An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canadian Election

Mari Therese

Our Governor General is a really nice woman. She's kind of like a black Jackie Kennedy. I enjoyed getting to have tea with her, and joking that she must spend a lot of time keeping Rideau Hall clean. She said they don't even let her carry a dirty cup to the kitchen. We were on this veranda, and she told me the name of the woman who cleans just that one room, and has for 30 years, and her mother did it before her. I saw her stop to talk to one of the young soldiers who had snapped to attention so hard, I thought he was going to break the floor. She had heard that his mother was sick, and told him that if he wanted to be relieved, she'd ask the sergeant. This kid who couldn't have been older than 19 shouted, "no ma'am, I will stand my post." I swear the people I met there would all have taken a bullet for her.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1656612' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:27 AM']What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?[/quote]

One Less Drunk! :drunk:

At my cousins wedding, the wedding party spent the night in the drunk tank after a brawl between the two families. My family is Irish, we always have a very good time at funerals. KFC and lots of beer!

[quote name='Didacus' post='1658149' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:46 AM']The queen's representative, the Governer General, signs off in her stead.

One incident in the 1970s I believe was put on record with the Queen refusing to sign a certain law (don't know which one). After a brief call from the Canadien Prime minister, the Queen signed the law and nothing of the sort was ever heard of again. So yes, it is a formality of sorts, but by law, nothing can come into force in Canada without the signature of the Queen or her representative.[/quote]
Personally I'm in favour of leaving the Commonwealth entirely. I just see no real reason for it, other than nostalgia. Just more appointed officials that we don't actually need.
Although, this being Canada... Well, we're not exactly Vatican City.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1658862' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:58 PM']Personally I'm in favour of leaving the Commonwealth entirely. I just see no real reason for it, other than nostalgia. Just more appointed officials that we don't actually need.
Although, this being Canada... Well, we're not exactly Vatican City.[/quote]

The hell you say?!?!

Bring back the UnionJack!
(and I'm a fenchmen!)

LOL

Being part of the commonwealth serves as a symbolic friendship between nations and nothing more in my opinion. If Canada gets attacked, the commonwealth in theory shouldn't hesitate to help us - in theory. I just a big personal relations thing.

[quote name='Mari Therese' post='1658532' date='Sep 18 2008, 04:43 PM']One Less Drunk! :drunk:

At my cousins wedding, the wedding party spent the night in the drunk tank after a brawl between the two families. My family is Irish, we always have a very good time at funerals. KFC and lots of beer![/quote]

That's great!

LOL

I love Irish folk music.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1658986' date='Sep 19 2008, 08:46 AM']Being part of the commonwealth serves as a symbolic friendship between nations and nothing more in my opinion. If Canada gets attacked, the commonwealth in theory shouldn't hesitate to help us - in theory. I just a big personal relations thing.[/quote]
In theory... :)
In practice though, you think they'd hesitate to back the US if they were attacked? ...and the US went to war with them to separate! :))
I think secretly (or maybe not so much) the UK likes the US more than us anyway. ;)