An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Bible Goes Green

Terra Pax

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1661415' date='Sep 22 2008, 07:08 PM']Yeah, I read that, but I must have misunderstood what political agenda you see as being pushed.
Could you clarify that for me?[/quote]

The whole "green letter" thing...

[quote name='Terra Pax' post='1660902' date='Sep 22 2008, 01:34 AM'][url="http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1842268,00.html?xid=site-cnn-partner"]http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...ite-cnn-partner[/url][/quote]

Cool! Probably didn't have to name it "The Green Bible" but it's always good to be green where possible. -Katie

[quote name='Terra Pax' post='1661312' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:26 PM']I don't see what's wrong with using the natural things God created to print and distribute His holy word.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1661389' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:43 PM']It's not what it's made out of the bothers me. It's the misuse of God's word to create a political point that has nothing to do with Christianity.[/quote]
Being good stewards of the Earth and protecting God's pure creations is against Christianity? I'm not sure what Christianity you are practicing, but it must not be the same Christianity I am practicing...

The parts in green refer to nature and the call to be stewards of creation.

Edited by Terra Pax

I think he is trying to explain, that this move is for political purposes only. Like Al Gore, it's all money and fame. Even the Big Scientists on global warming claim that he is way over exaggerating it. This move, though could be very good, does seem to be trying to make a political statement.

[quote name='Terra Pax' post='1661575' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:50 PM']Being good stewards of the Earth and protecting God's pure creations is against Christianity? I'm not sure what Christianity you are practicing, but it must not be the same Christianity I am practicing...[/quote]

Hmm...I don't recall saying we shouldn't be good stewards.

[quote]The parts in green refer to nature and the call to be stewards of creation.[/quote]

Highlighting specific passages of the Bible shows they're more important than the rest.

Edited by T-Bone _

Hey, it's not like they're taken out books that disagree with the environmental movement.

However, it doesn't seem very environmental to me, because I doubt this would be anyone's only bible.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1661585' date='Sep 22 2008, 10:57 PM']Hmm...I don't recall saying we shouldn't be good stewards.

Highlighting specific passages of the Bible shows they're more important than the rest.[/quote]
or it could be highlighting specific points, not trying to say they are more important. Like a study bible, but with emphasis on taking care of the planet entrusted to us.

missionarybelle

I like the idea of it being on recycled paper and whatnot but I find the focus of this to be more of a political piece than jsut a "green Bible" so i guess i would disagree with that. all in all though i'm not really opposed to it i jsut think it's kinda dumb.

[quote name='Terra Pax' post='1661575' date='Sep 22 2008, 11:50 PM']Being good stewards of the Earth and protecting God's pure creations is against Christianity? I'm not sure what Christianity you are practicing, but it must not be the same Christianity I am practicing...

The parts in green refer to nature and the call to be stewards of creation.[/quote]

I don't think anyone said protecting God's creation is against Christianity. I actually agree with T-Bone_. It is good to spread earth awareness and encourage people to respect the planet that God put us on, but at the same time the focus of the Gospel is not nature and the earth but it is Christ. And I very much agree that the people who are publishing this are only trying to make a political point.

[quote name='Sarah_JC' post='1661595' date='Sep 22 2008, 09:04 PM']...
However, it doesn't seem very environmental to me, because I doubt this would be anyone's only bible.[/quote]

haha yeah, i have at least 2 bibles in my room :idontknow:

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1661389' date='Sep 22 2008, 07:43 PM']It's not what it's made out of the bothers me. It's the misuse of God's word to create a political point that has nothing to do with Christianity.[/quote]
This is correct!