An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attending Harvard?

littleflower+JMJ

Attending Harvard  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

littleflower+JMJ

Hey guys I have someone close to me who is graduating high school and looking into taking advantage of [url="http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/prospective/hrp/index.html"] [u][b]this offer[/b][/u][/url] that basically gives them free tuition to go to school there. I have no doubt that this person will be a solid catholic throughout college but I was just wondering overall thoughts, experiences or knowledge you know about the location, university and state?

Also, their major will be electrical engineering and computer science. Would you take advantage of this offer if you were interested? Recommend it or discourage it?

What do you think?

Also [u][b]money or tuition isn't an issue[/b][/u] because this person already qualifies for free tuition to alot of major universities already. Its just a matter of choosing which one? :idontknow:

I really have no idea since Harvard is so far away and foreign to me that I have no idea what to even think. I know it is liberal but how much so? And would there even be a Catholic presence? :idontknow:

Thanks so much!

littleflower+JMJ

Well this person actually is already getting free college to [b]all[/b] public universities in their [u][b]home state[/b][/u] so the choices are pretty large. :wacko:

So, the issue isn't money because this person has their tuition covered anywhere they go, its just the whole college experience and pros and cons to going anywhere.

However anything [u]outside of state[/u] is not completely covered...except this offer we found at Harvard.

I don't know anything about Harvard, except that it's in Boston (it's in Cambridge actually, which is right next to Boston). Do you have any specific questions about the city/state? It snows here.

there are certain universities that when one graduates it is automatic prestige, Harvard is one. I would not hesitate to jump on this one. What an opportunity and they should go for it. Excellent university, great city, and preparation for a successful career. If they are getting all these scholarships, they must be smart, don't waste that talent. This is one lucky individual.

Did they get into any other crazy good schools? For electrical engineering places like MIT, UC Berkeley, or Cornell might be better, but if Harvard is the only fancy school they got into then they absolutely should go without a question!!! There are so many exciting opportunities when you go to a school of that caliber and you can pretty much write your ticket when you get out to anything you want to do.

I say go for it, I can't imagine that they'd be able to slant their extremely liberal views that much in a Engineering/Computer Science major. Some of the general education requirements might be a little sketchy, but you run into that everywhere.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Era Might' post='1665263' date='Sep 27 2008, 07:52 PM']I don't know anything about Harvard, except that it's in Boston (it's in Cambridge actually, which is right next to Boston). Do you have any specific questions about the city/state? It snows here.[/quote]

Oh thanks so much Era! You are close by there aren't you? How safe is it? :detective:

[quote name='alicemary' post='1665264' date='Sep 27 2008, 07:54 PM']there are certain universities that when one graduates it is automatic prestige, Harvard is one. I would not hesitate to jump on this one. What an opportunity and they should go for it. Excellent university, great city, and preparation for a successful career. If they are getting all these scholarships, they must be smart, don't waste that talent. This is one lucky individual.[/quote]

Oh I completely agree. It rattles my brain thinking about it!

[quote name='zwergel88' post='1665265' date='Sep 27 2008, 07:58 PM']Did they get into any other crazy good schools? For electrical engineering places like MIT, UC Berkeley, or Cornell might be better, but if Harvard is the only fancy school they got into then they absolutely should go without a question!!! There are so many exciting opportunities when you go to a school of that caliber and you can pretty much write your ticket when you get out to anything you want to do.[/quote]

I know they are thinking about it but everything is just uncertain financial wise in regards to the other big name uni's. Harvard is the only one that is certain coverage. I know s/he can get good coverage and scholarships but only if the uni's make the offer. Which is pretty amazing because without any of the offers, alot of these possibilities wouldn't exist.

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1665273' date='Sep 27 2008, 08:22 PM']I say go for it, I can't imagine that they'd be able to slant their extremely liberal views that much in a Engineering/Computer Science major. Some of the general education requirements might be a little sketchy, but you run into that everywhere.[/quote]

That's actually my view on it. So I'm hoping to double check as best I could so I can not worry so much! :saint: :topsy: :saint:

missionarybelle

i don't know anything about there except that as I've traveled all over the northeast, the boston area was always my favorite by far.