An Old School Catholic Message Board

Levels Of Education And Relationships

Anastasia13

I can tell you this much, I've seen kids graduate from college with a diploma in their hands but they hadn't really learned much of a cotton pickin' thing.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1660821' date='Sep 21 2008, 08:44 PM']I can tell you this much, I've seen kids graduate from college with a diploma in their hands but they hadn't really learned much of a cotton pickin' thing.[/quote]
I fear that being me. I need to start reading more about economic stuff. Feel free to pray for me.

Didn't read the thread, I am just responding to the original post.

My husband is a tradesman and I have my B.A. (applied psych). I also have some Master's degree courses done.

Didn't make a difference to me. In fact, as of January, I will be a stay at home mom, and he will be working, so thank goodness he has a strong paying trade under his belt.

He is a very smart, wise man. I am blessed to have him.

Before I met him, I was determined to marry a lawyer or some sort of business professional. Now I am glad that I didn't :)

Like others here, I'd say the letters after your name don't matter as much as whether a person demonstrates intellectual curiosity (to me, at least). I used to think wanting someone who was intelligent and loved learning was "shallow," as someone said earlier, but I no longer think so. I think if I restricted myself to college grads only, that would be shallow. It fails to look past the surface achievements to see the person beneath. My fiance does not have a bachelors, but I have an advanced degree. He reads constantly and I've never met someone more interested in learning about anything and everything. His family circumstances prevented his finishing a degree, but he has more than made up for that (in my book).

I think it's also worth noting that schooling tends to only emphasize certain styles of learning and certain types of intelligence. There is more to life than book smarts.