An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sex And Sin Question, Help Is Needed Please

havok579257

Yes, of course its possible.
But both spouses should learn to be sensitive to each other to the degree that it doesn't happen.
If they don't learn to do this then there might culpability.

[quote name='Ziggamafu' post='1645853' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:07 PM']You cannot sin mortally by accident or by impairment. Mortal sin is deliberate rebellion, which amounts to a choice for Hell. Venial sin is an offense against God that hurts you and quite probably others. Venial sin should be struggled against and overcome. But it should not cause fear of Hell.[/quote]

Im sorta confused by this. If someone knows masturbation is a mortal sin yet they masturbate they commit a mortal sin correct ? Even if they had been to confession for it last week and intened when they woke up that day not to commit the act?

I know this doesnt coexist with the original act by the original poster. But what im confused about is what is consdidered weakness ? Because If I wake up and say im not going to commit fornication in the form of masturbation then end up being tempted later by satan and commit it, I knew when I was doing it that it was a mortal sin so its a mortal sin ?

Or
Is it just a venial sin that I need to confess at mass but dont need to go to confession because it was a moment of weakness that I gave into my flesh ?

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1657548' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:23 PM']Im sorta confused by this. If someone knows masturbation is a mortal sin yet they masturbate they commit a mortal sin correct ?[/quote]

Masturbation committed in full knowledge and with free choice in the matter is indeed mortal sin. However, as is the case with most sexual sins, the psychological/pathological nature of addiction can play a part to mitigate the culpability of the sinner, but not remove it entirely. I would suggest in this case that the sinner, if suspicious that they are addicted, continue to treat the sin as though it is completely mortal, and to fly to confession at the earliest available time. The sinner should also refrain from receiving communion until after confessing.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1657548' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:23 PM']Even if they had been to confession for it last week and intened when they woke up that day not to commit the act?[/quote]

Mortal sins must be confessed each time they are committed, unlike a venial sin which need not be confessed at all (but still should be). Whether or not a person intended to commit sin when they woke up is irrelevant; they still made that decision at the time.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1657548' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:23 PM']I know this doesnt coexist with the original act by the original poster. But what im confused about is what is consdidered weakness ? Because If I wake up and say im not going to commit fornication in the form of masturbation then end up being tempted later by satan and commit it, I knew when I was doing it that it was a mortal sin so its a mortal sin ?[/quote]

This is correct, as I noted above.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1657548' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:23 PM']Or
Is it just a venial sin that I need to confess at mass but dont need to go to confession because it was a moment of weakness that I gave into my flesh ?[/quote]

It is grave sin, objectively. Whether or not it is mortal depends on the extent of one's knowledge (yours is complete, in this case), as well as one's ability to freely and willing choose to commit it. Addiction can play a part to decrease that culpability (guilt), but can't remove it entirely. The best advice that I can give is to treat an addiction-driven incidence of masturbation as though it [b]were[/b] mortal sin and to fly to confession, as well as to avoid communion before confessing it.

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1657559' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:53 PM']Mortal sins must be confessed each time they are committed, unlike a venial sin which need not be confessed at all (but still should be). Whether or not a person intended to commit sin when they woke up is irrelevant; they still made that decision at the time.[/quote]

what if someone puts them into a group when they confess them ? say they got drunk 3 times and they confess "getting druink" to the priest. are they confessing wrong ? should they say they got drunk three different times ? thanks for your help.

old schooll examinations of conscience did make clear that you are to confess in number and kind so yes, whenever possible you should be able to spell out to the priest how many times you did a specific mortal sin. so long as you go in and confess without any intention of holding anything back, then you're fine, just try to be as honest and forthright as possible about what you have done and how many times you have done it since your last confession to the best of your knowledge.

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1657791' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:43 PM']And it's okay if you can't remember. There have been times I've confessed this way: "I did x a lot."[/quote]

ya, thats where i seem to find myself at....

Someone please correct me if this is wrong:

With regards to Havok's original question, I believe it is possible for a person to commit venial sin while not suffering culpability. Such would be the case in which a man was sleeping in his bed and someone quietly broke into his house, tied him up, drugged him, pulled him outside, and put a loaded gun into his hands. He uncontrollably started firing and killed three people. Technically, this would be considered sinful since the killing of an innocent person is not in accord with how God intended us to behave towards our neighbor. However, the sin holds zero culpability on account of the man since he had absolutely no control of intellect or will, nor could he have reasonably presumed or prevented such a situation.

The situation seems a bit absurd, however I think it holds some principles as to how we may look at sin. As far as our final judgement and maintaining a state of grace are concerned, culpability is the important factor. Of course, out of having a complete love for God, for the sake that He is good, we should do absolutely everything in our power to avoid and prevent occasions in which we would act outside of God's intention; whether or not consciously.

Regardless, it never hurts to go to Confession if we are unsure of the sinfulness of the situation. The important thing is to give our absolute best effort to avoid sin at all times.