An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adventures In Unemployment

morostheos

So, I've been officially unemployed for about a week and a half now. I know that's not a long time, but I'm not one that handles not having something to do very well. So I figured I would make a thread about the adventure! Anyone else in a similar situation is welcome to join. :) Are you out there somewhere?

At this point, I'm not looking for any old job, I'd really like to get started on a permanent, career type job in environmental education. So I've been picky about the jobs I've applied for and such. I moved back in with my family for now, and I figure if I don't get a job within the next week or so I will probably start substitute teaching while I continue to look. I seem to get lots of interviews, but never a job offer.

I have another interview scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, please pray for me!

I was unemployed for 4 months.

I was sick at the time, and trying to get through interviews without grimacing.

Unfortunately, no job that provided health insurance was willing to hire me. Probably because
1. I looked sick
2. It was pretty clear from the flow of my resume that I'd be going back to school in a year or two, and therefor not sticking around long term.

So ugh. To me that was the worst thing about being unemployed ... if you have a chronic illness, you are up against a wall trying to beat the clock and get some employer-provided group insurance before the pre-existing condition clause clicks in and you have to risk declaring bankruptcy because of medical bills.

I actually considered going on disability at the ripe old age of 23.

Oh well. Here's to being one of the unwashed, uninsured (but finally gainfully employed)

I've unemployed for almost a month now. I am sstarting to freak out becasue I ned to eat and have student loans to start paying.

call your student loan people asap and let them know you're unemployed and under financial hardship. They're usually pretty easy about deffering loans if you've been vaidly looking for work.

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1653412' date='Sep 11 2008, 05:09 PM']I've unemployed for almost a month now. I am sstarting to freak out becasue I ned to eat and have student loans to start paying.[/quote]

Are you looking for part time jobs near your school or just jobs in general?

I was out of work for a year once. It was during a hiring freeze, and I literally took the state merit test for 100 jobs. I placed high enough on all of them that they had to give me an interview for any opening. I got one interview for the mail room at the capital. It required heavy lifting, and I walked with a cane. Not a great interview.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1653415' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:11 PM']call your student loan people asap and let them know you're unemployed and under financial hardship. They're usually pretty easy about deffering loans if you've been vaidly looking for work.[/quote]
It's an institutional loan from SCC. They will only defer it for six months. SO far tho0ugh... I haven't gotten any of the stuff in the mail... :idontknow:

[quote name='morostheos' post='1653417' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:11 PM']Are you looking for part time jobs near your school or just jobs in general?[/quote]

Jobs near/in Ave Maria. I have no transportation.

I was unemployed until last week. I graduated from college in June and couldn't find work as a lab tech. I settled for a job at a call centre in July, but I had to quit because of a moral conflict. I finally got a pretty good job auditing phone lines and mapping extensions for the 911 system on a military base. I work Mon-Fri , and it pays better than Tim Hortons lol. Hang in there, you'll find something soon. ^_^

I have been unemployed since August 8th as this summer I quit my job of three yeras (it was really time to get out of the food industry thought) and take a seasonal job with Diocese as a Summer Camp Counselor but also create a Religious program fro the summer camp which I did successfully.

This week I had interviewed for a job that would have been in the same line as a summer camp counselor, but this is a after school mentor with at risk kids. I thought the interview went very well, and well it did. I called the place today and inquired about the status of my application as they were going to call me yesterday, but they didn't. She told me that the interviewers really liked myself and thought I could bring a lot to the program and that they really wanted to hire me, but they didn't think my class schedule would work out with their schedule, they encouraged me to re-apply next semester, but next semester, I'll be back in seminary for the Diocese.

However, after that phone call, I decided to apply for a job with another group, this time the YMCA for an after school mentor job, four hours after submitting the online application they called me and asked me about my availability because I answered the question I was available at various times throughout the week (I have a night class Tuesday and Thursday and my class before the Night Class ends at a different time both days, Tuesday it ends at 1:00 and Thursday it ends at 3:00, so I could work for some time before my 6:00 night class). After explaining my availability she wanted to set up a job interview, so I'm hoping I get this job.

Anyways, I'm hopeful that if I present myself in the same way as I did at the Boys and Girls Club, I'll get the job.

I have an interview tomorrow, so please pray for me!

[quote name='the_rev' post='1653479' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:32 PM']I have an interview tomorrow, so please pray for me![/quote]

I'll pray for your interview! What time is it at?

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1653430' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:30 PM']It's an institutional loan from SCC. They will only defer it for six months. SO far tho0ugh... I haven't gotten any of the stuff in the mail... :idontknow:

Jobs near/in Ave Maria. I have no transportation.[/quote]

wait...aren't you in school again Missionseeker? If you are then you are able to defer your loans again while you are still in school, even if you took a break from school. When Micah and I start our Masters we'll both have been out of school for over a year and we can defer our loans again. So if you are in school please call SCC and tell them so and that you wish to defer while you are in school.

I was in that boat for a while. It can be a good blessing. I got to attend daily mass. Go on trips and ahve a lot of fun with out having to worry about work.

Enjoy!

Unemployment... looming :weep:

There is functionally no chance that I will ever be able to get another job. I'm trying not to think about it. :covereyes:

Edited by philothea