An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I'm Visitng An Order In Nov, But I Want To Go Now...

the_rev

Hey everyone,

I'm scheudled to visit a religious order in November for a discernment retreat, but they also have a retreat in October. Its really on my heart to go now and visit them... and I'm sure if I called to the vocation director, he would let me come in October. The only thing is I have already bought tickets to fly out in November, and I would have to buy tickets for October.

I don't know why I didn't decide to go in October, but now I'm kicking myself for it! Just curious if I should contact the VD and see if I could come out in October too. I just don't want to give the wrong impression about wanting to come now in October and November.

Thanks for the imput,

Ed

When you're excited, it is hard to wait. If you want to go, and can change your tickets, do it. If it would cost extra, then it might be a time to show maturity and delay gratification. Things happen when they're supposed to. I don't think that they will fill all their slots and turn you away in November because they're full. Don't feel bad, when I get excited about something, people know not to get in my way.

Slow down. They are not moving, not going to disapear in a month. You have tickets for November, go in November. There is no rush, so show the necessary restraint and wait your time. Possibly spend the time praying and freeing up your heart for the visit. Unless, of course, you have money to burn, which I know is not the case.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='tnavarro61' post='1666807' date='Sep 30 2008, 03:48 PM']whenever i think of things like this, i get scared. you know, i'm too shy to make the first steps. don't know how to start.[/quote]

I had the same. Then the H. Spirit had enough of it and dragged me to the other side of the country by my hair (an amusing story for another time). Fortunately, my country is very small.

Have you contacted your diocese's vocation director yet? It's a good first step for many people. What you can also do is look for "low level"-retreats - my first vocation retreat was with a specific community (the Carmelites DCJ), but not about that community specifically. It was co-ed and also about the priesthood and marriage. It was a weekend, which seems extra-scary, but it's a blessing in disguise for shy people, because it gives you some time to check it out and get used to the group. Also, if a retreat involves several meals together you get an extra low-pressure opportunity to talk to people.

There are bound to be some people from your area (or with crazy spiritual google skills) here on VS that can help you find retreats and such. Good luck!

And Rev - unless you're suspecting that Someone has a big hand in your impatience, just wait :)

It takes courage to start the exploration process, but it has so many rewards. The first step is just to write to different communities, or email them. When you start to get to know a sister or a priest, it gets easier to speak with them. Eventually that leads to a visit. And the phatmass community is wonderful to speak with and share, we all have had our doubts!!!!

[quote]whenever i think of things like this, i get scared. you know, i'm too shy to make the first steps. don't know how to start.[/quote]

It took a lot for me to go beyond what I knew as continuity, always thinking about Diocesean priesthood, to the realization that the reason my heart still searches restlessly is because the Lord is calling me elsewhere... It took a lot for me to say, I'm going to go on this retreat, because i was going to go on a discernment retreat with the order last spring and I backed out. This time, I just purchased the plane ticket so now there is no turning back. But now, instead of having regrets, I'm very anxious and excited about visiting! I'm at tremendous peace about visiting this particular order.

Pray.... but don't be afraid to take risks!

i am not in the right age to start searching, i am only 16 and sometimes i wish i was older anyway i only talke about this to few people, i mean, very few people and when someone ask me if I want to be priest or a religious, i tend to say "i don't know" or i just change the topic with a smile, or just don't mind them by pretending not to hear them but deep in my heart i know that God wants me to join a community, an order. I just have no courage to tell the world.

and, i live 2 hour drive away from our capital city. Vocation retreats are always done there and I just don't know how to get there. Sometimes vocation retreats are in places where i must spend a day, or half, traveliing through the car.

i'm sorry the_rev for using your thread for sharing may problems.

That's fine~ Usualy my threads don't get more than three responses, so this is exciting ;). [MY] Community just started a mission in the Phillipines, the Marians of the Immaculate Conception. You can check out them at this link: [url="http://www.marian.org/philippines"]http://www.marian.org/philippines[/url]

thank you very much. I'll visit that. You know what, i am interested in becoming a mercedarian, or a redemptorist or a trappist!

You have plenty of time to discern your vocation!! 16 is not too early to develop your relationship with Jesus. That is really what a vocation is all about. Learn all you can, develop good friendships, work hard in school, all in preparation for where ever life takes you. It is hard when you are not near religious orders, but remember, the internet brings them very close!

[quote name='alicemary' post='1668626' date='Oct 3 2008, 07:59 AM']You have plenty of time to discern your vocation!! 16 is not too early to develop your relationship with Jesus. That is really what a vocation is all about. Learn all you can, develop good friendships, work hard in school, all in preparation for where ever life takes you. It is hard when you are not near religious orders, but remember, the internet brings them very close![/quote]

oh yes thank you, alice mary! it is really hard but through internet i learned a lot! thank you very much for the advice, i am inspired with your words. i'll be in college in almost 8 months now and I am going to take Physical Therapy.. do you think the course is okay and will be very helpful to me "future" community?

[b]the_rev[/b]

i have visited the site and i am quite interested.. still praying about it. anyway, it made a flame of interest in my heart. I now Donald Calloway, i saw a DVD about his life in a nearby Pauline bookstore (run by the FSP sisters).

Thanks! Thanks! This is my very first time to share my vocation, my calling!

You have picked a very useful and wonderful profession. What you might not know is that I am a Rehabilitation nurse and work every day with PT's. You will be very valuable where ever life may take you.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1669383' date='Oct 4 2008, 07:26 AM']You have picked a very useful and wonderful profession. What you might not know is that I am a Rehabilitation nurse and work every day with PT's. You will be very valuable where ever life may take you.[/quote]

i asked my spiritual director (one of the few who knows whats happening in me) if Physical Therapy is good but he said it's not. What shall I choose now?