An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canadian Doctors 'fear' Sarah Palin

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1659007' date='Sep 19 2008, 09:40 AM']Throwing an Order of Canada back isn't as easy as that. When my husband got his, the next morning in the hotel, we woke up throwing up. In his official picture with the Governor General, he looks like a deer in headlights. He was terrified he was going to trip on national TV.[/quote]
Oh I know, I know. I realize that. I think we even talked about this a while back.
I just think it's something I could do for the pro life crusade, you know?
Well... that is, assuming I'd actually get the Order of Canada, which technically isn't very likely. :) I'm not as cool as your family.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1659010' date='Sep 19 2008, 09:48 AM']Your husband got an order of Canada? Nice. What for?
(is he considering bringing it back in light of Mortgentalor's nomination?)[/quote]

It was for advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill. He struggled with whether he should or not. He described it as a poor kid getting a special Christmas present, and then being asked to give it back the next day. He also felt like he was accepting it not just for himself, but for all the people with schizophrenia who lead lives of quiet desperation. When he visits the mental hospital, people who are still actively psychotic or delusional, see him, and tell him how important it was that he got it. It gave them hope that maybe they could have decent lives too. In the end, he just couldn't do it. Even the Knights told him to keep it, which surprised me.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1659542' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:54 PM']It was for advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill. He struggled with whether he should or not. He described it as a poor kid getting a special Christmas present, and then being asked to give it back the next day. He also felt like he was accepting it not just for himself, but for all the people with schizophrenia who lead lives of quiet desperation. When he visits the mental hospital, people who are still actively psychotic or delusional, see him, and tell him how important it was that he got it. It gave them hope that maybe they could have decent lives too. In the end, he just couldn't do it. Even the Knights told him to keep it, which surprised me.[/quote]
I think I just found your husband on the internet (hope you don't mind...). He seems awesome! There are people that bring the Order of Canada down, but then there are people like him that bring it real meaning.
More people like him should be recieving it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1659440' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:26 PM']I'm not as cool as your family.[/quote]

My husband once told me that if he hadn't come down with schizophrenia, he would be a boring associate professor somewhere. If I hadn't gotten hurt, I'd probably still be slogging away doing non-profit legal work. Sometimes life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1659551' date='Sep 19 2008, 07:00 PM']My husband once told me that if he hadn't come down with schizophrenia, he would be a boring associate professor somewhere. If I hadn't gotten hurt, I'd probably still be slogging away doing non-profit legal work. Sometimes life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.[/quote]
I guess some people are just kind of forced to be awesome, eh?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1659542' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:54 PM']It was for advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill. He struggled with whether he should or not. He described it as a poor kid getting a special Christmas present, and then being asked to give it back the next day. He also felt like he was accepting it not just for himself, but for all the people with schizophrenia who lead lives of quiet desperation. When he visits the mental hospital, people who are still actively psychotic or delusional, see him, and tell him how important it was that he got it. It gave them hope that maybe they could have decent lives too. In the end, he just couldn't do it. Even the Knights told him to keep it, which surprised me.[/quote]

A worthy cause. Schizophrenia runs in my family.

It must be terrible to be split between choosing two good causes.

God bless you both.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1660768' date='Sep 21 2008, 08:37 PM']A worthy cause. Schizophrenia runs in my family.

It must be terrible to be split between choosing two good causes.

God bless you both.[/quote]
Agree! :)