An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican: Guess What, Darwin? Evolution Is Ok

Terra Pax

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26747166/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26747166/[/url]

What do you make of this? I think it's old news... my faith and science are never in conflict since God is the author of science...

This isn't news.
I don't see the need to endorse nor deny evolution; I can see it going either way, and in either case, it has little impact on my faith or other aspects of my life.

EDIT: I wasn't being a nay-sayer to it being posted, I was more sounding my agreement with the OP.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='Majella' post='1658737' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:58 PM']I don't believe Creationism and evolution are compatible! The "Big Bang"; Humans evolving from apes; etc?
The modernists in the Church are still active!!!![/quote]

The Bible tells us how to go to Heaven, not how the heavens go...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='mortify' post='1658640' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:17 PM']I personally believe the first man was immediately and miraculously created from the earth.[/quote]

So does Mother Church.

[quote name='Majella' post='1658737' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:58 PM']I don't believe Creationism and evolution are compatible! The "Big Bang"; Humans evolving from apes; etc?
Is it that some are modernist, or that some are afraid of science?

I never have seen any conflict between science and religion.
Basically... (to me) the science that is true is true no matter what. Obviously that means God created it to be so. That makes it a holy part of Creation.
Evolution seems to be no less a miracle to me.

PS: by saying this I don't want to give the impression that I'm calling evolution a proven truth. I know that there are still conflicts over some aspects, so I was talking in general terms.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1658855' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:49 AM']I never have seen any conflict between science and religion.
Basically... (to me) the science that is true is true no matter what. Obviously that means God created it to be so. That makes it a holy part of Creation.
Evolution seems to be no less a miracle to me.

PS: by saying this I don't want to give the impression that I'm calling evolution a proven truth. I know that there are still conflicts over some aspects, so I was talking in general terms.[/quote]
i agree. science is the explanation of what God has made, it can't be wrong. what can be wrong, however, is how humans interpret it.

[quote name='Terra Pax' post='1658616' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:53 PM'][url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26747166/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26747166/[/url]

What do you make of this? I think it's old news... my faith and science are never in conflict since God is the author of science...[/quote]

not surprising. seen this coming a mile away

[quote name='Majella' post='1658737' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:58 PM']I don't believe Creationism and evolution are compatible! The "Big Bang"; Humans evolving from apes; etc?

word

[quote name='mortify' post='1659390' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:12 PM']It's all good as long as we remember reason is subject to faith, and not the other way around.[/quote]
I prefer to look at it... that one isn't subject to the other because neither contradict each other. Ever. They just can't. It's like if you wrote a story, and someone tried to tell you that you interpreted it incorrectly.
So obviously if there was ever a question between our Catholic beliefs and science, we would know that science is incorrect and more research has to be done. It's not that faith "takes precedende", it's just... I dunno what you'd call it. A law on noncontradiction.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1659418' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:58 PM']I prefer to look at it... that one isn't subject to the other because neither contradict each other. Ever. They just can't. It's like if you wrote a story, and someone tried to tell you that you interpreted it incorrectly.
So obviously if there was ever a question between our Catholic beliefs and science, we would know that science is incorrect and more research has to be done. It's not that faith "takes precedende", it's just... I dunno what you'd call it. A law on noncontradiction.[/quote]
precisely, because God made everything in the universe, it can't contradict reason. because science is inherently objective in terms of not contradicting reason yet subjective in terms of interpretation, you can't always assume every scientific advancement has made it to the stage of being objectively true until it lines with reason.