An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mccain Suspends Campaign, Calls On Obama To Do The Same

T-Bone _

kenrockthefirst

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/business/26bush.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin"]Lawmakers Agree on Outline of Bailout[/url]
Wow! Barely 24 hours after he announced he was suspending his campaign to work on a solution to the current financial crisis, John McCain got it sorted. Is there anything he can't do? :saint:

KnightofChrist

I see no harm in delaying the campaign till Monday, and both Senators do their actual jobs and fix the mess both parties put us in, thats much better I think than a bunch of talk.

If the economy is really in as much crisis as both parties say it is it is only right both senators put off bashing each other and do their jobs and fix this mess. Instead of a bunch of talk that could just wait till Monday.

KnightofChrist

Anyway I think it is a plus for McCain that he is willing to cease the blah blah and take real action and do his job like a President should.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1663680' date='Sep 25 2008, 03:10 PM']I see no harm in delaying the campaign till Monday, and both Senators do their actual jobs and fix the mess both parties put us in, thats much better I think than a bunch of talk.

If the economy is really in as much crisis as both parties say it is it is only right both senators put off bashing each other and do their jobs and fix this mess. Instead of a bunch of talk that could just wait till Monday.[/quote]
McCain is peddling "country first" propaganda. His party has been the first to claim that the economy is "strong" and not in recession. And then BOOM there is goes, and now he's trying to look like the good guy by suspending his campaign to "address" the issue... the issue he has been ignoring since this mess started. Amazing.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1663741' date='Sep 25 2008, 05:38 PM']McCain is peddling "country first" propaganda. His party has been the first to claim that the economy is "strong" and not in recession. And then BOOM there is goes, and now he's trying to look like the good guy by suspending his campaign to "address" the issue... the issue he has been ignoring since this mess started. Amazing.[/quote]

Both parties have, yes. Still see nothing wrong with putting off the blah blah for a day or two and actually do their jobs, that again yes indeed should have been done way before now.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1663684' date='Sep 25 2008, 05:13 PM']Anyway I think it is a plus for McCain that he is willing to cease the blah blah and take real action and do his job like a President should.[/quote]

That's what he wants you to think.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1663741' date='Sep 25 2008, 06:38 PM']McCain is peddling "country first" propaganda. His party has been the first to claim that the economy is "strong" and not in recession. And then BOOM there is goes, and now he's trying to look like the good guy by suspending his campaign to "address" the issue... the issue he has been ignoring since this mess started. Amazing.[/quote]

Amazingly, I agree. Except for your choice of the word "propaganda". He's just being a politician. They all smell of elderberries.

Honestly I think this whole think makes McCain look really bad, or rather, he makes himself look really bad. There is no real reason to postpone the debate... I think he's just not prepared for it. According to either the NY Times or USA Today (I read too many papers, can't remember which one it was in), Obama's been "holed up" (their words) with his advisors preparing for the debate while McCain's meeting to prepare for the debate was interrupted by his decision to suspend his campaign. I do think he is just unprepared and is looking for a way out. He looks really bad.

Basically I think whoever wins this election we're screwed for the next 8 years. Yes, I think they will win the next one, too. Unless a miracle happens.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1663749' date='Sep 25 2008, 06:45 PM']Both parties have, yes. Still see nothing wrong with putting off the blah blah for a day or two and actually do their jobs, that again yes indeed should have been done way before now.[/quote]

Except that the bill is basically done and they will definitely not be working on it still at 9:00 PM tomorrow night. McCain's trying to cop out, that's all.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1663775' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:13 PM']Except that the bill is basically done and they will definitely not be working on it still at 9:00 PM tomorrow night. McCain's trying to cop out, that's all.[/quote]

According to what I've seen there is no done deal, there is no deal at present. There WAS news that said otherwise but that is not the case now.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1663775' date='Sep 25 2008, 06:13 PM']McCain's trying to cop out, that's all.[/quote]

To mirror you, that is what the NYT and USA today want you to think.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1663780' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:22 PM']To mirror you, that is what the NYT and USA today want you to think.[/quote]

I read the NY Times and the USA Today for news only, I'm usually pretty good at seeing past all the liberal propoganda, thank you very much. And I formed my opinion about McCain before I read the papers about this issue... I heard on Fox News that McCAin was suspending his campaign, etc., and they said nothing about him being unprepared. I figured that out on my own. Really it's not that hard to see. I mentioned the fact that McCain wanted to postpone the debate to my priest without inserting my own opinion and even he said "Well what that says to me is he's not as prepared as he'd like to be". It's very obvious. *shrug* but suit yourself.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1663784' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:27 PM']I read the NY Times and the USA Today for news only, I'm usually pretty good at seeing past all the liberal propoganda, thank you very much. And I formed my opinion about McCain before I read the papers about this issue... I heard on Fox News that McCAin was suspending his campaign, etc., and they said nothing about him being unprepared. I figured that out on my own. Really it's not that hard to see. I mentioned the fact that McCain wanted to postpone the debate to my priest without inserting my own opinion and even he said "Well what that says to me is he's not as prepared as he'd like to be". It's very obvious. *shrug* but suit yourself.[/quote]

Well its not obvious because your guessing. A possibility? Yes. McCain's aids no doubt warned him this choice would be likely bad for his politics, and people would believe as you have, those same kind aids also no doubt said something similar when McCain came out in full support of the surge in Iraq. Point is McCain does have a good history putting what he thinks is right over politics even over his own party and even if it endangers him politically.

Again maybe your right, but this does seem to be in line with with McCain's history.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1663795' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:48 PM']Well its not obvious because your guessing. A possibility? Yes. McCain's aids no doubt warned him this choice would be likely bad for his politics, and people would believe as you have, those same kind aids also no doubt said something similar when McCain came out in full support of the surge in Iraq.[b] Point is McCain does have a good history putting what he thinks is right over politics even over his own party and even if it endangers him politically. [/b]

Again maybe your right, but this does seem to be in line with with McCain's history.[/quote]

He used to have a good history. His selection of Palin as his runningmate shows that he's just trying to win the election. If he didn't give a croutons about being endangered politically he would have chosen someone with whom he agrees. I don't think he's a "maverick", at least not anymore. Maybe he was at one time. I think that his failure in the 2000 election made him realize that in order to win national elections in the Republican party, you have to appear to go by the party line, at least on most major issues.

I'm voting for Palin, not for McCain. I don't trust him with anything. I also don't think Palin's overly qualified for anything, but at least she holds the same views I do.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1663806' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:07 PM']He used to have a good history. His selection of Palin as his runningmate shows that he's just trying to win the election. If he didn't give a croutons about being endangered politically he would have chosen someone with whom he agrees. I don't think he's a "maverick", at least not anymore. Maybe he was at one time. I think that his failure in the 2000 election made him realize that in order to win national elections in the Republican party, you have to appear to go by the party line, at least on most major issues.

I'm voting for Palin, not for McCain. I don't trust him with anything. I also don't think Palin's overly qualified for anything, but at least she holds the same views I do.[/quote]

You may have your opinion but McCain still has a long history of doing things like suspending his campaign, even after 2000.

Edited by KnightofChrist

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1663684' date='Sep 25 2008, 05:13 PM']Anyway I think it is a plus for McCain that he is willing to cease the blah blah and take real action and do his job like a President should.[/quote]
So, what exactly has good Sir John done to fix this problem?

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/us/politics/26campaign.html?hp"]McCain Leaps Into a Thicket[/url]

[i]At the bipartisan White House meeting that Mr. McCain had called for a day earlier, he sat silently for more than 40 minutes, more observer than leader, and then offered only a vague sense of where he stood, said people in the meeting.[/i]

Can you say, photo op?