An Old School Catholic Message Board

Political Compass Test

Mr.Cat

princessgianna

Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92

i believe that there is a balance having to authority and truly being free to do what you want!!!!

obviously hitler was too authority and we as america can be too free!

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1666487' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:52 PM'][center

:camp: I remember in High School my little dot being lower and more to the center. I think that I am answering something wrong/diffrently... My High School Government teacher called me a "nut", indirectly. When seeing my dot on the board he laughed and asked who that weirdo was. I don't remember if I raised my hand or not.[/quote]

Gosh, you had a high school teacher like that too? Man, I had one like that my junior year history class. Once he found out I was Catholic it was a whole year of fun! <_<

I find this incredibly amusing. If you looked at that graph, where would most people think the orthodox Catholics would fall? Probably not in the Liberal/Libertarian quadrant!! :rolling:

I don't know if their test is messed up or the definitions are wrong. :mellow:

[quote name='philothea' post='1666889' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:01 PM']I find this incredibly amusing. If you looked at that graph, where would most people think the orthodox Catholics would fall? Probably not in the Liberal/Libertarian quadrant!! :rolling:

I don't know if their test is messed up or the definitions are wrong. :mellow:[/quote]Not necessarily. “[i]Conservative[/i]” and “[i]liberal[/i]” are relative to certain schools of thought, environment, history, and conditions. In the United States they are used a lot as “[i][b]flash words[/b][/i]”. In fact no one could be purely conservative or purely liberal, it is not that simple, and indeed these terms are hardly descriptors of one’s principles.

Some Catholic positions such as current opposition to inhumane punishment and in some respect opposition to capital punishment could be considered liberal. However, retaining human sexuality to marriage and opposition to impurity could be considered conservative.

As I mentioned at the start of this topic this isn’t necessarily about political or religious affiliation, thus it is theoretically possible for a Catholic to appear anywhere on the chart.

[i]As for being less authoritarian, I truly and really relate to that. Maybe thats why I like it so much here... Focused but easy going people...[/i]

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1666903' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:24 PM']Not necessarily. “[i]Conservative[/i]” and “[i]liberal[/i]” are relative to certain schools of thought, environment, history, and conditions. In the United States they are used a lot as “[i][b]flash words[/b][/i]”. In fact no one could be purely conservative or purely liberal, it is not that simple, and indeed these terms are hardly descriptors of one’s principles[/quote]

Agreed... I've always thought "conservative" and "liberal" as used nowadays included a lot of stances that weren't really reflective of a cohesive viewpoint.

Still, after frequently seeing Christians characterized as authoritarian dinosaurs, it amused me. :)

[quote name='philothea' post='1666913' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:40 PM']Agreed... I've always thought "conservative" and "liberal" as used nowadays included a lot of stances that weren't really reflective of a cohesive viewpoint.

Still, after frequently seeing Christians characterized as authoritarian dinosaurs, it amused me. :)[/quote]I see your point. Irony... :))

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Thy Geekdom Come

I see this test as inaccurate and misguided. I tested close to where they put Benedict XVI. They have him as a slightly leftist-authoritarian. Here's the thing, though, the test isn't meant to measure religious ideals, just government ideals, so when I said that it would be best for society if we all did what we could and gave the products according to need (a clearly Marxist idea politically, but a reflection of Acts 2 religiously), I wasn't saying that the government should mandate it. That's the difference between Christianity's idea of community and Marx's idea of communism. While we are not to separate our faith from our political lives (in the sense of believing in the pro-life cause but voting against it), we also aren't bound to find it prudent to enforce our religion. We can't be hypocritical, but we also can't force people to follow our beliefs. To imply that Pope Benedict is politically leftist-authoritarian (and I with him) is wrong; politically, I think he would say that a number of Christian social mores must be voluntary, not politically enforced.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1666947' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:38 PM']I see this test as inaccurate and misguided. I tested close to where they put Benedict XVI. They have him as a slightly leftist-authoritarian. Here's the thing, though, the test isn't meant to measure religious ideals, just government ideals, so when I said that it would be best for society if we all did what we could and gave the products according to need (a clearly Marxist idea politically, but a reflection of Acts 2 religiously), I wasn't saying that the government should mandate it. That's the difference between Christianity's idea of community and Marx's idea of communism. While we are not to separate our faith from our political lives (in the sense of believing in the pro-life cause but voting against it), we also aren't bound to find it prudent to enforce our religion. We can't be hypocritical, but we also can't force people to follow our beliefs. To imply that Pope Benedict is politically leftist-authoritarian (and I with him) is wrong; politically, I think he would say that a number of Christian social mores must be voluntary, not politically enforced.[/quote][quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1666366' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:45 PM']This is a statistical political-economical ideology examination/test. The results are not perfect and may not reflect one’s personal opinions, and it may surprise some to where this automated examination would place them.[/quote]Yeah.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Raphael' post='1666947' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:38 PM']I see this test as inaccurate and misguided. I tested close to where they put Benedict XVI. They have him as a slightly leftist-authoritarian. Here's the thing, though, the test isn't meant to measure religious ideals, just government ideals, so when I said that it would be best for society if we all did what we could and gave the products according to need (a clearly Marxist idea politically, but a reflection of Acts 2 religiously), I wasn't saying that the government should mandate it. That's the difference between Christianity's idea of community and Marx's idea of communism. While we are not to separate our faith from our political lives (in the sense of believing in the pro-life cause but voting against it), we also aren't bound to find it prudent to enforce our religion. We can't be hypocritical, but we also can't force people to follow our beliefs. To imply that Pope Benedict is politically leftist-authoritarian (and I with him) is wrong; politically, I think he would say that a number of Christian social mores must be voluntary, not politically enforced.[/quote]
Yes, I know what you mean. There were a couple of questions on there where I answered with what I feel would be ideal, but wouldn't necessarily want the government to regulate that.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1667013' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:43 PM']me.[/quote]
That's more or less where I was.

Another issue I have with these kinds of tests is their qualifying language. They're trying to get general ideas and sometimes try to include language that they think will make the question easier to answer without claims to moral absolutes, but that excludes participants who do believe in moral absolutes. For instance, I didn't know how to answer the statement, "abortion is wrong except when for the mother's health or safety." I mean, should I answer true because abortion is wrong or false because they're trying to make qualifications I don't agree with? Of course, I guess you have to look at it from the intention of the test-maker, but that takes away a certain level of answering "honestly" without thinking too hard about "tricking" the test. The moral questions had a lot of things like that..."sex is usually wrong outside of marriage"...well, yes, but it's ALWAYS wrong outside of marriage...

[img]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n129/corsetti3/pcgraphpng.jpg[/img]
Their questions no son buenos.

Edited by MIkolbe