for the Bible, because in addition to it I want the liturgy, the Church, tradition, etc.[/quote]
I thought we were talking about just Bibles here? :P
Argh, now you're all analytical.
Fine, I'll settle for the Bible, the liturgy, the Church, Tradition, the CCC, the papacy, and all those neat little symbols we have.
And everything else I probably forgot. ;)

See why we don't have to be analytical all the time? :D:D:D