An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion Issue Again Dividing Catholic Votes

kenrockthefirst

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1660927' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:53 AM']................then you would take away votes for McCain and Obama could win. This makes no sense to do so. McCain was not my first choice but I will vote for him,NO QUESTION,on my ballot. So if you want Obama to win,be that foolish.[/quote]
What you call foolishness, I call discretion. Under no circumstances will I vote for Obama because of his pro-abortion stance. Having said that, under no circumstances will I vote for McCain:
[list=1]
[*]I don't believe he is "bullet proof" pro-life.
[*]I think that he's simply "playing" pro-life voters.
[*]His policy positions on everything else have already been proved to be disastrous.
[/list]
In other words, unlike you, with respect to McCain I have lots of questions.

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1661034' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:59 PM']It's not exactly a wasted vote - every percentage point sends a message to the politicians, media, pollsters, and general public. It gives encouragement to the pro-life side when the polls are close... and to the pro-murder side (I refuse to call it choice) when the numbers are so one-sided.

I was reading some reaction to an article in a California newspaper yesterday. The pro-life voters out there are on fire! They know they aren't going to win the state - this year - but they want their votes reflected in the percentage points. Refusing to vote is senseless. It is our duty as citizens.[/quote]

I definitely agree that everyone should vote, but I would say that voting in order to send a message to politicians versus voting for the individual who best represents your own platform is a decision that should be made by the voter and that decision ought to be respected by all voters. This is regardless of the issue. e.g. I might vote for Ron Paul come November, because he is both "pro-life" and he better matches my own platform for the country when compared to Obama and McCain..