An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Vs. Mccain Vs. Palin...

jkaands

BARACK OBAMA VS SARAH PALIN AND JOHN McCAIN

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight.....

* If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic,
different."

* Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack, you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, or Bristol, you're a ' maverick'.

* Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first
black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive
that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law
professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over
750,000 people (that's more people than in [i]all of Alaska[/i]), become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people, while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have
any real leadership experience.

* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and
6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the
governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become
the country's second highest ranking executive.

* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising 2
beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real
Christian.

* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your
disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.

* If you teach children about sexual predators, you are irresponsible
and eroding the fiber of society.

* If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other
option in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed teen
daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a
prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community,
then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't
represent America 's.

* If your husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction
and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was
a member of a group that hates America and advocated the secession of Alaska
from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now.

How about if you "personally believe" that life begins at conception, but you don't want to "impose" that belief on anyone else... are you really a Catholic? <coughjoebidencough>

Jkaands, if your intent is to convert people to the Obama side, this post is actually harmful to that cause. Just an FYI.

Now, if your intent is to show that you are able to copy & paste a biased and distorted thought process and unable to present a balanced viewpoint, mission accomplished. Congrats.

I'll remember this the next time I'm bitter and heading to the gun range after Mass....

[quote name='jkaands' post='1657407' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:28 PM']spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over
750,000 people (that's more people than in [i]all of Alaska[/i]),[/quote]

OK, I will start with the fact checking. Illinois has about 12 million people, and there are 59 state senate districts. That works out to roughly 200,000 people per district, not 750,000.

Next!

[quote name='dUSt' post='1657436' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:41 PM']Jkaands, if your intent is to convert people to the Obama side, this post is actually harmful to that cause. Just an FYI.

Now, if your intent is to show that you are able to copy & paste a biased and distorted thought process and unable to present a balanced viewpoint, mission accomplished. Congrats.[/quote]

What he said...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1657437' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:41 PM']I'll remember this the next time I'm bitter and heading to the gun range after Mass....

OK, I will start with the fact checking. Illinois has about 12 million people, and there are 59 state senate districts. That works out to roughly 200,000 people per district, not 750,000.

Next![/quote]
Assuming, of course, that the population of IL is spread evenly across the state. However, the 13th district, which Obama - and, incidentally, Donald Rumsfeld - represented was in the Chicago suburbs. According to the [url="http://fastfacts.census.gov/servlet/CWSFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=50000US1713&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US17%7C50000US1712&_street=&_county=&_cd=50000US1713&_cityTown=&_state=04000US17&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=500&_content=&_keyword=&_industry="]2000 census[/url], that district had a total population of 653,647. Not quite 750,000 but more than 200,000, and still greater than AK's population.

Next! :saint:

What does the size of Obama's [b]distric[/b]t have to do with the size of Palin's [b]state[/b]? I think the word that should be focused on is "representing" people as opposed to actually "governing" people.

I think the president is actually suppose to [b]"govern"[/b] the United States as opposed to [b]"represent"[/b] the United States. That's why we have Richard Simmons and Willie Nelson.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1657436' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:41 PM']Jkaands, if your intent is to convert people to the Obama side, this post is actually harmful to that cause. Just an FYI.

Now, if your intent is to show that you are able to copy & paste a biased and distorted thought process and unable to present a balanced viewpoint, mission accomplished. Congrats.[/quote]

I thought that what I posted was very clever and factually accurate.

One of the many things I object to about McCain is the circumstances leading up to the breakup of his first marriage. He had married Carol, adopted her two sons by a previous marriage, and they had a daughter between them. Then he was shot down, captured an was a POW when Carol, his first wife, was in a terrible car crash, breaking her legs and pelvis in multiple places and leading to 23 operations and a loss of 4-5" in height. She did not tell John about this in the letters permitted her, and she felt he was undergoing something just as bad. He returned as a very handsome and ambitious war hero. While in Hawaii, he met at a reception a beautiful young (18 years younger than he) blond young women who was very rich. According to [i]an eye-witness[/i], a friend of his, he was smitten on the spot. He pursued her for the next six months, taking advantage of weekend trysts set up by friends. Finally he divorced Carol, who was crushed, and married The Heiress 5 weeks later. Carol never re-married.

All of this is well-documented, not innuendo.

When I married, I promised to[i] cherish my husband for better or worse, in sickness and in health.[/i] That was 35 years ago. We are still married.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1657451' date='Sep 17 2008, 02:22 PM']Assuming, of course, that the population of IL is spread evenly across the state. However, the 13th district, which Obama - and, incidentally, Donald Rumsfeld - represented was in the Chicago suburbs. According to the [url="http://fastfacts.census.gov/servlet/CWSFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=50000US1713&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US17%7C50000US1712&_street=&_county=&_cd=50000US1713&_cityTown=&_state=04000US17&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=500&_content=&_keyword=&_industry="]2000 census[/url], that district had a total population of 653,647. Not quite 750,000 but more than 200,000, and still greater than AK's population.

Next! :saint:[/quote]

Obama's district is according to a more recent census, now is closer to 750,000 people. It includes includes black and white, rich and poor. It is not a typical 'suburb'.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dUSt' post='1657467' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:10 PM']What does the size of Obama's [b]distric[/b]t have to do with the size of Palin's [b]state[/b]? I think the word that should be focused on is "representing" people as opposed to actually "governing" people.[/quote]
I was simply responding to Norseman82's statement re "fact checking."

[quote name='dUSt' post='1657467' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:10 PM']I think the president is actually suppose to [b]"govern"[/b] the United States as opposed to [b]"represent"[/b] the United States. That's why we have Richard Simmons and Willie Nelson.[/quote]
Strictly speaking, as VP Sarah Palin isn't going to "govern" anything except the US Senate. In actual fact, all three branches of the US Federal Government, including Congressional [i]representatives[/i], "govern" the US.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1657451' date='Sep 17 2008, 02:22 PM']Assuming, of course, that the population of IL is spread evenly across the state. However, the 13th district, which Obama - and, incidentally, Donald Rumsfeld - represented was in the Chicago suburbs. According to the [url="http://fastfacts.census.gov/servlet/CWSFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=50000US1713&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US17%7C50000US1712&_street=&_county=&_cd=50000US1713&_cityTown=&_state=04000US17&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=500&_content=&_keyword=&_industry="]2000 census[/url], that district had a total population of 653,647. Not quite 750,000 but more than 200,000, and still greater than AK's population.

I am sorry. I apologize. Obama was the state senator of the 13th district in IL which has only
[u][b]
653,647[/b][/u] people in it in 2006.

Check it out.

[url="http://projects.washingtonpost.com/elections/keyraces/census/il/district-13/"]http://projects.washingtonpost.com/electio...il/district-13/[/url]

That's when Palin was mayor of Wasilla, pop 6000+, I believe. Even then, Palin ran into problems governing this small town.

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/13/AR2008091302596.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8091302596.html[/url]

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1657451' date='Sep 17 2008, 03:22 PM']Assuming, of course, that the population of IL is spread evenly across the state. However, the 13th district, which Obama - and, incidentally, Donald Rumsfeld - represented was in the Chicago suburbs. According to the [url="http://fastfacts.census.gov/servlet/CWSFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=50000US1713&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US17%7C50000US1712&_street=&_county=&_cd=50000US1713&_cityTown=&_state=04000US17&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=500&_content=&_keyword=&_industry="]2000 census[/url], that district had a total population of 653,647. Not quite 750,000 but more than 200,000, and still greater than AK's population.

[quote name='jkaands' post='1657474' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:23 PM']Obama's district is according to a more recent census, now is closer to 750,000 people. It includes includes black and white, rich and poor. It is not a typical 'suburb'.[/quote]

The 13th district that is being quoted here is the 13th CONGRESSIONAL district in the western suburbs. Obama did not represent that district and he was never a member of the US House; he was a state senator who represented a district on the South Side of Chicago.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1657515' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:24 PM']The 13th district that is being quoted here is the 13th CONGRESSIONAL district in the western suburbs. Obama did not represent that district and he was never a member of the US House; he was a state senator who represented a district on the South Side of Chicago.[/quote]

Next!

Actually, to be fair, a senator represents the entire state, not necessarily a particular district like a congressman. Therefore, he would [b]represent [/b]at least half of the roughly 12 million people in IL.

However, to continue being fair, as far as I could find after a google search - Obama's vast legislative experience and efforts have culminated in only 15 laws being passed:

Two foreign concerns:
Promote relief, security and democracy in the Congo (2125)
Develop democratic institutions in areas under Palestinian control (2370)

Three public health:
Improve mine safety (2803)
Increased breast cancer funding (597)
Reduce preterm delivery and complications, reduce infant mortality (707)

Two concerning the government:
Strengthening the Freedom of Information Act (2488)
Full disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds (2590

Two "national security"
Extend Terrorist Risk Insurance (467)
Amend the Patriot Act (2167)

One referencing the Armed Forces
Wave passport fees to visit graves, attend memorials/funerals of veterans abroad (1184).

As stated before, there is a big difference between leading people and representing them. Obama does not have any real experience on truly leading people. He is good at getting consensus, but a leader must lead, through the tough times and the good times. A leader will have to do what is right, not what the consensus may be. Palin at least has been an executive and though not as long as some, more than most of the candidates. You are right about McCain and what he did to his first wife. When asked at the first "debate" about his biggest moral failing, he said..."the failure of my first marriage." At least he "fessed" up on national TV, unlike some of our previous leaders.

Peace,

MilesJesu