An Old School Catholic Message Board

Political Compass Test

Mr.Cat

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1667013' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:43 PM']me.[/quote]

Tee hee, I'm almost in the exact same spot as cmom! :smokey:

Mandela is pro-abortion!!! The only good thing he has done is to divorce Winnie!!!! (remember her "burning necklaces"?
Please DON'T herald Mandela as a hero!!1

[quote name='Raphael' post='1667028' date='Sep 30 2008, 03:11 PM']That's more or less where I was.

Another issue I have with these kinds of tests is their qualifying language. They're trying to get general ideas and sometimes try to include language that they think will make the question easier to answer without claims to moral absolutes, but that excludes participants who do believe in moral absolutes. For instance, I didn't know how to answer the statement, "abortion is wrong except when for the mother's health or safety." I mean, should I answer true because abortion is wrong or false because they're trying to make qualifications I don't agree with? Of course, I guess you have to look at it from the intention of the test-maker, but that takes away a certain level of answering "honestly" without thinking too hard about "tricking" the test. The moral questions had a lot of things like that..."sex is usually wrong outside of marriage"...well, yes, but it's ALWAYS wrong outside of marriage...[/quote]The test was just for fun. Sorry if we endangered any souls in the process...

:weep: :weep: :weep:

Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.92

What does this mean, exactly?

eagle_eye222001

Economic Left/Right: 1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.08

This test is a bunch of eagle doo-doo.

My sister took this test and she watched me take it and said that at the end where they show all the leaders that Pope Benedict XVI appeared in two distinctly different places.

I thought I would be more right. A solid portion of my answers leaned right. There must have been a strong left-liberal wind.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

I was in the left lower/middle. -Katie

Nihil Obstat

I have a bit of a hate for politicalcompass. I've found the questions to be rather biased.
I tend to get about two thirds to the right, slightly authoritatian... which is where they place the pope, if I remember correctly. And Hitler. See? Bias. ;)
It's only been in the last three years that I really started to understand politics. :) I enjoy being conservative in a school full of lefties.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1668512' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:54 PM']no i really do. i am not easily offended.[/quote]
According to them, you're fascist. According to me you're doin' fine.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1671785' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:22 PM']I have a bit of a hate for politicalcompass. I've found the questions to be rather biased.
I tend to get about two thirds to the right, slightly authoritatian... which is where they place the pope, if I remember correctly. And Hitler. See? Bias. ;)
It's only been in the last three years that I really started to understand politics. :) I enjoy being conservative in a school full of lefties.[/quote] :lol_roll: I am being reminded of my professors explaining to me that most Americans don’t understand political science. At least people are enjoying this test, I think.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1672020' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:40 AM']:lol_roll: I am being reminded of my professors explaining to me that most Americans don’t understand political science. At least people are enjoying this test, I think.[/quote]
I've heard similar things in Canada, that the average person doesn't understand the difference between right and left.
When I first took the test, I scored with a boring, same-as-everyone-else middle of the road lefty libertarian. Then I took it again and realized the giant bias. After reviewing the questions a bit, and trying my best to ignore their bias and answer to the issue rather than the question, I scored fairly hardline right, tending to the middle of authoritarian and libertarian... usually slightly more authoritarian.

My high school is really good; I remember in grade ten, we spent a significant amount of time on a project regarding the differences between the political right and left. I owe my interest in politics to the high school social studies program... and to the Church.
Yay for social honours nerds. :D That was an awesome time. Model parliaments are awesome, and I was PM! :))