An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone Read These Books?

tinytherese

fides quarens intellectum

i've read Kineke's book and really liked it - not too scholarly at all. i love how she takes ordinary women's tasks and shows how they can remind us of the Sacramental life we have as Catholics. Strongly recommend this book - quick and easy!

who is teh author of the other book you had mentioned?

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1657141' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:42 PM']i've read Kineke's book and really liked it - not too scholarly at all. i love how she takes ordinary women's tasks and shows how they can remind us of the Sacramental life we have as Catholics. Strongly recommend this book - quick and easy!

who is teh author of the other book you had mentioned?[/quote]

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. May he rest in peace. :sign:

JM + JT

Almost done with The World's First Love by the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. It's amazing. :)

His philosophy is so easy to understand and so beautiful. I've had to recommend it many times when I'm approached by women complaining about "not having a role" in the Church.

I'm hoping to have time to finish it soon. I have a friend who wants to read it and I'm borrowing it from a Carmelite Sister.

[quote name='salterrae' post='1663678' date='Sep 25 2008, 05:09 PM']JM + JT

Almost done with The World's First Love by the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. It's amazing. :)

His philosophy is so easy to understand and so beautiful. I've had to recommend it many times when I'm approached by women complaining about "not having a role" in the Church.

I'm hoping to have time to finish it soon. I have a friend who wants to read it and I'm borrowing it from a Carmelite Sister.[/quote]

Thank you! I started reading his Life of Christ book and I couldn't even get through chapter two because I couldn't stand how long it was. Then again, perhaps that isn't the thing to read at fourteen.

ScottishConvert

I have read [i]The Authentic Catholic Woman.[/i] Very readable, and I like how it relates to the everyday lives of women.

[i]The Priveldge of Being a Woman[/i] by Alice von Hildebrand, is also one that I think is worth a read.

Maria_Faustina

[quote name='ScottishConvert' post='1666144' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:51 AM']I have read [i]The Authentic Catholic Woman.[/i] Very readable, and I like how it relates to the everyday lives of women.

[i]The Priveldge of Being a Woman[/i] by Alice von Hildebrand, is also one that I think is worth a read.[/quote]

[i]The Privilege of Being a Woman[/i] is indeed a good book. It's a small, pretty short book, and is well-organized. She seemed very knowledgable on the topic, and covered a variety of angles and views about the role and dignity of women.

Thomist-in-Training

I like [iThe World's First Love.][/i] It's about Our Lady and if I remember rightly, each chapter examines some particular issue in relation to Our Lady, as if the Archbishop were turning a jewel and looking at different facets. This means that it is good for meditating on piecemeal; you can read one chapter and come back to the book much later without feeling guilty. It's not heavy; no footnotes and more like a book of meditative essays than a sustained argument.

Edited by Thomist-in-Training