An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peta Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

homeschoolmom

My brother John was a premmie, and my mom never made any milk (she's a triple E, but bone dry). He had to have breast milk, so they got it from wet nurses. These were women who had a license to do this, and once a day they went to the basement of the state capital in Oklahoma City to express the milk to be used for this purpose. They had to have special health certificates. That was 1949, and the rules may be different now, but I just don't see how they are going to actually be allowed to do this.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1662349' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:50 PM']My brother John was a premmie, and my mom never made any milk (she's a triple E, but bone dry). He had to have breast milk, so they got it from wet nurses. These were women who had a license to do this, and once a day they went to the basement of the state capital in Oklahoma City to express the milk to be used for this purpose. They had to have special health certificates. That was 1949, and the rules may be different now, but I just don't see how they are going to actually be allowed to do this.[/quote]
Well, I'm pretty sure that B and J have no intentions of doing it.

Archaeology cat

This has got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've heard.

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1662224' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:12 AM']Erm ... I thought that cows udders would begin to get heavy from the weight of the milk and grow sore if they were [b]not[/b] milked ...

:ohno: What will they think of next?[/quote]
Yeah, I thought that was the case, too.

It is the case, some cows even start squirting before you put a milker on. A dairy cow produces more than enough milk for her calf and humans.

Somehow peta beleives that dairy farmers starve the little calves or something.

the lords sheep

Raising herds of mothers.... :lol_roll:

It's so ridiculous. It would be really raising animals to the level of human beings and lowering human mothers to the level of common animals.

Eww.... and I just imagined the label on the side of my Phish Food ice cream
[size=3][b][color="#9932CC"]"MADE WITH REAL BREAST MILK!!!" [/color][/b][/size]

ick!!

I agree that's a silly campaign although I think it's just a way to get attention to the issue rather than a real suggestion. I'm actually sort of involved with PETA though I am not an official member yet. I think it was probably trying to make people draw a comparison and think about where there milk comes from. But yeah, goofy way of doing it. -Katie

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1662224' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:12 PM']Erm ... I thought that cows udders would begin to get heavy from the weight of the milk and grow sore if they were [b]not[/b] milked ...

:ohno: What will they think of next?[/quote]

I don't think the issue is so much using milk in general as it is the inhumane conditions of factory farming. I don't drink milk for that reason but I don't have a problem with the concept in and of itself, like if I had a little cow that I took care of myself I'd def drink the milk. And actually that would be kind of fun. :) Katie