An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Rosary Is A Gang Symbol

socalscout

Before you guys jump all over Rosary wearing, in some Catholic cultures wearing Rosaries are the norm. They are usually worn under clothing as a devotional like saint's medals and scapulars.

[quote name='Maximilianus' post='1657415' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:50 PM']Before you guys jump all over Rosary wearing, in some Catholic cultures wearing Rosaries are the norm. They are usually worn under clothing as a devotional like saint's medals and scapulars.[/quote]

My father wore one all during WWII, even when he was a POW. I think that's what upsets me so much. Gangs co-opting stuff ruins it for people of true devotion.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1657495' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:00 PM'][b]My father wore one all during WWII, even when he was a POW[/b]. I think that's what upsets me so much. Gangs co-opting stuff ruins it for people of true devotion.[/quote]

That's some pretty true devotion right there ...

my cousin used to wear a rosary for protection...until kids accused him of being in a gang. that was sad.

Edited by Seven77

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1657834' date='Sep 17 2008, 10:18 PM']The Miraculous Medal is the symbol of my gang. I run with the M.I., how cool is that! :cool:[/quote]

I thought that was your "bullet"? :D

Lemme guess, colors are blue and white? Gang tattoo: Immaculate Heart?

I have heard this before, about the association of certain marian devotions becoming linked with gangs.
Some guys have our lady tatooed on thier body as a form of protection i.e. to protect from being shot by another gang.

Ironically the Rosary is probably the most powerful weapon that can be found on a gang-member's person.