An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy...at Church?!

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

I'll get to the heresy part in a minute.

My brother went to Mass last night, and told me that instead of the homily, they had a 15 minute powerpoint presentation (of all things) about the changes they plan to make to the school (the only Catholic school in town, and it's Kindergarten through 8th). Now, we're talking about a not-so-great educational institution (although they insist it's top notch) where each grade literally has only fifteen kids, and their technology, elective courses, and after school activities (like sports) don't even compare with our public school system. But instead of improving what needs to be improved, they have a goal of one million dollars (amidst this economic crisis our country is going through) to beautify the school. At the end of Mass, everyone was asked to fill out a volunteer sheet (if they could spare some time) and leave it in the pews.

I am going to assume that there were some complaints, because at noon Mass, we simply had the Principal speak to us for about five minutes (again, no homily). Nothing about money was mentioned, but rather, volunteering. We weren't exactly told what we would be volunteering for, mind you. Instead of simply being informed of the volunteer slips, they were actually collected right then and there, which made all of us who didn't fill it out (I have work the days they would be meeting) feel terrible. My dad, who is an usher, said there were only 11 slips total, and there were probably around 70 people there today. [I need to note that I have a small town of 8,000 people.]

She did a good job insulting those of us who attended public school by saying that the Catholic school children are our "only hope" of furthering our religion.

Here's the heresy:
She also said that while we would all like to believe that Catholicism will endure, we all know sadly that this will not be, unless our Catholic school children are properly educated because the Catholic school kids are our hope for the future.

A Catholic school principal said that. Even though Jesus told Peter that the gates of Hell will never prevail against the Church. So, basically, if we don't muster up the ridiculous amount of cash they are asking for (which is going towards all the wrong things), and if we don't enroll our children into their school, then eventually the Church - not OUR church, HOLY MOTHER CHURCH - will fail and disappear over time. Because everything has to do with the state of our Catholic schools.

She also made a bold lie by saying that the "talk on the street" is about how great the Catholic school is doing, which simply isn't true. The reason why their 7th and 8th grades are 2x smaller than the younger grades is because the kids all leave and come to our high school, which is 7th-12th.

No one clapped for her when she was done. And my parish is very clap-friendly. We actually had another speaker after Mass (this is the proper time!) who was speaking about a retreat for women, and everyone clapped for her.

Our parish needs better CCD instruction (the kids in the Catholic school also needing better religious curriculum) and more hardcore homilies, not the soft homilies where Catholic doctrine is ignored and the faith is treated like a walk in the park.

Just looking for opinions. :saint:

well, the truth is that in your town catholocism may not endure. Catholocism as a whole will go on. However, I truly believe that in some towns...in some contries....there is no more catholocism.

I'm in the Diocese of Camden, so I know what you're going through, though I'm not sure it's that bad down here. CCD is terrible...all I learned in eight years was that Jesus loves me, parables, sexual sins are wrong, and prayers I can parrot at you in my sleep. :( And they wonder why every single person, self included, fell away after Confirmation? It should have never happened.

Pray for the Church in Jersey. Heck, pray for it everywhere--it scares me that I'm often the only one under 30 at the Saturday night Mass...

HisChildForever

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1665734' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:30 PM']well, the truth is that in your town catholocism may not endure. Catholocism as a whole will go on. However, I truly believe that in some towns...in some contries....there is no more catholocism.[/quote]

No, she was actually saying that if the younger generation doesn't get educated in the Catholic school system, Catholicism will be wiped out.

Our parish wouldn't suffer if they closed the school. There's rarely any young people at Mass anyway, it's adults who make up our parish pews.

HisChildForever

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1665739' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:37 PM']I'm in the Diocese of Camden, so I know what you're going through, though I'm not sure it's that bad down here. CCD is terrible...all I learned in eight years was that Jesus loves me, parables, sexual sins are wrong, and prayers I can parrot at you in my sleep. :( And they wonder why every single person, self included, fell away after Confirmation? It should have never happened.

Pray for the Church in Jersey. Heck, pray for it everywhere--it scares me that I'm often the only one under 30 at the Saturday night Mass...[/quote]

Diocese of Newark here.

Good for you, we never learned sexual sins. :wacko:

Well, when Oral Roberts said God told him he'd die unless people sent in enough money it worked pretty good for him. Fear is always a good motivator.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1665741' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:39 PM']Diocese of Newark here.

Good for you, we never learned sexual sins. :wacko:[/quote]

:o A few years ago you guys got our (fabulous) Bishop!! :weep:

I suppose you need him more than we do, though. Peoria is pretty well-behaved.

puellapaschalis

When the Catholic hierarchy was re-established in Great Britain the bishops held Catholic education so important that the building and establishment of Catholic schools was given a higher priority than the building of parish churches.

My catholic high school was terrible. I lost my Faith there...I should of stayed in public school. Archbishop Fulton Sheen was right, "If you want [your children] to lose their faith, send them to Catholic school."

Unfortunately Catholic schools will pull that number when they want your support, but then (generally, not always) they don't do enough to really teach the faith to the kids.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1665741' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:39 PM']Diocese of Newark here.[/quote]

While, I wouldn't go so far as to call this heresy, if it truly bothers you then I would bring it up with the Archbishop. As philothea said, you got our bishop (meyers) and he is solid. I'm pretty sure he won't allow any funny business to go on in his Diocese(s). Your parish will be in my prayers.

I am completely for Catholic Education. Regardless of any need for strengthening of the Religious cirriculum, the fact remains that at a Catholic school you can pray, talk about your faith, and go to mass during the week. At a public school the government has complete control and with the way things are looking that is a very scary reality. We need to support our Catholic schools because they are a better alternative to public, secularized, godless institutions that poison our youth with relativism.

Having said that, I understand the need for reform in Catholic education but we shouldn't turn our back on it. I'm dealing with that right now. In my observance, people simply don't want to make the sacrifices necesarry to keep Catholic schools open, but they are indeed worth it. Even the watered down version of Catholic education is worth saving.

Proud Pastor of struggling school,

Fr. Burns

I think this is why we should pray for more vocations within the Church, especially to the Dominican Communities or to any community that teaches. That way we'll have great Catholic schools being taught by awesome women in habit :)