An Old School Catholic Message Board

"the Hope Of The Promise: An Exploration Of God’s Promise To Isra

Madame Vengier

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1667519' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:13 AM']Sounds like it was really interesting! I'd love to hear more, really. I was the lone Christian in the Hillel group on campus, when I was taking Hebrew, and I loved learning about some of the festivals. Sukkoth is fun. :)[/quote]

One of things that was discussed at the conference, amongst the panelists, was whether it was possible for Catholic Jews (and this is what they consider themselves--or Hebrew Catholics) could continue celebrating some of the Jewish feasts and traditions, and further, whether all Catholics could do so as well as a means of recapturing our Jewish origins. The entire panel wholeheartedly agreed that yes, indeed, this could be done--any customs and traditions from one's original culture are allowed so long as they do not conflict with Church teaching. Some of the panelists mentioned a few feasts and traditions that we could participate in such as the Sedar meal at Good Friday and Hannukah. In fact, one of the speakers said their parish does in fact celebrate Hannukah. I believe we could also include Yom Kippur and Purim in that list.

Oh yes, and Sukkoth!! Have you seen the Israeli movie 'Ushpuzin'? It's sooooooooo awesome. If you love Sukkoth, rent that movie. You will just love it.

Edited by Madame Vengier

In Catholic school in 5th grade we celebrated all the Jewish holidays that year. I think I still have my dreidel somewhere. We have a Jewish man in RCIA this year. I was looking forward to what kind of questions he was going to ask, but I'm not teaching this year.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1667990' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:03 PM']In Catholic school in 5th grade we celebrated all the Jewish holidays that year. I think I still have my dreidel somewhere. We have a Jewish man in RCIA this year. I was looking forward to what kind of questions he was going to ask, but I'm not teaching this year.[/quote]

Perhaps the Jewish RCIA attendee would benefit from some info from this group:

[url="http://hebrewcatholic.org/"]http://hebrewcatholic.org/[/url]

Mazel Tov!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1667987' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:56 AM']Oh yes, and Sukkoth!! Have you seen the Israeli movie 'Ushpuzin'? It's sooooooooo awesome. If you love Sukkoth, rent that movie. You will just love it.[/quote]
I'll have to look it up. Sukkoth was the one holiday I got to celebrate, and the Rabbi was very cool at explaining everything. I didn't sleep out in the sukkah, because it was cold. I did help build it, though. :))

And in case anyone is wondering Sukkoth is from sundown 13 October - nightfall 20 October this year. :)

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1668248' date='Oct 2 2008, 03:12 AM']I'll have to look it up. Sukkoth was the one holiday I got to celebrate, and the Rabbi was very cool at explaining everything. I didn't sleep out in the sukkah, because it was cold. I did help build it, though. :))

And in case anyone is wondering Sukkoth is from sundown 13 October - nightfall 20 October this year. :)[/quote]

TRUST me on this, okay? You GOTTA get that movie. Then, message me and tell me what you thought. If you use Netflix, it's def on there. But it may also be in the foreign film section of your local video rental place.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1668296' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:39 PM']TRUST me on this, okay? You GOTTA get that movie. Then, message me and tell me what you thought. If you use Netflix, it's def on there. But it may also be in the foreign film section of your local video rental place.[/quote]
I will def try to find it. :) I don't have Netflix anymore, but I'm sure someplace around here should have it.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1667050' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:48 PM']My fave was Roy Schoeman's talk. But I'm most looking forward to Dr. Paul Schenck's talk (missed it; have CD). I also found Bill Doino's talk on Pius XII very enlightening. I am so happy with all the great materials coming out in defense of Pius XII and bringing to light all the things he did to save the Jews of Rome. Seems like at least every year some new materials come out. My fave is 'The Myth of Hitler's Pope' written by a Rabbi.[/quote]
I’ve got Roy’s CD and DVD- haven’t got his book yet, but planning to. Ash Wednesday and I went to a talk of his a few months ago here in England. It was an eye-opener for me. Roy made very clear and important points about praying for the conversion of the Jews and gave out postcards with the prayer of St Paul. :)

I loved hearing the conversion stories, especially the story of the Lemann twins’ conversion- how they became :priest: :priest: I haven't read 'the Myth of Hitler's Pope' but Roy covered a lot in his talk, which was awesome. I was told the controversy was delaying Pope Pius XII's beatification, although I don’t know if that’s true.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1667119' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:24 PM']Did you read 'Salvation is From the Jews'???[/quote]

not yet...i bought it along with Honey from the Rock

Madame Vengier

[quote name='misereremi' post='1668361' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:29 AM']I’ve got Roy’s CD and DVD- haven’t got his book yet, but planning to. Ash Wednesday and I went to a talk of his a few months ago here in England. It was an eye-opener for me. Roy made very clear and important points about praying for the conversion of the Jews and gave out postcards with the prayer of St Paul. :)

I loved hearing the conversion stories, especially the story of the Lemann twins’ conversion- how they became :priest: :priest: I haven't read 'the Myth of Hitler's Pope' but Roy covered a lot in his talk, which was awesome. I was told the controversy was delaying Pope Pius XII's beatification, although I don’t know if that’s true.[/quote]

Yes, that part about Pius XII's beatification is true. But the fruit of all the lies is that more and more and more materials are coming out attesting not only to his great efforts on behalf of the Jews of Rome but also to his personal sanctity.

I have one of Roy's talks in England on my iTunes....I wonder if it's the same one you attended, LOL. I don't know the date of it and probably he's been there a few times.