An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I'm Visitng An Order In Nov, But I Want To Go Now...

the_rev

the lords sheep

Philosophy would be your prerequisites for seminary, but if you should for whatever reason decide not to enter an order/the priesthood, it would be pretty useless.
My thought? (not to defy your spiritual director) Do whatever you like: if you are interested in PT, study it. God will use that- your training, your love of people, your time spent in service- to speak to your heart and to bring you closer to Him. I know a seminarian who was one of the heads of a huge investment banking company in New York; he never imagined that the years he spent studying and working in the financial world would lead him to God, but God spoke to him even in the busyness of everything.
Especially if you enter a community, they will be able to use your medical knowledge. You could also do nursing, which has a bit more intense training, but can be used to serve the poor around the world in the missions, or just to serve the community of priests and brothers as a medical resource and advocate.
Follow your heart. If PT seems right to you, go for it. You're very young. You have a few years of school/work left to go before you could even apply for seminary. Just remember that God writes straight with crooked lines.
You're in our prayers!
In the hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

Edited by the lords sheep

thank you very much, lord's sheep, i wa enlightened. [i]Salamat po![/i] ("Thank you" in our language). Well, I was thinking about it. Yes, it is the service that counts. Yes, the course that I'm going to take is not just for me, it would be for the good of others too.

By the way, I am very much interested in becoming a contemplative. How can I prefer for it? We just met some Minim nuns after visiting our FSP friends. i am very much inspired seeing them wearing their black habit, their wimples and veils. They (2) smiled at us and we asked from what congregation they are.

I only know 3 contemplative orders in the Philippines: The Benedictines, the Trappists and our very own Marians of the Holy Eucharist. Benedictines is not my option because I want a purely enclosed life. They work as teachers in an exclusive school in Manila.To the two remaining, I'm more interested in the OCSO. The Marians have no websites and they have only onemonastery here, in Cebu which is seas away. (BTW, our country is an archipelago, just in case). The Trappist also live in a far island (Guimaras visit www.ourladyofnewhelfta.com/OLP ) while the Benedictines live in Manila, some 2 hour drive from our home.

Thank you very much for assisting me!

Pagpalain kayo ng Diyos (God bless you!)

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1670112' date='Oct 4 2008, 08:29 PM']There are Poor Clares in Manila...but I guess they're not really an option for you, are they?[/quote]

yes there are, there are also poor clares in our place but what do you mean?

puellapaschalis

I think that the Poor Clares aren't a vocational possibility for you. In the same way that the priesthood isn't a vocational possibility for me :)

waiting does stink. the closer i get, the more excited i get, the slower things get! it's a good test of patience. there's time, so don't worry. instead of waiting around whistling, i guess it's good to discipline yourself and keep busy.

also, the time could mean God wants you to do *something*.. explore more? learn more? about yourself? fix something/someone? go somewhere?

pray about it. kick up the spirituality a notch. increase in prayer/penance. God bless!

well thank you very much, johnny.. but what should i do? i want to join an organization. I wrote a letter to the local Militia Immaculata and they didn't replied. They kept me waiting for months and my target consecration day was over.
I just sent a message to a local org here, the Servants of God, they are tasked to visit the poor sick..

what else shall i do?

what college cours shall i take?

still thinking about taking Physical Therapy...

what college course would you recommend.

it seems that i lost my heart somewhere. a classmate of mine told me to "choose where my heart is". but where's my heart?

anyway, my spiritual director told me to finish college first before pursuing my vocation.

so i need a very helpful college course: helpful to my "Future" brothers..

God bless!

VeniteAdoremus

Well...

I would choose the college course that you like best. The one you think you'll enjoy the most (after properly checking out several... oh my, my inner guidance counsellor is coming out!).

Your vocation is tied to your likes and dislikes. For example, if seeing blood makes you faint, you probably won't be called to a hospitaller order. When you're in a college course where you're comfortable, it will be much easier to develop as a person (speaking from experience here).

Maybe the subject of your course will not be something your future congregation occupies itself with, but they will probably appreciate the other things you've learned at college a lot (again, speaking from experience).

So, in short, go where your heart leads you ;)

What do you like about physical therapy? What are your favourite subjects in school? What are your hobbies?

she_who_is_not

So, in short, go where your heart leads you ;)

What do you like about physical therapy? What are your favourite subjects in school? What are your hobbies?
[/quote]
VA gives fabulous advice!
I think the best thing to do is follow your heart, and the promptings of the Holy Spirit. God will use you in whatever way he needs you. In our ignorance to His ways, and with all good faith, we try to be useful or prepare for the future. None of knows what the future will bring, so we do our best to discern God's will. If God means for you to be a priest, you will learn what you need to learn in the process. Right now, look at each choice individually and ask is this the will of God? Do not neccesarily depend on your own understanding.
When I decided to quit teaching and study law, I was very confused. Teaching seemed holier, more self-sacrificing, and loving. We all know the societal perception of lawyers. However, I also believed God endowed me with certain gifts for a purpose and I was obligated to use those gifts. Already, I can see the law school experience is making me a better person. I am increasingly detached from intellectual pride, I've gained self-knowledge, and my prayer life is more meaningful. Though I am unclear of how God will use my legal knowledge to further the kingdom, I trust that all things are possible with God and try to daily submit to His will.
My best advice, (which I am in no way qualified to give), is to wait, be silent, and go about your daily activities with love and service to your neighbor. When the time comes to make a decision, pray for guidance, and make it. God has prepared great things for you. Just offer your trust and things will generally fall into place.
Amanda

puellapaschalis

Yea, I'll echo what VA has said. Don't try to second-guess in what He wants for you: the perfect "you" is already inside, somewhere, and hints and tips come through by being the best you already [i]are[/i].

thank you very much! you are all so kind and sweet.. thanks for the advice!

but i lost my [b]heart[/b] somewhere [u][i][b]help me to find it.[/b][/i][/u]
I enjoy my English subject. I enjoy writing. I just hate grammar but I really learn from it. I join writing contests, and I really enjoy it.

I also enjoy doing science investigatory projects. My "Checking the Quality of Water in Lipa City" won the 2nd place. i enjoy Biology a lot, as well as Chemistry (justr emove the Math), and I somewhat enjoy Physics, too.

I enjoy Mathematics too. I mean, there are days that I enjoy Math.. I enjoy Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry.

I excel in English subject.

What are my interests?

I want a course that will requires the intelllect. I am not that active person. I am not athletic. Writing theses, reviews, essays? I enjoy them. I enjoy Muusic, and Photography. I love doing researchs. YEs! Researchs! I enjoy that!

So please give me all the possible courses. As much as possible, please choose from the courses offered at Lyceum of the Philippines : visit www.lyceumbatangas.edu.ph , then click academics. Or, www.uplb.edu.ph (they are 2 different institutions) but you can give courses outside from the choices.

Thanks!

My spirtual adviser told me not to take Physical Therapy, MAss Communication, Computer Engineering, Nursing, Medical Technology. Because here in our country, they are the "not in-demand couses". He advised me to take BS Psychology.. wht dou you think?

VeniteAdoremus

We can't choose your subject for you :)

If you enjoy research, but aren't a math whiz, you can look at the bio-sciences. Psychology and biology aren't math intensive (although you do get some, mainly statistics). Chemistry and computer engineering have a bit more, and physics is rather math-heavy.

As a very general rule, education in biology is more research-driven than in psychology, but I know absolutely nothing about the Lyceum so I couldn't tell you the situation there. If biology is very popular it could be the other way around.

You can make a list of all subjects that at first glance appeal to you. Then try to think [i]what[/i] you like about it, and what you don't like. Talk with your parents, teachers and (grown-up) friends about what they think suits your personality (don't let them decide for you, but take their perspective along). Try to limit the list to four or five courses.

Then it's time to find out more about your favourite courses. Visit the web sites, and if possible, visit the university (are there any "open days"?). See if you can talk to students, get them to tell you what they're learning, what they like best and worst about the course, and ask what made them decide to study this subject. Chances are you'll meet a few people who seem very similar to you, and had the same questions when they were searching for a course. And if they love their subject, they can't stop talking about it anyway, so they won't mind your questions :)

Pray about it.

Yes, it takes a lot of time :) But it can also be fun if you use the opportunity to learn about yourself, since you're a very interesting person (God likes to make us that way). And keep us posted about what you're doing and whether you like it.

(I just wish you were Dutch, because then it'd be my job to help you and I could tell my boss to pay me for it ;) )

you need more time to think through these issues. You need to be more aware of what is in your heart before making major decisions. Take time to mature and grow, go to school, take courses that you like. Plan your life as a human being first. If you are indeed called to religious life, the Lord will take hold of your heart. Sprititual direction is a help, but you do not seem in sync with your director, so find another if you can. If you cant answer the questions you are posing for us to answer, then you definetly need to slow down and examine yourself. There is no hurry. If you want to be a PT, then go for it. I have no idea what good a degree in psychology would do, especially at the bachelors level, not marketable at all. Slow down my friend!! Take it each day at a time, and do your best to excell in your classes. Develop your relationship with Jesus, the rest will follow.

choosing what to study can be intimidating. But its also fun.

Psychology is actually one of the more marketable liberal arts degrees. Advertising, marketing, human resources ... a lot of business and non-profits look for that degree. It shows you know something about how people operate, which is helpful in the working world.

Does it lead to a certain profession, like PT? No, not at the undergrad level.

But its like the English degree, you know? There's a number of companies out there who want to know that you can write.

Thank you very much to your replies. You are all so kind and really helping me. I made up my mind. I am going to take BS Psychology, then probably take A Master's degree. Then when I reach the right age, I want to enter a Trappist abbey here. I asked my adviser what will my course do in my vocation. he told me that it's a great help in formation, in spirtul direction, etc. I love to do those things, so I made up my mind...

Venite, how I wish I were a Dutch.

[b]To those who answered my questions[/b], thank you very much! I cannot name you all, because you are too many! But anyay, thanks to the_rev for this space. Thank you very much, Phatmass friends, for helping me to make my first steps.

Thank you very much! Please help me too as i take my second, third fourth... step.

I am thankful that I am in this forum. You're so sweet and kind.

I am praying for all of you.

God bless!