An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rome Makes A Statement On A Medjugorje Priest

Guest KevinSymonds

Guest KevinSymonds

The priest in question, Fr. Tomislav Vlasic, is a very controversial figure and very intimately connected with Medjugorje. This is BIG news, folks!

[url="http://www.cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=228"]http://www.cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=228[/url]

[url="http://www.cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=227"]http://www.cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=227[/url]

The Canonical status of Rev. Father Tomislav Vlašić, OFM
The Bishop, 2008-08-31
The CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH with its letter prot. 144/1985-27164 of 30 May 2008, has authorized me as the local Bishop of the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno to inform the diocesan community of the canonical status of Fr. Tomislav Vlašić, the founder of the association “Kraljice mira potpuno Tvoji – po Mariji k Isusu” – (Queen of Peace, totally Yours – Through Mary to Jesus).
The letter signed by the Secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Archbishop Angelo Amato, states the following:
“Within the context of the phenomenon Medjugorje, this Dicastery is studying the case of Father Tomislav VLASIC OFM, originally from that region and the founder of the association ‘Kraljice mira potpuno Tvoji – po Mariji k Isusu’.
On 25 January 2008, through a properly issued Decree, this Dicastery imposed severe cautionary and disciplinary measures on Fr. Vlasic.
The non-groundless news that reached this Congregation reveals that the religious priest in question did not respond, even partially, to the demands of ecclesiastical obedience required by the very delicate situation he finds himself in, justifying himself by citing his zealous activity in the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno and surrounding territories, in initiating religious activities, buildings, etc.
Since Fr. Vlasic has fallen into a censure of interdict latae sententiae reserved to this Dicastery, I kindly ask Your Excellency, for the good of the faithful, to inform the community of the canonical status of Fr. Vlasic and at the same time to report on the situation in question…”.
This regards the fact that the same Congregation of the Holy See applied ecclesiastical sanctions against Rev. Father Tomislav Vlašić, through a Decree of the Congregation (prot. 144/1985) of 25 January 2008, signed by Cardinal William Levada, Prefect, and by Archbishop Angelo Amato, Secretary of the Congregation along with the “Concordat cum originali” of 30 January 2008, verified by Msgr. John Kennedy, Official of the Congregation.
The Decree was handed over to Rev. Fr. Tomislav Vlašić in the General Curia of the OFM in Rome on 16 February 2008 and the notification was co-signed by the Minister General of the Franciscan Minor Order, Father José R. Carballo, the Ordinary of Fr. Vlašić.

The Decree of the Congregation mentions that Rev. Fr. Tomislav Vlašić, a cleric of the Franciscan Minor Order – the founder of the association ‘Kraljice mira potpuno Tvoji – po Mariji k Isusu’ and who is involved in the “phenomenon Medjugorje” – has been reported to the Congregation “for the diffusion of dubious doctrine, manipulation of consciences, suspected mysticism, disobedience towards legitimately issued orders and charges contra sextum.”
Having studied the case, the Congregation during its special Congress decreed the following sanctions against Rev. Fr. Tomislav Vlasic:
“1. Mandatory residence in one of the houses of the Order in the region of Lombardy (Italy) to be determined by the Minister General of the Order and to be realized within thirty days from the time of the legitimate notification of this decree;
2. All contacts with the “Kraljice Mira…” community and with its members are prohibited;
3. Any actions involving juridical contracts and administrative organizations, whether canonical or civil, effected without the written permission ad actum of the Minister General of the Order and under his responsibility are prohibited;
4. A mandatory course of theological-spiritual formation, with a final evaluation along with a prior recognitio of this Congregation, and a solemn professio fidei;
5. The following are also prohibited: activities involving the ‘care of souls’, preaching, public appearances, while the faculty to hear confessions is also revoked up until the conclusion of the terms described in the previous number, barring an evaluation of the case.

An additional sanction of a latae sententiae interdict (can. 1332) reserved to the Apostolic See is adjoined in the case of the violation of the mandatory residence (n. 1) and the other prohibited acts mentioned in n. 3 and n. 5.
Fr. Vlasic is forewarned that in the case of stubbornness a juridical penal process will begin with the aim of still harsher sanctions, not excluding dismissal, having in mind the suspicion of heresy and schism, as well as scandalous acts contra sextum, aggravated by mystical motivations.
Fr. Vlasic remains under the direct jurisdiction of the Minister General of the Order of Minor Franciscans, who shall see to his vigilance through the local Superior or another Delegate”.

All the priests, religious and faithful in the Dioceses of Mostar-Duvno and Trebnje-Mrkan, as well as all those concerned “in the pertinent territories”, are hereby informed on the current canonical status of Rev. Father Tomislav Vlašić.
With the sentiments of my highest consideration,

+ Ratko Perić, Bishop
Fr. Ante Luburić, Chancellor

Domine ut Videam

Can someone break this down for me? I get that he is in trouble, but not really what it was that he did in particular. Oh and what does this mean for Medjugorie? Thanks!

Basically, they are removing him from public ministry generally, and Medjugorie specifically. He's being assigned back to his Order's main house for re-education/penance, however you want to look at it. If he disobeys, they will basically remove him from the order and priesthood.

While it doesn't speak specifically to Medjugorie, it does imply that his actions in regard to Medjugorie have put him in opposition to church teachings/obedience to his order. If he disobeys, and has his faculties removed, then he won't be able to use his position in the church to lead the faithful in inappropriate directions.

[quote name='Selah' post='1644674' date='Sep 2 2008, 05:49 AM']May I ask a question?[[/quote]
No. Questions get you banned by the mods after two warnings (they're very gracious).

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1644669' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:48 PM']Basically, they are removing him from public ministry generally, and Medjugorie specifically. He's being assigned back to his Order's main house for re-education/penance, however you want to look at it. If he disobeys, they will basically remove him from the order and priesthood.

While it doesn't speak specifically to Medjugorie, it does imply that his actions in regard to Medjugorie have put him in opposition to church teachings/obedience to his order. If he disobeys, and has his faculties removed, then he won't be able to use his position in the church to lead the faithful in inappropriate directions.[/quote]

but what has he done, speciffically, to or for the medjugorie message that makes this such a big deal?

Fr. Vlasic was appointed to serve in Medjugorje in the early days after Fr. Jozo was put in prison but, he hasn't been around there for a long time. I will email a friend who lives in Medjugorje and ask him about Fr. Vlasic.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1644689' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:57 PM']but what has he done, speciffically, to or for the medjugorie message that makes this such a big deal?[/quote]

Have no idea, I was just answering from a Canon Law perspective. I've never actually heard of the man. I'm not up on Medjugorie at all. I tend to be very cautious about such things until the Vatican has officially recognized them.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1644782' date='Sep 1 2008, 07:43 PM']Have no idea, I was just answering from a Canon Law perspective. I've never actually heard of the man. I'm not up on Medjugorie at all. I tend to be very cautious about such things until the Vatican has officially recognized them.[/quote]

I am VERY cautious and suspicious of Med. I believe that something wonderful and blessed happened there at one point but I don't know to believe that its still happening (as in miracles, not conversions) and isn't a tourist trap and living off hype. It seems to me that something which has lasted so long would contain a good deal of corruption due to human nature. Even Jesus' earthly ministry was only 3 years long.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1644788' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:53 PM']I am VERY cautious and suspicious of Med. I believe that something wonderful and blessed happened there at one point but I don't know to believe that its still happening (as in miracles, not conversions) and isn't a tourist trap and living off hype. It seems to me that something which has lasted so long would contain a good deal of corruption due to human nature. Even Jesus' earthly ministry was only 3 years long.[/quote]

One of Mary's goals is to bring as many souls to conversion as possible and as soon as possible. I wouldn't reference it in terms of Jesus's earthly ministry, but more in preparation for his return. I don't hear about too many miracles occuring there besides the miracle of the sun and statues that change and visions.
I have been there twice and it definitely isn't someplace you would go on vacation and not a tourist trap. It is in a valley and there is nothing there. Maybe a lot of religious shops but, few restaurants, no theaters, no internet cafes, nothing that anyone else would consider a place to go unless they planned on it being a religious experience or they love crowds, kneeling on cement floors or viewing sheep. Getting there is a horror unto itself, which is why it is considered a pilgrimage.
I witnessed a conversion with one person in my group this March and a complete renewal and redidication of faith in several others.
I do consider my conversion there truly a miracle. I also consider the fact that I still see the miracle of the sun each and every time I look at the sun. Sometimes it is so glorious that I have to pull off the road wherever I am and just sit there and look at it for a half hour. The Blessed Mother is still there. I hold that as firmly in my heart as I do Jesus being the only son of the Father.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Selah' post='1644674' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:49 PM']Why is he controversial?[/quote]

Generally, knocking up a nun DOES tend to create some kind of disturbance in Catholic circles.