An Old School Catholic Message Board

Free Sarah Palin

BG45

Basically Campbell Brown's view on why she wants the sexist treatment of Sarah Palin by the McCain campaign to end. If she's going to play with the boys, then she needs to be treated equally.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNkloIFTQ0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNkloIFTQ0[/url] The video.

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/24/campbell.brown.palin/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/24/cam...alin/index.html[/url] Transcript.

[quote]Frankly I have had it, and I know a lot of other women out there who are with me on this. I have had enough of the sexist treatment of Sarah Palin. It has to end.

She was in New York on Tuesday meeting with world leaders at the U.N. And what did the McCain campaign do?

They tried to ban reporters from covering those meetings. And they did ban reporters from asking Gov. Palin any questions.

I call upon the McCain campaign to stop treating Sarah Palin like she is a delicate flower who will wilt at any moment.

This woman is from Alaska for crying out loud. She is strong, she is tough, she is confident. And you claim she is ready to be one heartbeat away from the presidency. If that is the case, then end this chauvinistic treatment of her now. Allow her to show her stuff.

Allow her to face down those pesky reporters just like Barack Obama did today, just like John McCain did today. Just like Joe Biden has done on numerous occasions. Let her have a real news conference with real questions.

By treating Sarah Palin differently from other candidates in this race, you are not showing her the respect she deserves.

Free Sarah Palin.

Free her from the chauvinistic chains you are binding her with.

Sexism in this campaign must come to an end. Sarah Palin has as much a right to be a real candidate in this race as the men do.

So let her act like one.[/quote]

Thoughts? I've got to mostly agree, because access to Sarah Palin is about as difficult as access to Johnsonville brat Cheney. She never seems to appear without her running mate or a minder of some sort, she almost never gets to do interviews alone, nor has she done a press conference alone to date.

The most recent example of this treatment of her is the United Nations, where even Fox News was threatening a boycott because the McCain campaign wanted all the news agencies to send cameras and nothing else; no reporters, no editors, no producers, oh and no print journalists. The media caved when a CNN rep was allowed to go in [b]briefly[/b].

I've been in two male-dominated career fields. In forestry, they basically treated women as if they didn't belong, and heaped stuff on us, until we could prove that we could do the work and pull our own weight. At that point, I was treated like one of the boys.

In law, they kind of did the same thing. You had to practically prove you could outdo the guys, before being excepted. The difference was that in law, they never treated you like one of the guys, they accepted you when you proved yourself, but they accepted you as a [i][/i]female[i][/i] attorney. Law, at least in Oklahoma, is certainly run by the "good ole boy" network. The only women back then who broke in a judges, DA's, or partners in large law firms were of the old war horse variety.

I think if McCain/Palin gets in, she will always be seen as a female VP, not a VP who just happens to be a female.

I've got to agree with all of that, but the last sentence there especially for any minority. A professor once put it this way, "I want to be seen as a friend and an intellectual who just happens to be black, not as the token black professor."

Edit: Oh look f.ilter edits Cheney's first name.

Edited by BG45

[quote]This woman is from Alaska for crying out loud. She is strong, she is tough, she is confident.[/quote]

And!!

[size=7][font="Garamond"][color="#48D1CC"][b]SHE A HOCKEY-MOM![/color][/font][/size][/b]

Come on, get with the program people!

Edited by Didacus

[quote name='BG45' post='1663462' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:07 AM']Edit: Oh look f.ilter edits Cheney's first name.[/quote]

:lol_pound:

I was like.. Wha?

:lol_pound:

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1663469' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:19 AM']:lol_pound:

I was like.. Wha?

:lol_pound:[/quote]

Why, if his lawyer would be around, he'd have a field day with that one! Can you say 'discrimination'?!

LOL

[quote name='Didacus' post='1663468' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:17 AM']And!!

[size=7][font="Garamond"][color="#48D1CC"][b]SHE A HOCKEY-MOM![/color][/font][/size][/b]

Come on, get with the program people![/quote]

maybe she should start to act like it... :mellow:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1663452' date='Sep 25 2008, 03:45 PM']I've been in two male-dominated career fields. In forestry, they basically treated women as if they didn't belong, and heaped stuff on us, until we could prove that we could do the work and pull our own weight. At that point, I was treated like one of the boys.[/quote]
Same with archaeology. I was the only woman out in the field most of the time, and the others often had bets as to when I would quit.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1663473' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:27 AM']maybe she should start to act like it... :mellow:[/quote]

:bigshock:

TAKE THAT BACK!

:bash:

Take that back right now!

:starwars:

:sadwalk:
(how do these guys walk without legs anyhow?)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1663477' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:38 AM']Same with archaeology. I was the only woman out in the field most of the time, and the others often had bets as to when I would quit.[/quote]

I notice not too many women are complaining about engineering?

Ah yes, engineers have always had that little special something. One of my EITs (engineers in training) is a young woman just out of school and she's doing great!

Back to you Bob...

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1663477' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:38 AM']Same with archaeology. I was the only woman out in the field most of the time, and the others often had bets as to when I would quit.[/quote]

My acceptance in the field came after my first "barber chair." When you use a chain saw, and you cut into tree that has rot inside you can't see, or a weak core because it was originally two trees that grew together, and the outside of the tree gives as you cut into it. You hear this creaking noise as the tree splits up the middle. Instead of falling away from you, predictably where you were planning for it to go, the split causes the entire top of the tree to start falling down towards your head. The call it a barber chair because the stump ends up looking like a chair with a high back on it. There's no way to predict it, and it is scary and dangerous. I thought they'd kick me out because I'd made a mistake, and I also threw my saw pretty far trying to get out of the way of the falling top. It was a 60" diameter tree, so pretty big. They figured I'd quit after that, and when I didn't, I got my suspenders.

Seems the McCain campaign has effectively taken all that positive momentum that came in Palin's wake and given it right back to Obama. What's the deal with all this secrecy and double-talk surrounding the trooper firing in Alaska? She could've been up front about it from the start, and cooperated with the existing investigation, and just let it run its course. Instead, they're calling more attention to it by trying to chance their stance and telling different stories. This is why I never jumped on the Palin bandwagon: still too much that is unknown. I'm pro-life, but not necessarily pro-Palin, and there is a difference.

[quote name='BG45' post='1663444' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:28 AM']Thoughts? I've got to mostly agree, because access to Sarah Palin is about as difficult as access to Johnsonville brat Cheney. She never seems to appear without her running mate or a minder of some sort, she almost never gets to do interviews alone, nor has she done a press conference alone to date.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
and what about the interview with Charlie Gibson? they edited and twisted her words to look idiotic, and it didn't help with good ole Charlie looking disapproving and sighing at her answers (like he wanted to roll his eyes but didn't dare). so if that's what her interviews are going to be like, why wouldn't the McCain campaign want to limit that?

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.nypost.com/seven/09252008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/dont_meet_the_press_130639.htm?page=0"]Don't Meet the Press[/url]
[quote]CNN's Campbell Brown - a working mother who was silent during the Palin motherhood smears - suddenly discovered sexism against Palin this week and blasted the McCain camp for it's "chauvinistic" coddling of Palin. But the McCainiacs didn't invent the practice of holding back candidates, and the same tactic is used to protect men all the time.

The media carp that the once-accessible McCain no longer has bull sessions on the Straight Talk Express. As Obama took the lead in the primaries, reporters began complaining they never saw him. Similar complaints are now being made about the other veep candidate, Joe Biden.

Palin's lack of availability is more extreme, but until reporters show that they want to do an objective interview with no agenda, the McCain camp is within its rights to limit access.[/quote]