An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charity

Balthazor

Ok this is a directive. :mellow:

I think that perhaps the biggest problem I have been having lately is that I am consistently sinning against charity.

I look back on some of the threads where in a debate or an arguement I said something nasty, personal or petty and I am disgusted with myself. Did those words really come out of my brain and were typed with my hand?

For example I can sight numerous instances where I would become frustrated with one of my brothers or sisters in Christ and then revert to typing something petty... like correcting a spelling or gramatical mistake that was obviously just from the other person typing too fast... not because I care about grammar or spelling but because I wanted to make the other person look silly.

Man I need some work.... I do not want to be this person, who can not have the patience or the love to reply with a chariatble, grace filled repsonse.

So, Guys I need your help on this one, if I start slipping here on being charitable could someone please just gently remind me "charity please?" so that I can break this habit?

Thank you.
Balty

HisChildForever

I'm the same way. It's easy to let our frustrations get the best of us. It helps to remember that there's a person on the other side of the screen, and that we're responding to more than words typed on a forum.

edit: grammar.

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1643261' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:44 AM']I'm the same way. It's easy to let our frustrations get the best of us. It helps to remember that there's a person on the other side of the screen, and that we're responding to more than words typed on a forum.

edit: grammar.[/quote]

Exactly, but really there is no excuse for pettiness : it takes up space and instigates people and really I have to remember that it has not place in this forum or at the debate table, much less in real life.

I am really trying to break the habit, it is so tempting to just snap back at someone who says something that I do not agree with. I am filled with sarcastic and quite frankly mean come-backs and I need to really stop and think bebfore I type.

[quote name='apparently' post='1643256' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:30 AM']Truism
1) If you can’t say something nice, don’t say (anything) it.[/quote]

Edited by apparently

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1643269' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:08 AM']I think it's like road rage...

....except it's on a forum![/quote]

True! :P
Maybe I will need dUSt mandated counseling. :)

HisChildForever

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1643266' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:05 AM']I am really trying to break the habit, it is so tempting to just snap back at someone who says something that I do not agree with. I am filled with sarcastic and quite frankly mean come-backs and I need to really stop and think bebfore I type.[/quote]

It's funny, because I can be super sarcastic here (and mean lol) and yet in person I'm not like that at all. I suppose, when it comes to forums, you can think over what you're going to say and take the time to phrase it the way you want to. When you really focus on what someone said to you, especially if you disagree, well you think more about it and then you explode. We all know how easier it can be to communicate online and over the phone than in person. It's the same concept. In person, we can be shy and hesitant, but online it's different.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1643269' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:08 AM']I think it's like road rage...

....except it's on a forum![/quote]

That explains it. I have the worst road rage ever. Though I've been doing good lately.

What I have learned early on is to be careful what you write down, it has legs and can walk far. Things you write have a horrible way of finding their way to places you dont even know about. Young people today are so used to just saying whatever, be it on their blogs on on phorums like this. They list things like addresses, and much too much personal info. I know that is not what you are talking about, but it is a real danger.
About charity, sadly I share that fault, as does many others! We want to get our point across without regard to the other persons feelings.
Thanks for the reminder and let's all, especially on this phorum, learn to respect each others opinions, and think before we write!

I was given a tip from my supervisor at work regarding emails: leave the email aside for a few minutes, then reread it before sending it.

ditto what norsman said.

Leave it alone and come back later.

Pray before sending it out. Let someone read it to check your charity if needed.

I think we all struggle with charity. Especially with family. (!!!!!!)

does it count as road rage if you only secretly hope that the guy tailgating you tire's magically deflate? Not to hurt him...just to get him off your tail.

..............i wish that alot.

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1643223' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:25 AM']Ok this is a directive. :mellow:

I think that perhaps the biggest problem I have been having lately is that I am consistently sinning against charity.

I look back on some of the threads where in a debate or an arguement I said something nasty, personal or petty and I am disgusted with myself. Did those words really come out of my brain and were typed with my hand?

For example I can sight numerous instances where I would become frustrated with one of my brothers or sisters in Christ and then revert to typing something petty... like correcting a spelling or gramatical mistake that was obviously just from the other person typing too fast... not because I care about grammar or spelling but because I wanted to make the other person look silly.

Man I need some work.... I do not want to be this person, who can not have the patience or the love to reply with a chariatble, grace filled repsonse.

So, Guys I need your help on this one, if I start slipping here on being charitable could someone please just gently remind me "charity please?" so that I can break this habit?

Thank you.
Balty[/quote]

You? Uncharitable? Hmmm.... don't recall anything like that!

Thanks for your generocity atheling but lets be honest.

There are definatley more sins against charity than there are against Chastity,and for many reasons the sins against chastity are ranked as more grave. Understandably so.

However, I often overlook the small cruelties in my life that pock my soul and I want to try and correct this. Phatmass is a good place to do it, I have the help of an entire community, and in return you get to practice gentle, fraternal/sesternal correction that is so needed in bringing sinners, like myself, into the fold.

Look at this as not only helping me to grow and correct my fault, but also helping yourself. Because often it is hard to deal with someone who makes us angry or upset. In me you have a repeat sinner that is asking for correction, and I can truly be a challenge. But I am also asking you to be gentle and practice charity in your correction of sin. Perhaps if we can learn more charity to each other then we can help bring more souls to the fullness of the faith, and each other closer to true holiness.

I know that coming from me this sounds corny, but genuinely beleive that charity is one of the true gifts that we have to offer our brothers and sisters in our faith and in other faiths. Its importance can not be overstressed. Charity wins not only souls, but the hearts and minds that are attatched to those souls.This does not mean ignoring faults, or sweeping aside sin, but rather practicing compassion and understanding for our fellow man.

Edited by Balthazor

especially in forums and e-mail; norseman's advice is excellent . . . unlike "in person" dialogue, no one (including you) is squirming in the discomfort silence brings while you formulate your response

. . . these three: but the greatest of these is charity.

1 Cor 13:13

ps . . . this is not a general permission for you to let your spelling and grammar skills lapse

Edited by journeyman