An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death Magnetic

Sparky

I would say they were just straight up heavy metal and some speed thrown in there but really whatever. If you compare them to thrash bands like exodus, slayer, testament, anthrax or today like municipal waste or soilent green you would get why i dont think they were really a thrash metal band too much.

[quote name='Fixxxer' post='1657459' date='Sep 17 2008, 03:52 PM']I would say they were just straight up heavy metal and some speed thrown in there but really whatever. If you compare them to thrash bands like exodus, slayer, testament, anthrax or today like municipal waste or soilent green you would get why i dont think they were really a thrash metal band too much.[/quote]

Metallica, in their day, were the kings of flawlessly intricate speed.

Now days, Dragonforce may have best them on the speed - but not in the complex beauty of the arranged melodies. Metallica - especially in Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice - might as well have been modern day "classical" compositions.

wooo! getting the album as we speak, though i have heard a few songs of it. i liked them, but wasnt impressed with the unforgiven 3.

nahh, their riff were still thrashy after kill em all, just well produced and recorded is the main difference in sound. and if intricate and flawless makes you not a thrash band, then what about Testament? (i still say the far superior band, certainly holding on to the roots better.)

pretty good work by metallica, definitley a few big steps in the right direction. it is unfortunate that the band is run by Lars, because even in this album, he is the weak link musically.

Ouch, the disdain goes from Newstead to Ulrich.

I ca understand where you are comming from Fixxer. IMO they had enought speed thrown in to put them(Pre-black) in the same league as Megadeth, Anthrax, and Testament especially when compared to the "straight up heavy metal" bands of the 80's. I mean if you call them regular heavy metal than their contemporaries would be all those Euro and hairspray bands like WASP and the Scorpions. (They did tour and do concerts with such bands though)