An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion Issue Again Dividing Catholic Votes

kenrockthefirst

kenrockthefirst

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/us/politics/17catholics.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin"]Abortion Issue Again Dividing Catholic Votes[/url]

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1657783' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:38 PM']A true Catholic should have no problem deciding who to vote for in this election.[/quote]

Better said a 'faithful catholic' rather than true in my opinion.

back to you Bob...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1657783' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:38 PM']A true Catholic should have no problem deciding who to vote for in this election.[/quote]
With respect, I don't think it's as simple as that. Clearly, Obama is not tenable due to his support for abortion. However, what should a "true Catholic" think about McCain's support for the war in Iraq, about which the Church is dubious at best; what should a "true Catholic" think about McCain's support for "enhanced interrogation techniques," i.e. torture; what should a "true Catholic" think about McCain's support for the erosion of civil liberties in the US; what should a "true Catholic" think about the Republican party's preference for and catering to monied interests, in direct opposition to Catholic social teaching? These issues are all debatable, of course, but the point is it's not a "slam dunk."

Just to be clear, I don't think there's any possible way to justify a vote for Obama. I'm simply saying that McCain is a deeply flawed candidate based on his policy positions, including "life," on which he also has a questionable record.

What if we all wrote in, "none of the above," or "Dr. Ron Paul?"

It really is quite simple. VOTE PRO-LIFE. As Catholics, we need to ALWAYS go for the PRO-LIFE ticket, not the radically ABORTION-FREE-FOR-ALL candidates. People on this forum don't seem to understand that ever since ROE V. WADE...this has been THE ONE ISSUE. We CANNOT have all the rest without the LIFE issue being resolved first. You want our country out of the war, end abortion in our country. Violence begets violence. We're slaughtering our own children, and yet, WE DON'T EXPECT TO BE SLAUGHTERED? War is a PUNISHMENT for our evil crime. You want to help the poor and needy in our country? Stand up for the poor and needy in the womb. You don't want torture for criminals? End the torture of the babies in their own mother's wombs. IT IS SIMPLE. VOTE PRO-LIFE!

As far as the issues you bring up, these issues have been around ever since the beginning of our country. They will always be around. If what you suggest is the best thing to do, we Catholics would NEVER vote! Don't waste a vote by writing in a candidate. Vote for McCain/Palin because they will do what they can against Abortion. OBAMA will NOT!

[quote name='Didacus' post='1658162' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:39 AM']Better said a 'faithful catholic' rather than true in my opinion.

back to you Bob...[/quote]
Yes, upon closer review, that wording is better.

And Ken, as DS said, a [i]faithful[/i] Catholic should always go for the (more) pro-life candidate. I've never contested that the Republican party carries the mandate of heaven, or the four marks of the Church. On the contrary; when friends/classmates ask me if I'm a republican or democrat, I say neither, because neither party fits with me.
But as I have just said, and as DS said before me, a faithful Catholic should always go for the most pro-life candidate.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1658191' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:17 AM']People on this forum don't seem to understand that ever since ROE V. WADE...this has been THE ONE ISSUE.[/quote]

so never mind the all the unborn that were aborted [i]before[/i] Roe v Wade?

[quote name='Didymus' post='1659049' date='Sep 19 2008, 11:06 AM']so never mind the all the unborn that were aborted [i]before[/i] Roe v Wade?[/quote]

:rolleyes:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Didymus' post='1659049' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:06 PM']so never mind the all the unborn that were aborted [i]before[/i] Roe v Wade?[/quote]

No, of course not, and you know better. The issue after Roe v Wade was that infanticide was 'legalized' which has lead to mass genocide.

Of course I know better.. But I'm getting pretty sick and tired of folks unecessarily stressing a document instead of the abortions at hand..

We set ourselves up to buy into the campaigns of anyone who merely says they believe life begins at conception but never do anything for the women who walk into the abortion clinic everyday once we vote them into office.

If this truly is the ONE ISSUE at hand, then why the devil aren't we demanding more from our worthless elected "pro-life" officials then allowing ourselves to be duped by their rhetoric, all the while they do next to squat for us..

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1659061' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:17 PM']:rolleyes:[/quote]

well that helped the discussion.. maybe we'll do better to just regurgitate more rhetoric..