An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heresy...at Church?!

HisChildForever

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1667534' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:23 AM']yeah, its pretty much ridiculous as far as I can tell. But I didn't feel like getting into the debate, mostly because you seem pretty set on what your saying so whatever I have to say isn't going to get through. plus this thread isn't about homeschooling anyways. peace[/quote]

I'm talking about a new type of CATHOLIC school formed by ex-public, ex-homeschools "can't afford catholic school" so they make their own and after these are established are a HUGE draw. I don't simply have my mind set on things I am telling a real problem. :annoyed: You acknowliging it or not dosn't really matter to me, but its out there.

These schools are NOT dioceses affiliated, often have questionable ties to Rome, although they display the pope prominatly and are just a dangerous.

I think everyone here is felt like they are not being heard. Catholic (and many public schools) went from being strict places of learning to loose places of ideas. It happened in all corrners in education, not just in Catholic or Public schools. Even once tightly wound-curriculium based homeschoolers are now "free schoolers" or "un schoolers" some factons of those groups don't believe in book learning at all, period. :wacko: that includes reading.

The problem is that with the strictness gone people turn to altertinative sources, and eventually to extreme sources often sacrificing sane behaviors. Like I said there are things like the LDS mormons in texas happening in new england. Their are splinter groups of protestants that are frightingly worse than the Catholic groups I know. Its the insanity that dosn't end...the puritanistic heritage of New England dosn't help at all. The mass media made a frenzy becuase the girls in TX didn't cut there hair, but some groups i've seen, running fully function schools do even more bizarre things. Some groups will not allow their girls to have dolls with faces. Some don't allow themselves to be photographed. Their trust of doctors is almost nil, their subscription to homeopathy lacking. Its all about GOD as they see him. And catholics fall into this too. I knew of a child who's face was perminatly damaged from exposure to icy cold conditions during a protest. "God" told the parent that it was their duty to save lives. The child suffers because of this cracked version of what god wants from us. God does want us to be modest, to be zelous, to care for our neighbor, but god wants what I've seen and what I'm talking about just as much as he would want people to become anorexic from fasting during lent.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1667896' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:39 PM']I'm talking about a new type of CATHOLIC school formed by ex-public, ex-homeschools "can't afford catholic school" so they make their own and after these are established are a HUGE draw. I don't simply have my mind set on things I am telling a real problem. :annoyed: You acknowliging it or not dosn't really matter to me, but its out there.[/quote]

:huh: just looked at your last 4 posts and nowhere did you mention this new type of school. you specifically insulted homeschoolers with hasty generalizations and stereotypes.

google: strawman.
A hasty generalization is a [url="http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html"]logical fallacy[/url] "committed when a person draws a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is not large enough".

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1666479' date='Sep 29 2008, 07:48 PM']Well, then all the really catholic homeschoolers, the fanatical ones, get together and start this super creepy Catholic school.

I don't know which one is worse. I've seen them all over, especally in New England.

And its just CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY. Its not going back to the 1950's its just really fanatical "the devil wears red pj's and pokemon will steal your soul" kinda wierd.[/quote]

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1668213' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:48 AM']:huh: just looked at your last 4 posts and nowhere did you mention this new type of school. you specifically insulted homeschoolers with hasty generalizations and stereotypes.

google: strawman.
A hasty generalization is a [url="http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html"]logical fallacy[/url] "committed when a person draws a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is not large enough".[/quote]

There's my first post about it. The rest were answering questions.

I'm not making a hasty generalazition. And I've made it more than clear that I'm not talking about ordinary groups, but extremists.

People are talking about all types of schooling and the best/worst of each. These marginal groups of non-diocean typically ex-homeschooler may be small compared to the public school a mile away, but with the dwindling enrolment in catholc schools around where I live many are starting to match, if not beat, the size.

Of course, I live only a short way away from one of the 200 or something year old eliete private boarding schools that cost 30 or 40k a year for Jr and Sr. high. They're all a little strange, too, but as I've never entered the building or given more of a passing glance I cannot say what they are learning.

Everyone here is free to speak from their own experiance. Why are you turing mine into this impossible rant against homeschoolers? Its not. Its real information about something that is out there. I couldn't guess how many schools in an area, probably only one in driaveable distance (30 mins? maybe more). They typically have 10-20 kids in all of the grades they offer, some just HS some go K-12. They're typically growing. Never affiliated with the dioces, usually affiliated with a smaller church that the school children alone can fill up. Myself, I've seen atleast 8 of them. And "networked" with groups all over new england so I know more of them exist. Thats many hundred if not a thousand people that I know are involved in this, more that I simply "know of". Not many in the scheme of things, but more than enough to be ignored. And like I said, the extremist "christian" schools are even stricter and adhere to even more bizarre rituals and actions. You really don't want to know.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1666872' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:32 PM']I want to mention that just because a teenager is attending a Catholic high school, does not mean that they practice the faith or live the faith. Sure, many teenagers do go to Catholic high school for this reason, but more often than not, parents will just enroll their kids for whatever reason.[/quote]
sadly true.

[quote name='Pontifex' post='1666119' date='Sep 29 2008, 07:28 AM']I am completely for Catholic Education. Regardless of any need for strengthening of the Religious cirriculum, the fact remains that at a Catholic school you can pray, talk about your faith, and go to mass during the week. At a public school the government has complete control and with the way things are looking that is a very scary reality. We need to support our Catholic schools because they are a better alternative to public, secularized, godless institutions that poison our youth with relativism.

Having said that, I understand the need for reform in Catholic education but we shouldn't turn our back on it. I'm dealing with that right now. In my observance, people simply don't want to make the sacrifices necesarry to keep Catholic schools open, but they are indeed worth it. Even the watered down version of Catholic education is worth saving.

Proud Pastor of struggling school,

Fr. Burns[/quote]
Prayers for your school Don Pontifex and all struggling Catholic schools. I have attended both Catholic and secular schools in different countries and without a doubt the best experience for me was in an Italian state school which had a Salesian educator 'ethos'. It wasn't even a 'Catholic' school, but the teachers were good Catholics.

We have Voluntary Aided free Catholic schools in England. I didn't hesitate to send my children to the Catholic primary school- it's an excellent school. However there is only one free Catholic seconday school in town, and although its governors are strong Catholics, there are many bullying problems and most practicing Catholic parents have stopped sending their children there. As my son may be going to that school in a few years, I started giving the school support- and asked a friend to go in and give a talk. I do think a reform is needed in the schools but moreso in the families. I am totally with Archbishop O' Donoghue and his 'Fit for Mission Schools' proposals.

[quote]Schools too must examine themselves regarding the mission that they have to carry out in today’s social climate, marked as it is by an obvious educational crisis. Catholic schools, which have as their primary mission the formation of students according to an holistic anthropological vision, while at the same time remaining open to all and respecting the individual identities of each and every person, cannot refrain from proposing their own educational vision, which is both human and Christian.”

– Pope Benedict XVI, speech to participants in the plenary assembly of the Congregation for Catholic Education, Monday 21 January 2008 (translated from Italian by CTS)

‘The fundamental needs of the human person are the focus of Catholic education – intellectual, physical, emotional, social, spiritual and eschatological (our eternal destiny). These fundamental needs can only be truly fulfilled through a rich and living encounter with the deepest truths about God and the human person.’

– Bishop Patrick O’Donoghue, Fit for Mission? Schools, p. 17. (CTS Expanded edition).[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1666479' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:48 PM']Well, then all the really catholic homeschoolers, the fanatical ones, get together and start this super creepy Catholic school.

I don't know which one is worse. I've seen them all over, especally in New England.

And its just CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY. Its not going back to the 1950's its just really fanatical "the devil wears red pj's and pokemon will steal your soul" kinda wierd.[/quote]
sounds like your seeing shadows that aren't there or did you really get mixed up in some kind of cult? do you need assistance?