An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy...at Church?!

HisChildForever

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1666410' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:54 PM']+J.M.J.+
exactly! or people who complain they don't have the money who have cable and internet and cell phones (and of course, every child has one too, donchaknow?), expensive cars, name brand clothing, name brand food (versus store brand), etc. etc. people simply do not know how to make sacrifices, especially when it counts (like their children's education!). i fully expect to give up a lot of things so that my children can have a good Catholic education - which in my city is a lot better (not great though) than the horror stories told here.[/quote]

My mother paid my CS tuition every month, because of that it took 2 years to afford the plumbing work to fix the Hot water heater. My mother heated water on the stove and carried it into the bathroom for every persons bath for 2 years, but my sister and I went to Catholic school.
it cost about 2 1/2 months of our tuition, she could have had it fixed whenever but she saved and scrimped and did not sacrifce our Catholic Education. I get really annoyed with people who tell me that they just can't do it.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1666421' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:04 PM']My mother paid my CS tuition every month, because of that it took 2 years to afford the plumbing work to fix the Hot water heater. My mother heated water on the stove and carried it into the bathroom for every persons bath for 2 years, but my sister and I went to Catholic school.
it cost about 2 1/2 months of our tuition, she could have had it fixed whenever but she saved and scrimped and did not sacrifce our Catholic Education. I get really annoyed with people who tell me that they just can't do it.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
totally understand. my parents paid for all 9 of their children to receive some or all of Catholic schooling. first year's tuition was a measly $400 or something like that. (back in 1961 or so!) :lol: they never had cable, they have internet now (but it's dial up), they drove old, used cars. special occasions like birthdays or Christmas were always a home affair (no eating out). for a time, they went on food stamps. they put themselves through college, too, at the same time (in the 80s and 90s).

the problem is that people just don't want to sacrifice.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1666393' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:33 PM']Well we would need a lot more sisters and priest.

And the most liberal theology i was ever taught was by nuns.[/quote]

oh yeah, definitely. You definitely don't have to tell me about the related problems :), just throwing out an opinion.

Well, then all the really catholic homeschoolers, the fanatical ones, get together and start this super creepy Catholic school.

I don't know which one is worse. I've seen them all over, especally in New England.

And its just CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY. Its not going back to the 1950's its just really fanatical "the devil wears red pj's and pokemon will steal your soul" kinda wierd.

i've got to really agree with Eagle Eye to an extent. Here's our local Catholic school: Have you been kicked out of public school? Are your parents willing to throw three grand a semester so you can be valedictorian? Then come on in!

Seriously, a friend wanted to be Valedictorian at our public school, but didn't have the grades. Her parents sent her to Catholic school so that she could be the valedictorian because it was less rigorous and more full of people who didn't care about their academics. She became valedictorian easily because she no longer felt academically challenged, and the majority of those there were the cast offs from the public school system. They got our refuse so badly that my school, which is the county equivalent of an inner city school, had less drugs seized when they brought the drug dogs through than the Catholic school does.

I'm told in the old days when the Sisters still taught there, it was far different. Rigorous coursework, religious instruction, etc. From what I hear everyone in the church hierarchy in the state is trying to clean it up from the way it is now, but with limited funding and limited people willing to teach it isn't easy.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1666398' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:40 PM']Did you go in Canada? The schools are quite differant there do to the Government funded school system.[/quote]
Yes, I went to Catholic school in Canada. The schools here are equally funded by the government. The only difference between public and catholic school is that you need 4 religion/sociology credits, and you go to Mass once in awhile. I had a non catholic gym teacher for religion class. 70% of the teachers had a problem with the authority of the Church, and the teachings of the Faith. I recently talked to the chaplain who is very excited that they have 5 teachers who know the Faith for this years religion classes. Sorry if I sound a little jaded folks :rolleyes:

I am thankful though, that school is free for anyone who wishes to send there kid to the Catholic school system. All large Catholic families are welcome! My highschool was very socially aware, the students were always very active in fundraising and volunteering their time for good causes.

Edited by Mari Therese

Wow, the relative quality of Catholic schools really seems to vary by area.

Last I knew, in Chicago everyone who could possibly afford it went to Catholic school, whatever their religion, because the public schools are so bad.

Domine ut Videam

How disheartening reading this is. :sadder:

I've only ever attended Catholic schools and have had nothing but positive, faith-enriching experiences. Going to a Catholic High School certainly didn't cause me to lose my faith, but quite the opposite. All of these other schools will be in my prayers. I'm sorry that so many of you have had negative encounters with the Catholic School system. Please be assured that not all Catholic Schools are like that.

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1666526' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:25 PM']How disheartening reading this is. :sadder:

I've only ever attended Catholic schools and have had nothing but positive, faith-enriching experiences. Going to a Catholic High School certainly didn't cause me to lose my faith, but quite the opposite. All of these other schools will be in my prayers. I'm sorry that so many of you have had negative encounters with the Catholic School system. Please be assured that not all Catholic Schools are like that.[/quote]

"i went to Catholic high school. i didn't even know what the Blessed Sacrament was until after i got into the faith." -friend of mine.

around here, the teachers certifying the future Catholic teachers are teaching them heresy. only maybe 1 or 2 out of 50 say anything. who knows how many of them even know the difference.

around here, the ones who teach the truth are asked to leave or else are fired because parents don't like the truth taught to their children. (granted maybe they could have worded what they said differently).

if you graduated from a solidly orthodox Catholic university (current rankings), it's a red flag you may be trouble. if you want to follow our Holy Father or what is taught from Rome, you may be trouble. if you have a child-like faith in God, you may be trouble.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1666479' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:48 PM']Well, then all the really catholic homeschoolers, the fanatical ones, get together and start this super creepy Catholic school.

I don't know which one is worse. I've seen them all over, especally in New England.

And its just CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY. Its not going back to the 1950's its just really fanatical "the devil wears red pj's and pokemon will steal your soul" kinda wierd.[/quote]
Um...huh??

HisChildForever

Wow, this thread got long.

I want to mention that just because a teenager is attending a Catholic high school, does not mean that they practice the faith or live the faith. Sure, many teenagers do go to Catholic high school for this reason, but more often than not, parents will just enroll their kids for whatever reason.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1666392' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:32 PM']I looked at this expecting to see something really scary, I mean I have heard Panthiesm and Monism preached from the pulpit, this is mearly a biit over the top.

I think your principal had a poor choice of words, but was largly right. Priest should get up from the pulpit and tell their parish members that they are OBLIGED to send there children to Catholic school. I would prefer that they do what they used to and delare it a mortal sin not to, but I know that that is unlikely.

Unfortuantly as a Catholic school teacher I had to make a choice, teach at one or send my children to one, so I went over to the dark side and am now in a Public school.

I would sooner die than send my children to the Moral hellhole that the public schools are. Make no mistake the Public School system is here to make you good obediant citizens, it is opposed to Catholicism just as the Liberal Democratic system it supports is .[/quote]

Your views are extreme and rather offensive. I went to public school and received an excellent education. In fact, I found my faith there.

Not all Catholic schools are as perfect as you would like to think. What if one school was practically corrupt, but yet it was declared a "mortal sin" to not send your children there, the parents send their kids there, and disaster ensues?

My parents - more so my father - did not want any of his children going to Catholic schools due to the abuse, yes the [b]physical abuse[/b] he suffered in Catholic school. Getting your head banged against the black board because your handwriting is "too big" ? How about my Uncle getting hit in the ear repeatedly with an eraser when the priest knew that he recently spent time in the hospital for a concussion? The girl my mother went to school with who was literally stuffed in a garbage can because she had yet to throw out her garbage? My mother, fainting in Church because she fasted before Mass, being told to be "ignored" because it was a disruption? That sounds more like a "hell hole" to me.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1666878' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:41 AM']Your views are extreme and rather offensive. I went to public school and received an excellent education. In fact, I found my faith there.

Not all Catholic schools are as perfect as you would like to think. What if one school was practically corrupt, but yet it was declared a "mortal sin" to not send your children there, the parents send their kids there, and disaster ensues?

My parents - more so my father - did not want any of his children going to Catholic schools due to the abuse, yes the [b]physical abuse[/b] he suffered in Catholic school. Getting your head banged against the black board because your handwriting is "too big" ? How about my Uncle getting hit in the ear repeatedly with an eraser when the priest knew that he recently spent time in the hospital for a concussion? The girl my mother went to school with who was literally stuffed in a garbage can because she had yet to throw out her garbage? My mother, fainting in Church because she fasted before Mass, being told to be "ignored" because it was a disruption? That sounds more like a "hell hole" to me.[/quote]

My views are extreme and offensive? Wow I am sure that Blessed John XXIII would be shocked to know that, after all he was Pope when this was still the policy of the Church in America.

I know a lot about Catholic schools, and I know that they are hardly perfect. Do your parents attend Church? Despite the "abuse"? Then the school did it's job. There is a mountian of evidence that children who attend Catholic schools are more likely to attend Church, are more likely to be involved with other Catholic activities and give more to the Church. There is also a great deal of evidence that they are fantasic tools for evangilization, that non-catholics who attend them convert at a substantially higher rate than those that don't. Are there individual problems in schools, of course, all kinds of garbage happens at Catholic schools, of course, compared to what happens at the average Public school it is small potatoes.

AS for wether or not you recieved an excellent education in your public school, well I have never been to your school, so I can't say. But in my experiance those that say " I got an excellent education at my public school" who left highschool since 1970 or so, didn't get that good an education. Still there are exceptions, and I truly am happy if you are one of them.

Can you share how you found your faith at the school were it is technically illegal to say what is and is not right and wrong? Yes I have been though this with State lawyers.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1666918' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:50 PM']There is a mountian of evidence that children who attend Catholic schools are more likely to attend Church, are more likely to be involved with other Catholic activities and give more to the Church. There is also a great deal of evidence that they are fantasic tools for evangilization, that non-catholics who attend them convert at a substantially higher rate than those that don't. Are there individual problems in schools, of course, all kinds of garbage happens at Catholic schools, of course, compared to what happens at the average Public school it is small potatoes.[/quote]
Small potatoes? From what I hear, the amount of "garbage" that goes on in Catholic schools compared to public schools (at least in my diocese) really isn't all that different. Neither is the quality. Also, just because kids who go to Catholic school go to Mass doesn't mean that it's because of the effects of the Catholic school. Most likely it's for the same reason that they're in Catholic school in the first place: their parents make them go. I'd like to see this "mountain of evidence" you speak of.

I know several Catholic families who have home-schooled. Almost all of their kids are not only still Catholic and attend Mass, they are very zealous and devout Catholics and do a great amount of work and evangelization for the Church. The turnout in those families sure seems proportionally better than in Catholic schools.

Edited by Excelsior1027