An Old School Catholic Message Board

"religulous" Is More Absurd Than Hateful

lilac_angel

“RELIGULOUS” IS MORE ABSURD THAN HATEFUL

September 29, 2008

Catholic League director of communications Susan A. Fani attended a preview of the Bill Maher movie, “Religulous,” in New York City on September 25. In her report to league president Bill Donohue, it was clear that the film is more absurd than hateful. Here is Donohue’s take on the movie as informed by Fani’s observations:

“Maher has been on a crusade smearing Catholicism for many years, sometimes viciously so. It was therefore expected that ‘Religulous’ would offer more of the same. But in fairness, this did not happen. As we already knew, Maher’s movie was not going to single out Catholicism for derision—Protestantism, Judaism, Islam and other religions are afforded cheap shots—but what we did not know is that he wouldn’t succumb to the kind of slanderous assaults on priests, for instance, that he has made in the past. Nor did we know that he would resist making vile comments about core religious beliefs.

“On the other hand, it is pure nonsense to play Catholicism off against science. After all, were it not for the role of the Catholic Church, there would have been no Scientific Revolution and no early breakthroughs in astronomy. Equally dumb is the assertion that the Ten Commandments are flawed because they don’t speak to child abuse, rape and torture. Had Maher gone to more religion classes, he would have learned that the central taboos listed are umbrella strictures that cover a host of subsidiary sins. And why did he bother to take out of context statements from people like John Adams that make the Founding Fathers sound anti-religion? Adams has often been quoted as saying that the Constitution was made ‘only for a moral and religious people.'

“More important, if Jesus is not the Son of God, as Maher contends, then why does he waste time—and make himself look silly in the process—by invoking Jesus’ name to give homosexuality a pass? In the flick, Maher argues that homosexuality couldn’t be so bad if Jesus never mentioned it. And, of course, Maher’s contention that religion kills looks rather feeble given that the 20th century was the most violent in history. Hasn’t he noticed that Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot were expressly atheistic and anti-religious? In any event, Catholicism will survive ‘Religulous.'"

Edited by lilac_angel

Madame Vengier

Yeah, not gonna waste my time and money on this angry, prostitute-loving, self-loathing, God-hating little man.

Too bad about him, really. I believe he's a bright and intelligent guy. He would make an awesome Catholic apologist when/if converted.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1666542' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:40 PM']Yeah, not gonna waste my time and money on this angry, prostitute-loving, self-loathing, God-hating little man.

Too bad about him, really. I believe he's a bright and intelligent guy. He would make an awesome Catholic apologist when/if converted.[/quote]

Yeah, me neither. I'm a little relieved, though, that it might not be as bad as I thought.

Sometimes the devil has to be subtle, though, to really convince people.

And you never know... we should all do a Converting Bill Maher novena or something.. :juggle:

Edited by lilac_angel

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1666617' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:47 PM']Bill Donohue reminds me of someone who thinks that the louder you shout your opinion, the more important and true it is.[/quote]
I agree. I'm glad that he was able to honestly and fairly critique this movie without resorting to another boycott. I get that kind of zealot vibe from him most of the time.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1666675' date='Sep 29 2008, 08:58 PM']I agree. I'm glad that he was able to honestly and fairly critique this movie without resorting to another boycott. I get that kind of zealot vibe from him most of the time.[/quote]
Precisely. I agree.

Interesting. Unfortunately, there may be one or two people who might think they've learned something from this movie. My advice is to brush up on the easy apologetics on the topics brought up in that synopsis. My Canadian $0.02. Soon to be worth nothing.

I just listened to NPR's interview with the creator of this so-called "documentary." The interviewer tried to press them about moderate Christianity along with other Christians (such as Catholics) who do not interpret the Bible strictly literally, but they skirted around the question by re-stating their opinion that religion serves no purpose. I find their arguments to be pretty lame, not because I disagree with the conclusion, but because the logic is bad. They only have two reasons for hating religion: people have done bad things in the name of religion and some religious people have unreasonable beliefs.

Following that, they interviewed the creator of beliefnet.com and he actually did bring up the point that their movie targets fundamentalists and forgets that most Christians or religious people are not fundamentalist at all and he pointed out all the good things that religious people have done for society.

So all this movie really does is point out the clear flaws in fundamentalism, which we already knew about.

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1666519' date='Sep 29 2008, 08:48 PM']In the flick, Maher argues that homosexuality couldn’t be so bad if Jesus never mentioned it.[/quote]

Good point. Jesus lived about 33 years and all He ever said was what is recorded in the NT. People avoided Him due to the repetitions.

Guy: Hey Jesus! How about that weather?
Jesus: Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Guy: Umm...So what's new?
Jesus: Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Guy: So...I'm against homosexuality. How about you?
Jesus: Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
Guy: Ya know what? If you're not gonna listen to me, then forget it.
Jesus: Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. They will be filled.
Guy: I'm leaving. You might wanna work on your social skills. Just saying.
Jesus: Blessed are the merciful for mercy will be shown to them.

So, yea, what else did Jesus never mention?

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1666519' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:18 PM']“RELIGULOUS” IS MORE ABSURD THAN HATEFUL

September 29, 2008

Catholic League director of communications Susan A. Fani attended a preview of the Bill Maher movie, “Religulous,” in New York City on September 25. In her report to league president Bill Donohue, it was clear that the film is more absurd than hateful. Here is Donohue’s take on the movie as informed by Fani’s observations:

“Maher has been on a crusade smearing Catholicism for many years, sometimes viciously so. It was therefore expected that ‘Religulous’ would offer more of the same. But in fairness, this did not happen. As we already knew, Maher’s movie was not going to single out Catholicism for derision—Protestantism, Judaism, Islam and other religions are afforded cheap shots—but what we did not know is that he wouldn’t succumb to the kind of slanderous assaults on priests, for instance, that he has made in the past. Nor did we know that he would resist making vile comments about core religious beliefs.

“On the other hand, it is pure nonsense to play Catholicism off against science. After all, were it not for the role of the Catholic Church, there would have been no Scientific Revolution and no early breakthroughs in astronomy. Equally dumb is the assertion that the Ten Commandments are flawed because they don’t speak to child abuse, rape and torture. Had Maher gone to more religion classes, he would have learned that the central taboos listed are umbrella strictures that cover a host of subsidiary sins. And why did he bother to take out of context statements from people like John Adams that make the Founding Fathers sound anti-religion? Adams has often been quoted as saying that the Constitution was made ‘only for a moral and religious people.'

“More important, if Jesus is not the Son of God, as Maher contends, then why does he waste time—and make himself look silly in the process—by invoking Jesus’ name to give homosexuality a pass? In the flick, Maher argues that homosexuality couldn’t be so bad if Jesus never mentioned it. And, of course, Maher’s contention that religion kills looks rather feeble given that the 20th century was the most violent in history. Hasn’t he noticed that Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot were expressly atheistic and anti-religious? In any event, Catholicism will survive ‘Religulous.'"[/quote]

"On the other hand, it is pure nonsense to play Catholicism off against science. [b]After all, were it not for the role of the Catholic Church, there would have been no Scientific Revolution [/b]and no early breakthroughs in astronomy."

LOL!

That was Islamic Spain, Francis Bacon, and Gallello.

The Scientific Revolution would have come about just fine without the Catholic Church.

I think I'm gonna go see this movie. And American Carol and How to Lose Friends & Alienate People. I think they all come out Friday.

Kinda like a full-day date, but just with myself.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1666970' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:04 PM']I just listened to NPR's interview with the creator of this so-called "documentary." The interviewer tried to press them about moderate Christianity along with other Christians (such as Catholics) who do not interpret the Bible strictly literally, but they skirted around the question by re-stating their opinion that religion serves no purpose. I find their arguments to be pretty lame, not because I disagree with the conclusion, but because the logic is bad. They only have two reasons for hating religion: people have done bad things in the name of religion and some religious people have unreasonable beliefs.

Following that, they interviewed the creator of beliefnet.com and he actually did bring up the point that their movie targets fundamentalists and forgets that most Christians or religious people are not fundamentalist at all and he pointed out all the good things that religious people have done for society.

So all this movie really does is point out the clear flaws in fundamentalism, which we already knew about.[/quote]

Well, that's good. :D

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1666870' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:32 AM']Interesting. Unfortunately, there may be one or two people who might think they've learned something from this movie. My advice is to brush up on the easy apologetics on the topics brought up in that synopsis.[/quote]

Most definitely.

[quote name='Paddington' post='1667211' date='Sep 30 2008, 07:25 PM']I think I'm gonna go see this movie. And American Carol and How to Lose Friends & Alienate People. I think they all come out Friday.

Kinda like a full-day date, but just with myself.[/quote]

I've never done one of those at the movies, but always kind of wanted to... hehe

[quote name='Hassan' post='1667102' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:07 PM']"On the other hand, it is pure nonsense to play Catholicism off against science. [b]After all, were it not for the role of the Catholic Church, there would have been no Scientific Revolution [/b]and no early breakthroughs in astronomy."

LOL!

That was Islamic Spain, Francis Bacon, and Gallello.

The Scientific Revolution would have come about just fine without the Catholic Church.[/quote]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5JUQ7fTIg"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5JUQ7fTIg[/url]

Edited by lilac_angel