An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peta Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

homeschoolmom

I promise you that milking cows isn't fun. They like to purposely move to knock over the bucket, and if they can step on you, or hit you with some excrement, they will. One of my sisters in law worked in one of those big dairies for about 6 months. The cows loved to shove her against the stalls when she was putting on the equipment. She takes in pre-schoolers now instead. She says a dozen kids running around terrorizing her is easier than one cow any day. She gets lots less bruises.

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1662534' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:48 AM']As for a name I would call it

"I can't beleive it's not udder"[/quote]
:rolling:

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1662549' date='Sep 24 2008, 02:15 PM']I don't think the issue is so much using milk in general as it is the inhumane conditions of factory farming. I don't drink milk for that reason but I don't have a problem with the concept in and of itself, like if I had a little cow that I took care of myself I'd def drink the milk. And actually that would be kind of fun. :) Katie[/quote]

No one LIKES factory farming but no one wants to pay more for milk from family farms. You can buy milk directly from a family farm you know and then you can feel secure in knowing that the cows were properly cared for...... There. Problem solved.

And I gotta tell you after the 20 years on the dairy farm. Milking cows is not fun!
It is hot, smelly work and yes like CatherineM said they do like to push you around and deficate on you. My mother got her arm broken a few years ago by a charging cow, and I am sure that everyone in the family has had untreated broken toes from being stepped on, and My dad has had at least two black eyes from being kicked in the face.

You also get to deal with proper nutrition, mastitis, milk fever, hairy warts, twisted stomach, hardware, stepped on teats (yes they step on thier own teats) breach births and a variety of other fun things. Then there is treating the scours and the pnuemonia and the ringworm outbreaks that are inevitable. If you are a really, really good farmer you do not lose too many cows.

Add on this that dairy farms being independent operations do not provide health insurance or vacations..... so yes you have to milk every single day and if you don't... your cows dry up and so does your income. And since the job is so undesirable trying to find someone to milk for you is nearly impossible.

Most PETA members I know are so completely out of touch with actual day to day farm life that them boycotting this is laughable. Most farmers, factory or not really work hard to keep their cows clean and healthy, because the loss of a cow is a huge financial loss. Ours get the best nutrition possible, imediate medical care when needed and excercise. And they only have to stand still for a few minutes, like 5 minutes, for the milking. (yes it is that fast) Beating and mistreating cows makes them mean, cranky and hard to deal with. If you mistreat a cow you can not expect to milk it. There is no getting around it. Underfeeding means lower milk production, beating means you get a cow that you literally can not milk because she will be so mean and nasty... and won't let her milk down. And letting any disease run free means you can lose you whole herd.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1662226' date='Sep 23 2008, 10:14 PM']I must admit, when I was first sent the link to this story, I thought it would be in the Onion. I thought it was too bizarre even for PETA... guess not.[/quote]

hahah, i was thinking the same thing. that this article should come with a warning: NO, REALLY.. THIS ISNT FROM THE ONION

ps: sooo, along the same arguement should we eat human steak instead of delicious cow steak? i mean, if milking a cow is so "damaging" clearly out-right killing it is a no-no to PETA...

Edited by Sirklawd

[quote name='Brigid' post='1662352' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:53 AM']so... where do they propose all this human milk is to COME from?

I mean, will they start raising herds of mothers...?

:rolleyes:[/quote]

[url="http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html"]http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscar...es/milkmen.html[/url]
(don't click on the video)

[url="http://malebreastfeeding.net/""]http://malebreastfeeding.net/"[/url]]http://malebreastfeeding.net
:unsure:

Edited by Balthazor

[quote name='Sirklawd' post='1662691' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:22 PM']ps: sooo, along the same arguement should we eat human steak instead of delicious cow steak? i mean, if milking a cow is so "damaging" clearly out-right killing it is a no-no to PETA...[/quote]

You must not know much about PETA. I am pretty sure this was a joke on their part to draw attention to factory farming. Although..I think B&J make it a point to use cows treated nicely..I remember reading something on a carton of strawberry cheesecake icecream once..but I could be wrong. PETA would never suggest humans eat human steak instead of cow steak. They say "no steak"... they want you to stick to veggies, fruits, nuts, grains... etc. But, as far as I know, tons of mice and other small animals are killed in the harvesting process of harvesting food.. so yeah. I will stick to my steak. :P

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1662766' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:19 PM']You must not know much about PETA. I am pretty sure this was a joke on their part to draw attention to factory farming. Although..I think B&J make it a point to use cows treated nicely..I remember reading something on a carton of strawberry cheesecake icecream once..but I could be wrong. PETA would never suggest humans eat human steak instead of cow steak. They say "no steak"... they want you to stick to veggies, fruits, nuts, grains... etc. But, as far as I know, tons of mice and other small animals are killed in the harvesting process of harvesting food.. so yeah. I will stick to my steak. :P[/quote]

Yeah I think you're definitely right about the joke part, kind of like "A Modest Proposal" type of thing. Oh about B&J, I don't necessarily think they treated their cows nicely b/c who knows who their suppliers are, but they always said they didn't use bovine growth hormone :) Katie

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1662678' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:57 PM']No one LIKES factory farming but no one wants to pay more for milk from family farms. You can buy milk directly from a family farm you know and then you can feel secure in knowing that the cows were properly cared for...... There. Problem solved.

And I gotta tell you after the 20 years on the dairy farm. Milking cows is not fun!
It is hot, smelly work and yes like CatherineM said they do like to push you around and deficate on you. My mother got her arm broken a few years ago by a charging cow, and I am sure that everyone in the family has had untreated broken toes from being stepped on, and My dad has had at least two black eyes from being kicked in the face.

You also get to deal with proper nutrition, mastitis, milk fever, hairy warts, twisted stomach, hardware, stepped on teats (yes they step on thier own teats) breach births and a variety of other fun things. Then there is treating the scours and the pnuemonia and the ringworm outbreaks that are inevitable. If you are a really, really good farmer you do not lose too many cows.

Add on this that dairy farms being independent operations do not provide health insurance or vacations..... so yes you have to milk every single day and if you don't... your cows dry up and so does your income. And since the job is so undesirable trying to find someone to milk for you is nearly impossible.

Most PETA members I know are so completely out of touch with actual day to day farm life that them boycotting this is laughable. Most farmers, factory or not really work hard to keep their cows clean and healthy, because the loss of a cow is a huge financial loss. Ours get the best nutrition possible, imediate medical care when needed and excercise. And they only have to stand still for a few minutes, like 5 minutes, for the milking. (yes it is that fast) Beating and mistreating cows makes them mean, cranky and hard to deal with. If you mistreat a cow you can not expect to milk it. There is no getting around it. Underfeeding means lower milk production, beating means you get a cow that you literally can not milk because she will be so mean and nasty... and won't let her milk down. And letting any disease run free means you can lose you whole herd.[/quote]
I totally have no problem at all with family farms. It's just that milk is in SO many things in so many forms (lactose in my hand lotion, ew!) that it's just easier to avoid alltogether for me b/c it would be pretty unlikely that milk in most brand name stuff wasn't from a factory farm. I don't think most factory farmers necessarily intentionally mistreat the cows as in beat them and what not (though I do think there is an issue with transportation and improper use of cattle prods in a lot of cases when dairy cows are sold for meat b/c there are USDA regulations that state that cows who are "down" can't be sold as USDA grade meat so they pretty much force them up which is nasty business) , I just think they are completely expolited and lack freedoms necessary for them to live as naturally as possible, such as freedom of movement. I have a friend that doesn't want to be vegan but is I gues an "ethical omnivore" and sticks to buying meat, dairy etc from Farmer's Markets and I think that's awesome. I think anything we can do to ditch factory farming, be it big or small, is cool. I have no problem whatsoever with small, family owned farms, who for the most part I think treat their animals well, its' just that, unfortunately most milk is factory farm produced :( -Katie

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1662359' date='Sep 23 2008, 10:55 PM']Apparently.

How about "Booberry and Cream"?[/quote]

:lol_pound:

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1662678' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:57 AM']No one LIKES factory farming but no one wants to pay more for milk from family farms. You can buy milk directly from a family farm you know and then you can feel secure in knowing that the cows were properly cared for...... There. Problem solved.

Most PETA members I know are so completely out of touch with actual day to day farm life that them boycotting this is laughable. Most farmers, factory or not really work hard to keep their cows clean and healthy, because the loss of a cow is a huge financial loss. Ours get the best nutrition possible, imediate medical care when needed and excercise. And they only have to stand still for a few minutes, like 5 minutes, for the milking. (yes it is that fast) Beating and mistreating cows makes them mean, cranky and hard to deal with. If you mistreat a cow you can not expect to milk it. There is no getting around it. Underfeeding means lower milk production, beating means you get a cow that you literally can not milk because she will be so mean and nasty... and won't let her milk down. And letting any disease run free means you can lose you whole herd.[/quote]

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1663047' date='Sep 24 2008, 05:42 PM']I totally have no problem at all with family farms. It's just that milk is in SO many things in so many forms (lactose in my hand lotion, ew!) that it's just easier to avoid alltogether for me b/c it would be pretty unlikely that milk in most brand name stuff wasn't from a factory farm. I don't think most factory farmers necessarily intentionally mistreat the cows as in beat them and what not (though I do think there is an issue with transportation and improper use of cattle prods in a lot of cases when dairy cows are sold for meat b/c there are USDA regulations that state that cows who are "down" can't be sold as USDA grade meat so they pretty much force them up which is nasty business) , I just think they are completely expolited and lack freedoms necessary for them to live as naturally as possible, such as freedom of movement. I have a friend that doesn't want to be vegan but is I gues an "ethical omnivore" and sticks to buying meat, dairy etc from Farmer's Markets and I think that's awesome. I think anything we can do to ditch factory farming, be it big or small, is cool. I have no problem whatsoever with small, family owned farms, who for the most part I think treat their animals well, its' just that, unfortunately most milk is factory farm produced :( -Katie[/quote]

uuumm... most milk come from independent contractors like Balthy is talking about. ...

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1663089' date='Sep 24 2008, 09:18 PM']:lol_pound:

uuumm... most milk come from independent contractors like Balthy is talking about. ...[/quote]
I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything but unfortunately most of milk and dairy you buy in a regular grocery store does come from factory farms-it's typical big business, more money in it.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming#Scale"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming#Scale[/url]

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1662534' date='Sep 24 2008, 04:48 AM']As for a name I would call it

"I can't beleive it's not udder"[/quote]:hehehe:

[quote name='Tony' post='1663399' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:12 AM']I feel like eating a steak in honor of this story[/quote]

So do I... before tomorrow... because then it will be Friday... which means no meat.