An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents Abandoning Their Children

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-09-25-Left-kids_N.htm"]Article here[/url]

Between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Wednesday, three fathers walked into two hospitals in Omaha and abandoned their children. One left nine siblings, ages 1 to 17.
Other parents have also used the law to leave their children. Last week, a 13-year-old girl was left. The week before that, two boys ages 11 and 15. In all, fathers, mothers and caregivers in six families — some single parents — have bailed on 14 kids, including seven teens, since the law took effect in July.

"They were tired of their parenting role," says Todd Landry of Nebraska's Department of Health and Human Services. He says child behavioral problems, not family financial woes, were a factor in the earlier cases. He says little is known about the three new cases, which are under investigation.
------
:sadder: i find this really sad.

Parenting is really hard at times. If these kids had behavioral problems before, what are they going to have now after being abandoned.

I do not like this.

I know that there is a law that allows mothers to leave their babies at police stations and at fire stations. I think that this is good just for the fact that it gives an option for a desparate mother rather than abortion. In Europe, convents have a box system for mothers to leave their babies.

However, this is different. These kids are grown up. They have already worked on establishing a life. It is almost like having a pet and then giving it back to a shelter because you had your fun. For example, that family of 9 kids....that doesn't make sense. It isn't at all like the "box system" for the babies. This is something totally diferent....

In all honesty if a parent is willing to dump their kids like that, it is probably better that they don't have any kids under their watch..but yes it is very sad. :(

Why would anyone do this to their kids? If they can't take care of them, then they should give them to foster care families. Then maybe down the line they could reunite.

I've heard of parents who after a divorce just surrender all of their parenting rights to their ex and then never bother to see or speak to their kids again. I just don't see why anyone would do that. How can you not want to see your child again? Talk about psychological and emotional problems for the kids. Don't parents realize what that does to a kid's feeling of worth? They think "not even my mom/dad want me."

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1664341' date='Sep 26 2008, 03:40 PM']Why would anyone do this to their kids? If they can't take care of them, then they should give them to foster care families. Then maybe down the line they could reunite.

I've heard of parents who after a divorce just surrender all of their parenting rights to their ex and then never bother to see or speak to their kids again. I just don't see why anyone would do that. How can you not want to see your child again? Talk about psychological and emotional problems for the kids. Don't parents realize what that does to a kid's feeling of worth? They think "not even my mom/dad want me."[/quote]

:yes:

AGREED.

I honestly think that everyone who becomes a parent should take a child/teen psych course so that they learn Erik Erikson's stages. I really think that it will help so many parents.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='picchick' post='1664355' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:14 PM']:yes:

AGREED.

I honestly think that everyone who becomes a parent should take a child/teen psych course so that they learn Erik Erikson's stages. I really think that it will help so many parents.[/quote]

Anyone named Erik Erikson should not be taken seriously.

[quote name='picchick' post='1664355' date='Sep 26 2008, 02:14 PM']:yes:

AGREED.

I honestly think that everyone who becomes a parent should take a child/teen psych course so that they learn Erik Erikson's stages. I really think that it will help so many parents.[/quote]

I like Piaget better.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1664375' date='Sep 26 2008, 04:38 PM']I like Piaget better.[/quote]

As a Teacher i have grown to really hate Piaget. I mean I really have to will myself Christian Charity when it comes to discussing him.

I think his Philosophical Premises were severly lacking and athiestic in Nature, that is not to say he was an Athiest ( I frankly don't know if he was or not) butthat his philosophical propostitions were.

Edited by Don John of Austria

Don John of Austria

You know they could just read the Book of Sirach, lots of Parenting Advise in there, and you can't beatthe Editor.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1664379' date='Sep 26 2008, 02:43 PM']As a Teacher i have grown to really hate Piaget. I mean I really have to will myself Christian Charity when it comes to discussing him.

I think his Philosophical Premises were severly lacking and athiestic in Nature, that is not to say he was an Athiest ( I frankly don't know if he was or not) butthat his philosophical propostitions were.[/quote]

I just really like his developmental theory :unsure: I think it's brilliant.