An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are There Any Black People On Phatmass ?

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1668084' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:56 AM']wow, i didnt even know there were 4 million black catholics...
i have never even seen a black catholic at mass, granted i live in ohio...[/quote]
Africa has a strong and devout Catholic population and many of the UK's African immigrants contribute in a big way to our parishes (religious, youth ministers, altar servers...) My parish is about 20% African/AfroCaribbean origin. My sister's parish in London is 70%.

A few of my friends who have lurked on phatmass are Black British. My kids are half Black but they're not on phatmass...yet. :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='misereremi' post='1668386' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:55 AM']A few of my friends who have lurked on phatmass are Black British. My kids are half Black but they're not on phatmass...yet. :)[/quote]

Begs the question... why aren't there any black British comedians?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1668084' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:56 PM']wow, i didnt even know there were 4 million black catholics...[/quote]

Might sound like a lot, but there are roughly 65 million Catholics, so only about 6% are African-American, compared to 12-13% of the country.

Their numbers do include the bishop of Memphis and archbishop of Atlanta. They're brothers, yo.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

puellapaschalis

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1668404' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:31 PM']Begs the question... why aren't there any black British comedians?[/quote]

Lenny Henry?

I live in the Dallas area and we have quite a few black families that attend my parish, mainly from Africa, and some are hurricane Katrina families that relocated. In addition, I know of at least one black Catholic church in the diocese--and by that I mean, made up of predominantly black parishioners.

My old parish often has African masses.

I would guess the biggest concentration of black Catholics in this country would be from Louisiana, as it seems, from my visits, like everyone is Catholic down there.

[quote name='misereremi' post='1668386' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:55 AM']My kids are half Black[/quote]
Which half?

Yes, I am a sista my brother. I'm not Catholic though. I've been trying to go to classes and the sort, but it seems that I've been getting the run around here.

But oh well, if it's in God will then I will be Catholic though.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1662039' date='Sep 23 2008, 06:49 PM']sweet, desert woman has some dope freestyles..[/quote]

Why thank you. You have some skills too.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1668429' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:23 PM']Lenny Henry?[/quote]

Never heard of him...

[quote name='dUSt' post='1668430' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:24 PM']I would guess the biggest concentration of black Catholics in this country would be from Louisiana, as it seems, from my visits, like everyone is Catholic down there.[/quote]

There are about four predominately black churches here in Louisville, and even some of the rural small towns have about black Catholics to support their own parishes. I'm guessing areas where Catholicism gained a strong foundation tended to have more Catholic slaveowners, thus more black Catholics, but I also know some at my own parish who have converted to the Church.

I hear even the Baptist churches in Louisiana have Friday fish fries :)

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1668084' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:56 PM']wow, i didnt even know there were 4 million black catholics...
i have never even seen a black catholic at mass, granted i live in ohio...
i have went to different parishes around here though....
i attended a non denominational church for a few weeks and that place was filled with blacks...
im this bald white dude so they probally thought i was in the kkk :lol_roll:[/quote]

I have a Nigerian priest; he's awesome. I also have a half-black cousin who's Catholic. I'm not sure about my black uncles and uncles in law, but I think at least one of them is Catholic, and all of them are Christian. There are some at my parish; many cultures in my parish, but they're a minority. Then again, Asians and Russians are more predominant where I live.

Edited by lilac_angel

i know there are tons of African men entering the priesthood, many there, many coming to America. rarely ever see any at Masses around here though..

oh ya, and many of them are awesome priests. Cardinal Arinze is the man.

Edited by johnnydigit

Guest Crusader

I'm new here and this is my first post on this site. I am a Catholic who is Black. In my home town of Houston, there is a large concentration of Catholics who are Black. There are about 18 predominantly Black Catholic parishes in the Diocese. Not sure of the overall population because not only are they at the predominantly Black parishes, but also attend mulit-cultural parishes.

BTW, the title is not grammatically correct. :unsure:

[quote name='Crusader' post='1671547' date='Oct 6 2008, 12:37 PM']I'm new here and this is my first post on this site. I am a Catholic who is Black. In my home town of Houston, there is a large concentration of Catholics who are Black. There are about 18 predominantly Black Catholic parishes in the Diocese. Not sure of the overall population because not only are they at the predominantly Black parishes, but also attend mulit-cultural parishes.

BTW, the title is not grammatically correct. :unsure:[/quote]

Welcome to the pham!