An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fasting

jckinsman

We are told that fasting and prayer are very powerful. I am horrible at it. The longest I've done it was through the lenten season. Ever since then I have had a hard time with it and that was two years ago. How often should we be doing it? Do you follow the "bread and water" fast or the "1 plus 2 smaller" fast? Should we be doing it every Wednesday and Friday? JC

During lent last year I fasted for the entire 40 days. I only ate 1 small meal each day. It was hard and I lost a lot of weight (35 lbs). I used the fast to show myself that if I could deny myself something that I truly needed then it should be easy or me to cut out all the stuff that I didnt need.

[quote name='knightec' post='1649414' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:05 PM']During lent last year I fasted for the entire 40 days. I only ate 1 small meal each day. It was hard and I lost a lot of weight (35 lbs). I used the fast to show myself that if I could deny myself something that I truly needed then it should be easy or me to cut out all the stuff that I didnt need.[/quote]
If I lost 35 lbs, I think I'd be clinically emaciated! :wacko:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1649443' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:54 PM']If I lost 35 lbs, I think I'd be clinically emaciated! :wacko:[/quote]
Hear, hear!

Galloglasses' Alt

I'm addicted to coca cola, and I actually managed to fast for the fourty days by denying myself it. Needless to say, I am terrible at fasting. (Granted, I was having an especially difficult time last Lent), but even times when I decide to fast something for a week, I tend to be very bad at it.

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1649451' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:03 PM']I'm addicted to coca cola, and I actually managed to fast for the fourty days by denying myself it. Needless to say, I am terrible at fasting. (Granted, I was having an especially difficult time last Lent), but even times when I decide to fast something for a week, I tend to be very bad at it.[/quote]
I was already worrying yesterday about what I can give up for Lent. :P :)
Last year I didn't bring my MP3 player to school. Sounds easy, but not at my school. I wanted to kill music for existing without me.
Now I have to top that. :))

The fasting described above (one meal a day for longer than a week's time) should ONLY be done with doctor's concent. You never know if you are harboring a heart condition or various other problems. Also be fully aware of psycological problems in your family that could be triggered by fasting.
Young women shouldn't fast competely because they need to renew alot of nutriants that are lost monthly.
Young men under 25 still need to feed their brains...as their brains are still developing.

Perspective is important. Fasting would be cool, but if I lost 35 lbs I'd probably be very emanciated or near death...I'm 5'5" and currently 115lbs ...and I often have a hard time managing that weight (I have ADD/ADHD so I'm always moving and I'm not particularly akin to eating).

Fasting...removing sweets or other treats from your diet (so long as it remains balanced) can be rewarding.

I would definitely not recommend my fast. I wont even do it again. It took too much of a toll on my body. In the end it was worth it because it taught me a lot about myself.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1649478' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:25 PM']Young men under 25 still need to feed their brains...as their brains are still developing.[/quote]
We need all the development we can get. :)

Lenten fasting is especially hard for me because I hate fish (I don't think I'd eat it even if I liked fish because I think that's kind of a loophole and misses the point of giving up meat.... but that's another thread) so I usually give up something that I really really really like (like my starbucks addiction) instead of dealing directly with ultra-low-calorie fasts.

[quote name='knightec' post='1649414' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:05 PM']During lent last year I fasted for the entire 40 days. I only ate 1 small meal each day. It was hard and I lost a lot of weight (35 lbs). I used the fast to show myself that if I could deny myself something that I truly needed then it should be easy or me to cut out all the stuff that I didnt need.[/quote]

I did that too,I did not lose that much weight but the I really think that denying yourself is very important,spiritually. Having self control is really what life is about. I have found it really hard to get back into the habit though. JC :popcorn:

Edited by jckinsman

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1649451' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:03 PM']I'm addicted to coca cola, and I actually managed to fast for the fourty days by denying myself it. Needless to say, I am terrible at fasting. (Granted, I was having an especially difficult time last Lent), but even times when I decide to fast something for a week, I tend to be very bad at it.[/quote]

They say that giving up things like that,is the same thing as fasting. I have the most trouble with caffiene.......of any kind.....except pop......well okay sometimes....pop! :coffee:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1649463' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:13 PM']I was already worrying yesterday about what I can give up for Lent. :P :)
Last year I didn't bring my MP3 player to school. Sounds easy, but not at my school. I wanted to kill music for existing without me.
Now I have to top that. :))[/quote]
That's a tough one. :saint:

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1649729' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:42 AM']That's a tough one. :saint:[/quote]
I'm sure I can think of something that's hard but won't kill me. :)