An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Would The 10- Or 20-years-older Version Of Yourself Say?

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

So, some people aren't sure what their five-year plan even is, so in this thread I give you a choice of 10 or 20 years in the future. Just as the other thread can help us see how far we'll come, maybe thinking about this will allow you to analyze where you're going and find some wisdom the future you would want you to have. Of course, that implies that you already know what you need to do in life, but sometimes we have an idea what God's calling us to and just need to express it so that we can step forward in following His path.

20 years from now (age: 43):

"Don't worry, you finally figure out your priorities in life and start up your catechetical organization. After that, you hire all your old friends (and then some) from FUS to assist with the work your business does and y'all live very close to one another and hang out frequently. You have the world's cutest 12 kids and the most beautiful 43-year-old wife on the planet. Don't worry about your lack of money, God provides. Don't be afraid to stand up for what's right, even if you're not in the best position to do so. Stop judging others. Pray for humility. Lose some weight. Start exercising. Get a real wardrobe. Buy a Prius. Finish your book. Move to Colorado. Be joyful. Smile even when you don't want to. Don't be a servant to your wants. Master yourself. Love your wife. Love your kids. Pray, hope, and don't worry."

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='rachael' post='1656641' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:37 AM']"You're still on Phatmass?" :huh:[/quote]
:unsure: Wouldn't your much-older-counterpart already know that?

franciscanheart

[quote name='Raphael' post='1656638' date='Sep 16 2008, 09:31 AM']So, some people aren't sure what [color="red"][s]they're[/s] their[/color] five-year plan even is, so in this thread I give you a choice of 10 or 20 years in the future. Just as the other thread can help us see how far we'll come, maybe thinking about this will allow you to analyze where you're going and find some wisdom the future you would want you to have. Of course, that implies that you already know what you need to do in life, but sometimes we have an idea what God's calling us to and just need to express it so that we can step forward in following His path.

20 years from now (age: 43):

"Don't worry, you finally figure out your priorities in life and start up your catechetical organization. After that, you hire all your old friends (and then some) from FUS to assist with the work your business does and y'all live very close to one another and hang out frequently. You have the world's cutest 12 kids and the most beautiful 43-year-old wife on the planet. Don't worry about your lack of money, God provides. Don't be afraid to stand up for what's right, even if you're not in the best position to do so. Stop judging others. Pray for humility. Lose some weight. Start exercising. Get a real wardrobe. Buy a Prius. Finish your book. Move to Colorado. Be joyful. Smile even when you don't want to. Don't be a servant to your wants. Master yourself. Love your wife. Love your kids. Pray, hope, and don't worry."[/quote]
Colorado? Why Colorado?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1656647' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:43 AM']Colorado? Why Colorado?[/quote]
I'm not sure why you corrected my grammar. :whistle:

:P Thanks...unfortunately, since I no longer write for a grade, some of my grammar has gone downhill. I need to work on that.

And Colorado because...hmmm...I love Colorado. Crisp, clean air, mountains, pine, and I love the architecture and look of a nice log and stone cottage.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1656667' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:57 AM']I'm not sure why you corrected my grammar. :whistle:

:P Thanks...unfortunately, since I no longer write for a grade, some of my grammar has gone downhill. I need to work on that.

And Colorado because...hmmm...I love Colorado. Crisp, clean air, mountains, pine, and I love the architecture and look of a nice log and stone cottage.[/quote]
Ugh. Colorado is gorgeous.

To myself at 22: "Stop wasting your time and emotions with the guy you're dating. He's not a bad person, but he's a troubled man and not marriage material. Appreciate every moment you have with mom. She's not going to be around too much longer."

To myself at 12: "Oh don't worry about not having a boyfriend. Stop trying so hard to be like your brothers. You don't have to fit into the same mold as them. Appreciate and explore the artistic talents God gave you. By the way, there's a fledgling up and coming computer company just on the other side of the mountains called Microsoft. Tell Mom and Dad to buy stock in it."

Edited by Ash Wednesday

So.. Am I going back 20 years? Or forward?

Forward me would say to me now (20 years): "You seriously need to have a night scheduled for just your family. It is great that you are doing so much, but you kids need you right now. They will be grown up by the time you slow down to be there. Stop smoking. Love everyone in your life a little more."

Backward say to myself then (20 years): "Don't fuss so much about boys. Take ownership of what you love, and get involved now. Refuse to go on the Pill. Start playing a sport or taking art lessons. For some reason you will really regret not doing this. Continue with your vocal lessons. No, smoking is not cool. Don't try it."

Say to myself 10 years ago: "It isn't too late to respect yourself. Go off of the Pill. Sex is not just a game. Move out of living with your boyfriend, and don't do it again. You really need to learn to pray. You drink to much, and drugs are not a good thing. Get an interest. Pick up a hobby. Put out that freakin' cigarette. Did you not hear me when you were nine??"

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1656685' date='Sep 16 2008, 06:47 PM']"By the way, there's a fledgling up and coming computer company just on the other side of the mountains called Microsoft. Tell Mom and Dad to buy stock in it."[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='prose' post='1656708' date='Sep 16 2008, 12:28 PM']So.. Am I going back 20 years? Or forward?

Forward me would say to me now (20 years): "You seriously need to have a night scheduled for just your family. It is great that you are doing so much, but you kids need you right now. They will be grown up by the time you slow down to be there. Stop smoking. Love everyone in your life a little more."

Backward say to myself then (20 years): "Don't fuss so much about boys. Take ownership of what you love, and get involved now. Refuse to go on the Pill. Start playing a sport or taking art lessons. For some reason you will really regret not doing this. Continue with your vocal lessons. No, smoking is not cool. Don't try it."

Say to myself 10 years ago: "It isn't too late to respect yourself. Go off of the Pill. Sex is not just a game. Move out of living with your boyfriend, and don't do it again. You really need to learn to pray. You drink to much, and drugs are not a good thing. Get an interest. Pick up a hobby. Put out that freakin' cigarette. Did you not hear me when you were nine??"[/quote]

ROFL

I meant yourself 20 years from now talking to you as you are now, but this is pretty funny nonetheless (the "did you not hear me when you were nine" part made me laugh).

If I may say so myself, it sounds like you've come a long way in the right direction. :)

Hmm...

20 years from now I'll be 39...

"Stop fussing and just trust God...yes, i know you SAY you do, but saying and doing are two different things. You need to completly trust that his plan for your life is the best...what?...oh, yes, of course I know you are confused. i was you, after all...whether you become a nun or a mother, you'll still be serving God. And that is what is important."

Future me is wise ^_^