An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peta Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

homeschoolmom

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

POSTED: 1:48 pm EDT September 23, 2008
UPDATED: 8:09 pm EDT September 23, 2008

WATERBURY, Vt. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," said a spokesperson for Ben and Jerry's.

Read PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

[url="http://www.wptz.com/news/17539127/detail.html"]http://www.wptz.com/news/17539127/detail.html[/url]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1662213' date='Sep 23 2008, 10:06 PM']PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.[/quote]

Erm ... I thought that cows udders would begin to get heavy from the weight of the milk and grow sore if they were [b]not[/b] milked ...

:ohno: What will they think of next?

I must admit, when I was first sent the link to this story, I thought it would be in the Onion. I thought it was too bizarre even for PETA... guess not.

[quote name='rachael' post='1662222' date='Sep 23 2008, 10:11 PM'][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/rac13sd/2v30q6pjpg.gif[/img][/quote]

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this too. :lol:

IcePrincessKRS

Ok, I honestly laughed out loud. I know that there are some places that have "milk banks" where moms who are over-producing can give milk to moms who can't produce enough... but I really don't think that there is any way Ben and Jerry, even if they wanted to, could get enough breastmilk to make all that ice cream. Those PETA people really are delusional.