An Old School Catholic Message Board

Palin Told To Give Up Candidacy

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1666554' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:59 PM']I am so in-in-the-air on Palin. I was very interested at first, and I believe she was greatly and unfairly maligned by the left in the beginning. But now the dust is settling, she's had time to re-group and get ready. Yet her performance is being criticized by the people who originally supported her (or were at least willing to take a "wait and see" attitude). I don't think it's fair to cast doubt on the conservatism of Republicans who are questioning her abilities. Being discerning is part of life and actually a wise person should be discerning. I am definitely concerned about Palin and her performance. I just don't know.[/quote]
Not being intimately acquainted with American politics, I'd tend to side with you on this, about how we need to decide for ourselves how good (or not good) a candidate is. However I find it fairly harsh that whoever made these comments was basically demanding that Palin step down. Even I would know if she made any major mistakes, and she hasn't. Sounds like this is based on one or two less than stellar interviews. So what? Know who else gives terrible interviews? Calgary Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf. He also happens to be one of the best young defencemen in the game.
I'm all in favour of waiting and seeing how adept she is at what her job will entail, but the original article seemed unreasonably harsh to me. Would you agree?

I think people on both sides are simply getting edgy as we get closer to the election. First it's people saying Biden should step aside and bring Clinton in--and even Biden said that Clinton would have been a better choice. And now it's Palin.

Interesting how there seems to be about as much focus on the running mates as there is on the presidential candidates themselves.

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1666599' date='Sep 29 2008, 09:27 PM']If she asks for a lifeline, [i]then [/i]she's a dud.

Oh wait, that was tiny fey! :lol_roll:[/quote]
That. was. funny.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1666735' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:43 AM']I think people on both sides are simply getting edgy as we get closer to the election. First it's people saying Biden should step aside and bring Clinton in--and even Biden said that Clinton would have been a better choice. And now it's Palin.

Interesting how there seems to be about as much focus on the running mates as there is on the presidential candidates themselves.[/quote]
yes, yes, yes.... there is so much riding on this election and it is so close that both sides are on edge. It's going to be a loooong five weeks... followed, no doubt, by lots of finger-pointing afterwards.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1666367' date='Sep 29 2008, 03:46 PM']The other option, I assume you mean Obama, is nothing to be proud of, but infinitly better than Palin or McCain.[/quote]

Obama "infinitely better????" Where's that vomit smiley when I need it???

DUDE,

I'll take some one less experienced over a baby-killer any day...!!! Besides, McCain's experience outdoes Obama and Palin's experience put together. I'm not worried about her being Vice-Prez.

[quote]QUOTE
Jack Cafferty on CNN, September 26, 2008
I thought this rambling, idiotic, incoherent, vacuous answer was an SNL joke written for Tina Fey. It wasn't:

Palin: "That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in. Where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it's got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and getting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade -- we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation."[/quote]

commentary and the video where she said it:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc[/url]

Madame Vengier

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1666824' date='Sep 30 2008, 08:39 AM']I'll take some one less experienced over a baby-killer any day...!!![/quote]

And that's only ONE of his problems. The man is bad news all around. McCain is no great pro-lifer either, so we naturally have to look at the other issues on the table as well--Obama is "infinitely" worse than any other option.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1666731' date='Sep 29 2008, 11:28 PM']Not being intimately acquainted with American politics, I'd tend to side with you on this, about how we need to decide for ourselves how good (or not good) a candidate is. However I find it fairly harsh that whoever made these comments was basically demanding that Palin step down. Even I would know if she made any major mistakes, and she hasn't. Sounds like this is based on one or two less than stellar interviews. So what? Know who else gives terrible interviews? Calgary Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf. He also happens to be one of the best young defencemen in the game.
I'm all in favour of waiting and seeing how adept she is at what her job will entail, but the original article seemed unreasonably harsh to me. Would you agree?[/quote]

I would agree. And we also need more 17 year olds like you around here. You're putting us all to shame..."all" would include me as well. Please don't ever change.

Dion Phanuef isn't running for second highest office in the land, though, so that may not be the best defense (no pun intended, LOL) for Palin. I do believe that mature, educated, experienced politicians should be somewhat polished (though Obama could be said to be fairly polished and we know his rhetoric is as empty as a cave--plus he has zero original ideas and is only saying what he's told to say which makes his emptiness even worse). All said, Republicans have the right to critique their own candidates and actually it's important that we look discerning. I mean, Biden for VP is just...scary. This is a guy who can't even get onboard with his own running mate since being chosen as VP candidate...not to mention his comments BEFORE he was chosen, stating that McCain was a better Presidential candidate and now saying that Hillary would be a better VP. The Dems' own candidate can't get his act together but they are all over Palin for nonsense like her husband's 20-plus year old DUI and their pregnant daughter. Unbelievable. To borrow a phrase from the Dems themselves: "This is all distracting from the real issues."

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1666735' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:43 AM']I think people on both sides are simply getting edgy as we get closer to the election. First it's people saying Biden should step aside and bring Clinton in--and even Biden said that Clinton would have been a better choice. And now it's Palin.[/quote]

Clinton would have probably not accepted that invitation anyway because then she wouldn't have the chance to run for president later.

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1666365' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:44 PM']It does kind of frighten me that she thinks all SSA is a choice and that evolution is false (both types) and that God put dino bones in the earth to trick us, but they never actually existed..but I mean look at the other option..[/quote]

Yeah, because whether God put dino bones to trick us or not has a LOT to do with what vp's do on a daily basis. In fact, I think that if she doesn't believe in dinosaurs cabinet meetings might be kinda tough. hehe.

i mean please. belief in evolution is a personal thing that has nothing to do with how they could run a country.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1667001' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:36 PM']Yeah, because whether God put dino bones to trick us or not has a LOT to do with what vp's do on a daily basis. In fact, I think that if she doesn't believe in dinosaurs cabinet meetings might be kinda tough. hehe.

i mean please. belief in evolution is a personal thing that has nothing to do with how they could run a country.[/quote]

sometimes it's so extreme that you have to question them beyond that one belief. it's a matter of credibility, good judgment, and character.

if they don't have it when it's obvious, they don't have it when you need it. the dino bone thing is case in point.

KnightofChrist

Well people it all comes down to which is better Palin who has problems which are blow way out of proportion or Biden who gets away with out right lies and plagiarism.

Again everything on the VP side of the news is Back Asswards.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1666824' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:39 AM']Obama "infinitely better????" Where's that vomit smiley when I need it???

DUDE,

I'll take some one less experienced over a baby-killer any day...!!! Besides, McCain's experience outdoes Obama and Palin's experience put together. I'm not worried about her being Vice-Prez.[/quote]

Obama has never performed an abortion, he has stated that the Constitution of the United States allows women the right to an abortion.

I'm very sorry this has not worked out for you, however we live in a constitutional republic.

If you don't like that, I suggust you move to the Vatican.

McCain has experience, however that experience has not helped him develop a sane foreign policy.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1667085' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:19 PM']he has stated that the Constitution of the United States allows women the right to an abortion.[/quote]

I thought that everybody knew that abortion isn't mentioned in the Constitution?