An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Thank A Priest?

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

Generally I've noticed that priests live very simple lives without possessions for a reason, but is there a nice way to thank a priest and give them a simple gift? I would like to give the priest that's marrying us a small gift or something just to show appreciation, but what do you give a priest? Do you have a mass said for them? I was thinking of giving him a piece of my own artwork.

Thoughts? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Winchester' post='1647938' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:05 AM'][img]http://www.gulker.com/blog/wp-content/2007/11/pope_inno_300.jpg[/img][/quote]

[img]http://images.asos.com/inv/B/20/126/49646/Clear/image1xl.jpg[/img]

It was either that or the pope soap on a rope, but the poor man probably already thinks I'm a complete flake so I reckon I should try something else.

princessgianna

a gift card to a Catholic Book Store

you could offer up a Rosary for his special wants or needs.

EDIT: a piece of your artwork(as you suggest) would be really cool too.

Edited by princessgianna

icelandic_iceskater

I think a piece of your artwork would be cool! It's original and personal.

And as if the action figure and flake pope don't work out-
[img]http://bp2.blogger.com/_r9lhQTeVJv4/SAaGxhg8ayI/AAAAAAAADkc/3QWXLZa8sFU/s400/pope_bobble_head.jpg[/img]

I made the priest who married us a stole. I'm making a reconciliation stole this week for a new priest who was just ordained who used to be from our parish. They get lots of vestments as presents when they are first ordained, but no one thinks about reconciliation stoles. They almost wear them more than the other, and they are usually this little cheap piece of purple nylon. I like making nice silk ones with a Christian symbol on it that really means something to them. For example, Irish priests always want a Celtic cross, or the Trinity Celtic knot.

I like the idea of a gift card to the Catholic book store, or even a big book store that they can get some decent titles at. They also always need black socks.

This might seem insincere or general but I give money or certificates to places to eat.

It bothers me though because I really like to get unique gifts that I know the person will use.

A dog. A LARGE dog. I mean, who doesn't love dogs? Jesus loved dogs. I'm sure I read that somewhere. It's god spelled backward. PERFECT gift.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='1648707' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:56 PM']A dog. A LARGE dog. I mean, who doesn't love dogs? Jesus loved dogs. I'm sure I read that somewhere. It's god spelled backward. PERFECT gift.[/quote]

My uncle got a dog as a gift (he's a priest)...he asked me if I want her. :lol:

My sister has given priests paintings she has done. I have given gift cards to a Catholic book store, a flock of chicks, enrollment for prayer and for two priests, I ordered special rosaries to be made for them by Carmelite nuns. They really liked them. They are so beautiful.
In these days, a gas card would probably be a good idea. :lol_roll: