An Old School Catholic Message Board

Labruzzo's Plan Would Pay Poor Women To Be Sterilized

DiscerningSoul

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Didacus' post='1664316' date='Sep 26 2008, 03:07 PM']This is very similar to what California was doing in the 1920s!

by the 1930s some high ranking professionals at the time of this practice lamented that the Germans were 'beating them at their own game' because Americans envied German success in the implementation of their basic ideas. In california, they lamented also the fact the sterilizations at the time needed to be voluntary - an attempt was made for forced sterilization to make legislation.

Actually, in the nuremburg trials, many high ranking Nazi officials would quote Americans experts IN THEIR DEFENSE, to justify their actions and decisions.

This is bad...

Very very bad...

Very very very bad...

One more giant step down the slope, and God have mercy 'cause we'll be repeating history all over again.[/quote]

Ah it's not so bad:

I prefer a straight up fight to all this sneaking around.

You all pretty much mentioned this but this is exactly what Margaret Sanger had in mind.

Only she was also going to throw them in labor camps. Blacks, Irish, Catholics, Poor, Ignorant, Uneducated, Mentally Ill...they'd all have this done. It is sick, twisted and totally wrong.

I don't understand why women right groups are not on this thing? Why isn't NOW raising an outcry? Isn't this a violation of a woman's right to choose? Isn't this something that a woman must forfeit her reproductive rights over?

But...I bet you all any money that those groups will support this cause because the poor women do not "realize" the gravity of the situation. Or they will persuade the women into the sterilization by pulling the wool over their eyes.

I put nothing past PP and the culture of death. Absolutely nothing.

Edited by picchick

Don John of Austria

[quote name='picchick' post='1664384' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:50 PM']You all pretty much mentioned this but this is exactly what Margaret Sanger had in mind.

Only she was also going to throw them in labor camps. Blacks, Irish, Catholics, Poor, Ignorant, Uneducated, Mentally Ill...they'd all have this done. It is sick, twisted and totally wrong.

I don't understand why women right groups are not on this thing? Why isn't NOW raising an outcry? Isn't this a violation of a woman's right to choose? Isn't this something that a woman must forfeit her reproductive rights over?

But...I bet you all any money that those groups will support this cause because the poor women do not "realize" the gravity of the situation. Or they will persuade the women into the sterilization by pulling the wool over their eyes.

I put nothing past PP and the culture of death. Absolutely nothing.[/quote]

No, no becuase they are "choosing" to be sterilized.

Edited by Don John of Austria

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1664385' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:52 PM']No, no becua they are "choosing" to be sterilized.[/quote]

Right.... It really angers me. If America would just take a step back and examine this stuff a little deeper than all the fruity sweet toppings that PP puts out, they would see how inconsistent and odd (at the very least) this all is. They choose to close their eyes and allow to be led around like lemmings.

Edited by picchick

Anything from the Archbishop of New Orleans about this? It's a bit concerning that 67% of viewers in one of the countries most "Catholic" regions are in favor of this. Not surprising, of course, but concerning.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1664399' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:08 PM']Anything from the Archbishop of New Orleans about this? It's a bit concerning that 67% of viewers in one of the countries most "Catholic" regions are in favor of this. Not surprising, of course, but concerning.[/quote]

I haven't heard anything yet from the Archbishop, but I know of him and know him to be orthodox from what I know of him. And it's not one of the countries most "Catholic" regions. Most of the "Catholics" there are dwindling in numbers greatly to Evangelical churches. You must also take into account that the majority of these people are poorly catechized given the time period in which they were raised or are being raised. Also many of these people are desperate for help given the situations down there and throughout the state. This is being viewed by them as a means to help people in a bad situation. I've seen first hand what these people live in and it's not pretty. New Orleans has tent cities up all over the place and not just because of Hurricane damage. It's a very sad existence for them and now someone is giving them what seems to be a little hope, though completely the wrong type of hope. What this person has not taken into account that sterilization could also cause a great rise in STDs which are rampant enough as they are. Sadly, southern Louisiana is not what it once was.

From Archbishop of New Orleans

Archbishop Alfred Hughes on Thursday denounced a Metairie lawmaker's proposal to pay poor people to undergo sterilization as "an egregious affront to those targeted and blatantly anti-life."

"Our lawmakers would do better to focus on policies that promote education and achievement to counteract poverty and the bigotry of low expectations, " Hughes said in a statement.

Hughes spoke out in response to a proposal by state Rep. John Labruzzo, R-Metairie, to combat poverty by offering poor women and men $1,000 to undergo reproductive sterilization and vasectomies. In addition, the lawmaker said he is considering whether to propose tax incentives for college-educated people to have more children.

Hughes appears to be the first major local clergyman to take a public stand on the issue, which Labruzzo broached Tuesday. Archdiocesan spokeswoman Sarah Comiskey said the Catholic Church would oppose Labruzzo's plan in Baton Rouge if he turns it into legislation.

Hughes based his opposition on two elements of Labruzzo's proposal: the technique of direct sterilization and the underlying purpose of manipulating the birth rate to reduce certain populations as a matter of public policy.

Catholic teaching holds that tubal ligation and vasectomy are wrong, because they rob sexuality of one of its main purposes, the transmission of life.

More broadly, the plan "would also constitute a form of eugenics that the church and this country have always condemned, " Hughes said.

[url="http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/hughes_sterilizing_the_poor_bl.html"]http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09...he_poor_bl.html[/url]

"
The Catholic Church has consistently taught that direct sterilization is seriously wrong ... The recent proposal of Rep. LaBruzzo not only would make sterilization our public policy and require tax payers to pay for it, but would also constitute a form of eugenics that the Church and this country have always condemned as an egregious affront to those targeted and blatantly anti-life."

[url="http://www.daylife.com/article/0gktgo3bQicX3"]http://www.daylife.com/article/0gktgo3bQicX3[/url]

A day after state Rep. John LaBruzzo, R-Metairie, made a buzz in the New Orleans area by proposing $1,000 for woman on welfare to have their Fallopian tubes tied, Archbishop Alfred Hughes blasted the idea, calling it “wrong” and against the ideals of the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church, according to Hughes, cannot support LaBruzzo’s proposal, which among other things called for the voluntary sterilization of women who are on welfare, offering them a $1,000 incentive to have the procedure.

LaBruzzo said that he was studying the idea because constituents in his district were tired of paying women who cannot support their families and continue to have children.

“The Catholic Church has consistently taught that direct sterilization is seriously wrong,” said Archbishop Hughes in a statement. “The recent proposal of Rep. LaBruzzo not only would make sterilization our public policy and require tax payers to pay for it, but would also constitute a form of eugenics that the Church and this country have always condemned as an egregious affront to those targeted and blatantly anti-life.”

While LaBruzzo said that his office was flooded with phone calls and emails, many in support, “Our lawmakers,” said Hughes, “would do better to focus on policies that promote education and achievement to counteract poverty and the bigotry of low expectations.”

The ACLU of Louisiana also panned LaBruzzo’s idea, echoing Hughes' stance. “The is solution to figure out what they (poor people) need, so they can improve their circumstances, not by the government dictating or influencing who should and who should not have children,” said Majorie Esman of the organization.

[url="http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl092508mlbishop.b051e50c.html"]http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/ww...p.b051e50c.html[/url]

[quote name='StColette' post='1664421' date='Sep 26 2008, 03:27 PM']this country have always condemned, " Hughes said.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
that hasn't always been true - especially overseas. :ohno:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1664434' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:30 PM']+J.M.J.+
that hasn't always been true - especially overseas. :ohno:[/quote]

Given the time during which Archbishop Hughes grew up I would say it was true then.

Don John of Austria

Can we pay the members of NOW, Planned Parenthood, etc 4,000 dollars to be sterilized? Then in 30 or 40 years this garbage would all be over.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1664448' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:37 PM']Can we pay the members of NOW, Planned Parenthood, etc 4,000 dollars to be sterilized? Then in 30 or 40 years this garbage would all be over.[/quote]

They wouldn't choose to do so ;)

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1664448' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:37 PM']Can we pay the members of NOW, Planned Parenthood, etc 4,000 dollars to be sterilized? Then in 30 or 40 years this garbage would all be over.[/quote]

The immoral will always be amongst us; or so the saints tell us.

This is all just like Vlad the Impaller; you know, that fun guy called 'Dracula' as in son of Dracul?
Once Vlad wanted to rid his kingdom of the poor, so he gathered them all for a feast in one of his castles. during the feast he set the castle on fire and killed them all! Yet, tried as he did, he could never be rid of all the poor.

Poverty is a question of distribution of ressources, not of quantity of people living in a nation.

Besides, the poor will always be with us - the Lord Himself told us that one.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Didacus' post='1666150' date='Sep 29 2008, 08:00 AM']The immoral will always be amongst us; or so the saints tell us.

This is all just like Vlad the Impaller; you know, that fun guy called 'Dracula' as in son of Dracul?
Once Vlad wanted to rid his kingdom of the poor, so he gathered them all for a feast in one of his castles. during the feast he set the castle on fire and killed them all! Yet, tried as he did, he could never be rid of all the poor.

Poverty is a question of distribution of ressources, not of quantity of people living in a nation.

Besides, the poor will always be with us - the Lord Himself told us that one.[/quote]

Immoral of course they will always be amongst us---- we are all sinners, but these kinds of people have not always been amongst us.... and we should no put up with them when they are.

I will have to check on the story about Vlad..... that really doesn't sound like him. I mena he was mean enough for htat, I just can't see him doing that to the poor. Nobles who ticked him off, sure, poor people, not his style. But it's possible, still everybody picks on Vlad.

There is something so invasive about talking about sterilizing people. When my husband was first diagnosed with schizophrenia, one of his aunts told him to get sterilized. His mom, great-grandmother, and several cousins also have/had the disease. I think that upset him more than anything because he mentions it the most. Alberta just paid the last of the settlements for people who were sterilized in homes decades ago.